PDA

View Full Version : 2008 4-stroke Banshee?

Groundworx
02-23-2007, 11:34 PM
I got the new Dirt Wheels today (april 2007). On the cover is a 4 stroke banshee. It looks like Yamaha is testing some 4 stroke 500cc twin cylinder Banshees in Japan. I just skimmed over the artical and there doesn't seem to be much info. on it yet other than Yamaha is testing many different prototypes. Basically they are saying it is 2 YZF250 cylinders or half of an R1 motor. There is actually talk of it coming out with 60-70 hp out of the box, but may even be as high as 85hp (1/2 of the R1). It will be interesting to see what Yamaha actually does with this. I am wondering about the powerband of the twin 4 stroke motor. Will it have more torque/bottom end power, or be higher revving like a sport bike.

I looked on Dirt Wheels website and they don't have the picture of it and I couldn't find one on the net anywhere. They only show a side view of the quad in the magazine, but it looks like the Banshee radiator with Raptor/YFZ450 front fenders and headlights.

yamaha225
02-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Cool can't wait to hear more about it. I was hoping that Yamaha would build something to replace the Banshee and Blaster. I just hope that they keep the Banshee name and not name it after another dinosaur.

El'Capitan
02-24-2007, 01:24 AM
sounds cool, they should introduce a new quad, a banshee 4stroke just wouldnt be right, after 20 years of it being a 350 twin 2stroke.

Louis Mielke
02-24-2007, 02:01 AM
ha! The APRIL issue? I smell an april fools joke.

tecat-z
02-24-2007, 02:49 AM
Thats the engine currently used in yamahas warrior sled. 80 hp out of the box. Of course with all of the drag of the track against the skid frame and skis dragging on snow there is lots of power lost in just getting it going. And thats crankshaft hp also. But the sled is very quick on launch. On wheels it would take far less power to be downright dangerous for all of the idiot riders out there. It's not a variant of the R1. Its two yz250f engines siamezed together with monoblock cylinder similar to cheetah cub banshee cylinders. Also a tranny would have to be engineered or else a cvt setup like the sled or the big utility quads have. But a 6 speed would me much more fun. As far as torque this would pull your arms out coming of the hole and with a 12,500 rpm ceiling, top end would be superior to ANYTHING ever made. I just cant see them building this thing without severely taming it down. If they thought trikes were dangerous, the cpsc would have seisures over this. But if they do it would sure be on my list of must rides. Well see.

Groundworx
02-24-2007, 09:06 AM
ha! The APRIL issue? I smell an april fools joke.

I am a subscriber.. I got the April issue yesterday. If it was a joke, I would come up with something better than that....

I really kinda thought that that the YFZ450's purpose was to replace the Banshee. It is a version of the engine found in thier sled, but with a manual transmission.

devildog_0431
02-25-2007, 12:50 AM
It is a joke, they do this every year...I saw it too. I tried to google and yahoo search it w/ no avail....if it was true there would be an internet lead on it, i seriously doubt yamaha will produce a 500 4stroke to replace the 350.

yamaha225
02-25-2007, 12:58 AM
When Dirtwheels does an april fools joke if you would read the end of the story they'll admit that it's a joke. There was an article in a past issue not sure if it was dirtwheels talking about that motor possibly being put in a quad chassis.

TravEX
02-25-2007, 10:19 AM
April fool's issue.

Groundworx
02-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I read the artical and it doesn't say anywhere in it about being an april fools joke. Mabey it is, I don't know. It doesn't sound that far fetched to me though. The Banshee was a real popular quad. If they could make more money by producing another version of it, why not? I googled it too before I started this thread and didn't find anything on it either. I wondered about that, but I have googled other stuff before and not been able to find anything too. I wouldn't suprised either way.

scooterroo
02-25-2007, 12:29 PM
i wouldnt be suprised. but whats the sence is my question. they already have a big four stroke in the raptor. kawi has a twin cylinder four stroke...the "v-force". mean bike, but heavy heavy heavy. and it would be better if it was a manual shift, instead of that cvt type clutch thingy.

