PDA

View Full Version : Weight for garden tractor

85hondaatc125m
02-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Hi, I just got a garden tractor (1986 ford yt16h), and I have a snow blower attachment for it. Well I went down the driveway, and I was coming back up and it just spun out, so I had to pull it back up the driveway with the trike. Well anyways I have chains on the tires, but they don't work good without weight, and I was wondering what is a good way to get weight for the tractor, I think i will put fluid in the tires, I also thought about wheel weights and suitcase weights but they are so expensive. Anyone have any other good idea's of what might work? BTW I only weigh 115lbs so that is why I need weight to it. Thanks. And here is a pic of the tractor

DarkestGKnight
02-23-2007, 12:33 AM
wat i do is i put like lifting weights on the back of it to way it down or sinder blocks but u gotta rig it up.

85hondaatc125m
02-23-2007, 12:49 AM
I was thinking about using lifting weights, but what I was going to do is some how custom fit them on as wheel weights, it would look stupid, very stupid, but it might work.

DarkestGKnight
02-23-2007, 01:08 AM
um hm thats kinda hard to keep them on? but who cares how they look as long as they work.

firehart
02-23-2007, 01:13 AM
You just need a lard arse to ride it. :lol: Go the the scrap yard and get some heavy steel.

BigReds Forever
02-23-2007, 02:17 AM
if it has a hitch, you could rig up some kind of 3 point weight box and throw anything heavy you got laying around in there

dizasterzrfun69
02-23-2007, 02:38 AM
put a couple cast iron weights under the seat. My uncle did this on his john deere and it worked pretty dam good.

nate b
02-23-2007, 08:53 AM
backpack full of rocks?

85hondaatc125m
02-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Well I think I have a fairly good idea of how to rig up lifting weights to the wheel, and because the tractor is open diff, ill put 30lbs on the tire that always spins and 15lbs on the other side, I will also try and get some fluid in the tires which will add maybe 20lbs? Then Ill see If I can find any spare Heavy Metal around somewhere to rig up to the hitch, but keep the idea's coming, everyone helps!

rugabugadouglas
02-23-2007, 04:17 PM
take some square weight bench weights and run a long bolt throug the hole in the weights then go through the hitch works on my tractor

Bryan Raffa
02-23-2007, 10:12 PM
threded rod with a couple nuts through the hitch hole and silp on some weight bench weights

Dave223
02-23-2007, 11:49 PM
if you fill with water, wouldnt it freeze?:D J/k
And water is 8 lbs. per gallon if it helps figure the weight.

85hondaatc125m
02-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Alright, so I was out looking at the tractor and such, and on one side of the tractor I can lift the side of the tractor easy with one hand, but the other side I can barely lift it at all? Has anyone had this problem? I guess it gets stuck so easy because the one side has all the weight to it and the tire that spins is up off the ground! So I was thinking about just putting fluid in the one tires that barely weights anything, and then see how it goes from there. Raffa, I was thinking the exact same idea, and when i get the wheel filled with fluids Ill load the thread rod up with 45lbs of weight. Dave223, I guess they have some kind of calcium fluid that wont freeze, and to fill one tire with about 40lbs of weight it only cost $30, not too bad of price. Thanks again for all the help guys! And if you have anymore comments keep em coming!