PDA

View Full Version : Bmx Bike Story........................

G-MAN-1
04-23-2003, 09:37 PM
was at the bike shop today getting parts and stuff for my son since he broke all the necks and stuff on his.i bought him a bmx race bike for 175 buxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. bought it at joe fix its in goshen new york. the kid working there told me that GT AND SCHWIN sold out to walmart couldnt believe it. so i bought his last gt dyno neck he had and the bike from him. couldnt believe i spent over 200 buxx on bmx bike stuff for a 6 yr old. and i hope he doesnt snapp this bike in half. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :? :? :? :? :idea:

Yamaha_Rules69
04-23-2003, 10:58 PM
Lol. Sounds like your son needs a Haro bike. I own one, and believe me, they can take a beating. I think their better than any GT, Dyno, or anything like that.

ATCRYDER
04-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Yep, GT/DYNO/Schwinn.........The absolute powerhouse of bicycles are bought out by Pacific Cycles about 1 year ago. Brings a tear to my eye, being a rider since the 80's. =0(

Kilborg
04-24-2003, 03:44 AM
Me too. I used to race bmx on a schwinn and occassionally a haro monocoque. Sad to see some of the higher quality bikes going this route, but thats how trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro is.

I really loved racing bmx, but had to move. I was up for a local shop sponosoring me for racing in the NBL. I was about 3 races away from making expert class too...oh well.

Ace Mon
04-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Schwinn was kinda lame there for a while but GT ?!!!!! I used to race a gt preformer . BLAST ! I mean come on weve all seen those lame new Mongooses that are out now . Sounds like redline is the next to sell out to me .

lisnup65
04-24-2003, 02:20 PM
Anyone here old enough to remember GJS? I still have 1 of these frames in mint condition from the 80's BMX era. This was made the same time as Thruster, PK Rippers, etc. GJS stood for Greg, Jeff, and Scott, which were 3 top racers at the time. They came out with their own bike frame that they raced exclusively. I beleive that it is 1 out of like 150 made.

ATCRYDER
04-24-2003, 02:36 PM
I do remember PK Rippers. I've got a practically unharmed full PK sitting up @ my mother's house actually.

I've still got my collection of bikes. Actually im cleanin house and eBayin alot of stuff i have no use for. I'm an avid Mountain biker.

My Pride and Joy of my bike collection has to be my Early 90's (91-94) Haro Group 1 RS4 (nothins stock!..but hey!). Thats the one bike i will never sell. Its worth more than $500 to me personally.

My Schwinn Hardtail is out in the garage gettin a huge facelift right now. Im gonna put a Full Suspenion Schwinn, GT, GF, or Trek frame onto this summer or sooner. Right now Im running it like this:
-Schwinn High Sierra S/S Hardtail Red Frame (95-97 model...old!). The thing is love is I've neve seen a Bike (croMo or Alum.) that weighs what this one weighs. Its as light as air and strong as CroMo can be.
-01 RockShox Judy TT's. Rebuild with the 02/03 Springs.
-Cant recall my Rims but they retail for $329.99 and were worth every penny i paid. Disc hubs.
-Avid Front Disc Brake with a Shimano V-Brake on the back (frame aint disc compatible!!! arrrgh)
I'm currently converting it from a 7 speed to a 9 speed (still need front derailler, right shifter pod, rear sprockets and chain). oughta be real nice done.

Got the little extras: T.H.E. Blue DH Front Fender and CatEye (Mity 3 I think?) clear orange computer...would rather go to wireless but all the wireless ones jsut suck except the $80 Panorama that people use on atv's even.

looks like we got enough bikers here....if you guys would like to start a thread to show our collections, thatd be cool.

Rob

FullBore
04-25-2003, 03:45 PM
I've got a full suspension Saracen RAW2, Its a good bike and handles real nice but I keep breaking it, I reckon I'm a bit rough! in the 3 years I've had it I've smashed 4 derailiures, 2 gear cassettes, 3 chains, 2 wheels and snapped a fork spring clean in half, have also torn 2 tires and bent the front sprockets.
i never have any trouble with the 110 ( I don't think I'm as rough with that!)

Nat

speed20
04-26-2003, 04:07 PM
what about the older (90's) vertigo GT's???? i was looking them up because my uncle used to race em....he said they were pretty good....i was thinkin about getting one...any input on them?

ATCRYDER
04-26-2003, 04:24 PM
I own one Chrome Vertigo.

They are a freestyle bike, not a BMX Bike. If you want a BMX Bike and want the Best BMX Company (former anyways): Gt Power Series 1.0 or 3.0 or a Speed Series.