BigGreenMachine
02-25-2007, 12:45 PM
The 500 twin four stroke is used in the Yamaha Phazer. 80hp in a long travel sno-x style sled. Very nice machine and the motor is a real performer. I'd love to see it as reality in a Banshee but the chassis would be my last choice.

RichinMO
02-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, it's an April fool's joke. They do it every year. Look in the front of the magazine and they show the cover of a past issue with the Honda 750EX. They morphed an Aquatrax jetski and a quad and called it a new secret model. Last year it was the Honda hippo side by side.

TravEX
02-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Does Wal-Marks not carry Dirt Wheels anymore?! I let me subscription run out a few monthes ago, and have been buying em each month. I have yet to find the March or April Dirt Wheels in WM.

RichinMO
02-25-2007, 11:11 PM
The Wal-marts here do, but I just got my April issue in the mail on Saturday.

Groundworx
02-26-2007, 12:21 AM
I seen that where the 750EX was on the cover. I remember that floating around a few years ago. I didn't know it was a joke though. I thought it just never made it into production. It doesn't say anywhere that it is a joke so I don't know. I can't believe though that Yamaha will just do away with the Banshee and Blaster and not replace them with something new. I know they already have the Raptor 660, 350 and YFZ450 in thier sport line up. I just can't see them dropping 2 of thier most popular quads and not replacing them. Even though they are 2 strokes. Let's face it, the Raptor doesn't stack up to a lot of riders expectations and the YFZ450 isn't really that good for much more than MX. I have nothing against either quad, but that is how a lot of the ATV community feels. Well, I guess we will see if it is a joke or if it makes it into production in the future. I like my 400EX, I just thought the idea of a new Banshee was cool.

oldsking86
02-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Well they are getting rid of the 2 strokes due to pollution issues, that's been a problem all the bike companys had to deal with. Hell a banshee 4 stroke or not, and with around 80hp, now we're talking a FAST freaking bike not to recon with lol
(I wouldn't mind that power in my bike)

As for a hoax you never know but bringing the banshee back with a different powerplant is a very huge possiblity. Look at GM with the new camaros, one of the most popular cars of it's time, stopped it in 02 and decided to freshen it up with looks and power again in 08-09. Time's change but these companies know what made them money; for yamaha it was the popular and fast 350 shee's.

El'Capitan
02-26-2007, 01:24 AM
but the thing is....imagine if they brought back the camaro....but it had a 4-cylinder in it. Thats pretty much bringing back the shee w/ a 4stroke engine in it.

oldsking86
02-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Well emissions laws destroyed the muscle car days just like it has ruined 2 stroke bikes. We're not going to see 2 strokes anymore being made. Though if yamaha brings this shee out with the motor they state making close to 80hp I'm sure it will be faster then the older 350's...

scooterroo
02-26-2007, 01:44 PM
from what i understand chevy is coming out with an all new 5th generation camaro and i beieve as early as 2008? keep your eyes open, and from the pics i have seen, the car is awesome looking. almost like ford did witht he mustang, they went back in time and updated the 67-69 camaro. engine wise i am not sure yet, but i highly doubt it is coming out with a 4 banger. to badass looking of a car to have a 4 banger. heres a link to some info...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4

DixiePlowboy
02-26-2007, 03:50 PM
I read that article while my wife shopped standing in Wal-Mart. I kept expecting "April Fools" as DW has been known to do in the past.

SWIGIN
02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
dirt wheels wont let on that its a april fools joke till next month...or at least thats how it used to be

BigGreenMachine
02-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Darn. Would like to see that machine come into production.

nate b
02-27-2007, 06:45 PM
I think a 4-stroke banshee is stupid and a discrace to the name. But I'm sure it would sell good with everybody brainwashed into the whole 4-stroke thing.

BigGreenMachine
02-27-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm far from four stroke brainwashed (hate them!) but 80hp and a five digit redline speak to my adrenaline glands.

It fits, two cylinder and big hp numbers are what made the Banshee famous/appealing.

The new Phazer fourstroke is a groundbreaking machine in the sled world and the motor is nothing short of amazing. To have it in the Shee platform would be cool but I don't think the chassis is up to it. If they made it an aluminum version that was totally redesigned then heck yeah but not Shee geometry.

Mosh
02-28-2007, 08:47 AM
I for one am all for new product developement,But to stuff a 4 stroke motor in a quad and call it a Banshee Is not real appealing to me.Sure it may be faster or whatever,But the twin 2 stroke Banshee will always be they way I see them.They should call it something else.I dont know about the joke from the mag,But there has been rumors for a while now Yamaha was going to do something like this for the Banshee replacement.I would think it would be pointless to make that and be between a yfz450 and Raptor 700.At least make it a twin 700cc

3Razors
02-28-2007, 11:31 AM
I think a 4-stroke banshee is stupid and a discrace to the name. But I'm sure it would sell good with everybody brainwashed into the whole 4-stroke thing.

I agree. It wont hit 80hp off the showroom floor, but with AlOT of massaging it will probably bring 70-80hp tops. Then you have figure in the heavier engine which doesn't do well with the ultra light power-to-weight ration of the original banshee. The banshee at the dunes has given streetbike powered quads a spanking a long time because of this. The Banshee is capable of 100hp with stock cylinders and are very light. Keep in mind this statement is for drag racing, for trail riding or duning it could be a different story.

Would a 4 stroke banshee be cool? Maybe sorta, just dont call it a banshee because the original will still be the king.

oldsking86
02-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Agreed, the banshee name is king!

Though cmon on guys the 2 strokes are not going to be around anymore due to emissions and pollution laws! They are pretty much done and we can still have what we have but on the production line it's going to slowly dissapear as it has already. I think they should retire the banshee name and come up with something new and with a powerplant that can be labled as a beast in itself. A vtwin 700cc owuld be sick, and manual tranny you better hold on! Look at the 700 kawi's with auto's and they rip, imagine manual trannys!

nate b
02-28-2007, 08:21 PM
2-strokes can be made to pass emmisions with flying colors! Its all about sales and repairs, something different comes out and Bammo...everybody thinks its better, so they buy it. And why keep 2-strokes around, every backyard mechanic can change a set of rings and an occasional piston. 2-3 years from now when all these machines need cams,timing chains,rings,oil pumps,valves,starters,batteries,etc. the dealers will be flooded and thats where they really make the $. Not to mention the scheduled oil changes vs. just opening up a quart of oil and dumping it in.
same way every body got brainwashed into the 6.0 worthless powerstroke diesel,how many of them have been back to the shop? how many 5.4 or the v-10 have returned? not many. Thats why you dont see them on the floor, cuz they dont want to sell. I personaly know of 25 v-10's with over 200,000mi that have never been back to the dealer.

Not to say a 80hp quad wouldnt be cool, but its a scam. I'm still protesting the debut of 4-wheelers by not buying a new one, let alone try to ban my 2-stroke, it will be a cold day in hell before I would pay yamaha any thing after they dropped all 2-strokes from there lineup. Maybe if everybody else did the same( its not easy sometimes) thing they would actually have to bring back the popular 3-wheeler. But theres too many people out there who believe everything new is better! I probably should just go along with it but I've missed out on owning a quad for 20 years so I can hold off a couple more!

tecat-z
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
6.0, yeah junk, the old 7.3 great engines. My work has 3 7.3 turbo diesels ranging from 96 to 2000 and they are real workhorses, and they get beat, as they are city used vehicles used for plowing, hauling and everything else. Lots of hard miles and still running fine. All of our 6.0s have had various problems from turbos, to computers, to sticky wastegates. And even a complete failure that warranted replacement under warranty. 22,000. But hey ford is out to redeem themselves and maybe finally make money by not replacing $9,000 engines. Can the new 6.4 save face? Well see. Oh and by the way, die hard two stroke fan as well, when it comes to performance.

3Razors
02-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Nate, it's nice to see someone that has the same views! The 6.0 is just worthless! I was so dissapointed when Ford replaced the 7.3 with the 6.0. I aswell new ahead of time that this engine setup was a joke and did nothing more than put more maintanence cost in fords pocket and agrivate consumers. The 7.3 was stone ax reliable and I see lots of them with over 300,000 that run great. The 6.0 practically "lives" at the dealer always for some sensor, gasket, ect. to be replaced.

In the end it always comes back to the same thing MONEY! What ever is going to make the manufactures the most money that is where they are headed. These 450 4 strokes have maintanence schedules near the same as a 2 stroke, the difference is it costs ALOT more to rebuild them which is what the companies want more money. They dont want to put the research and design in making a emissions efficient 2 stroke because more $$$ is to be made if you sell a 4 stroke bike over a 2 stroke one as it has more moving parts which drives the retail price up. I know im pretty old school in my views, but America is way too brainwashed to know any better.

nate b
02-28-2007, 11:35 PM
praise the Lord, there is still somebody on the earth with a brain besides myself!!!!

Groundworx
03-01-2007, 12:17 AM
I don't know if it is a joke or not. You gotta remember, Yamaha has always been a big player in the quad market. Over the past few years, Yamaha has had a more complete and broader line of ATVs for the comsumer to choose from. They were the first to introduce a 450cc sport quad. One of the first to introduce a large displacment sport quad. And the only to produce a twin cylinder 2 stroke. And they kept 2 stroke ATV's alive for a good 15 years or better after the other manufactures stopped production.

I don't see where it is hard to believe that they would want to produce a higher hp quad. How much hp do the 450's have from the factory? 45-50 hp? ( I don't know, just guessing). Why would a 60-80 hp quad be hard to believe? Look at the 96 corvette compared to the 2006. GM bunmped the hp up 100+ hp. I have driven numerous vette's of all years. There is a big difference in that 10 year model span. I realize there is going to have to be a lot of chasis work to handle the higher hp. Like I have said though, it may be a joke. I don't see why it would be that hard to believe though. The picture that DW used is obviously doctored on a computered. It is nothing more than an old Banshee with YFZ 450 or Raptor front fenders. And of course the 4 stroke powerplant.

deathman53
03-01-2007, 12:50 AM
With the april issue of dirtwheels, if it seams very new, never seen or heard about and innovative, its most likely a april fools joke. Do the other atv magazines have it? if not, then its definetly a joke. I agree with 3 razors about the stuff he put, its all about $. 4 strokes may sound great, untill you have to adjust the valves, rebuild it as often as a 2 stroke, the $20 spark plug they use, almost constant oil changes. In the end...you are working on it, as much if not more than a 2 stroke. The old 4 strokes were very reilable, little maintence, and cheap. How many 350x's on this site are on the original top end????? Go and ask 450 owners this in 2 years. I have a f350 with the 7.3 diseal motor, this thing hauls ass, I am told it will pull just about anything short of a needing a tractor trailer for it. I bought it with 120,000 miles. I see them hauling everything I can think off, horse trailers, 30" enclosed car trailers, 5th wheel travel trailers, etc.

BigGreenMachine
03-05-2007, 02:32 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=54451

Looks like that concept quad has been around before all this April fools crap. When are the new quads being announced?

Gunnar
03-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Just so long as they dont change the look of the shee. I think it is one of the best looking quads of all time.

saturnshadow
03-21-2007, 07:09 PM
i don't understand this...
the 2 stroke issue was fixed, they put a rubber diagram in the motor and then the oil and gas didn't have to be mixed anymore. This was in popular science a wile back.