PDA

View Full Version : Motocross Bike or Quad? Need help with decision

250sxRacer
04-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Guys i hate to say this but im selling my trike. Its a Honda ATC250sx. Its getting to slow for me. I was looking into get a motocross bike preferably 125 or a quad was thinking about a blaster. I would like some suggestion on this. Keep in mind i weigh about 160 and im 15. i only road motocross bikes a couple times before but thats what im leaning towards. I would love to get another 3 wheeler like a 250R, Tecate, or tri-z but I dont have the money for that. So what will it be a motocross bike or quad. All opinions welcome and please be specific on make and model of which ever think.

Instinctz
04-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Well honestly, if you dont have the money for a $900-$1700 trike, how can you justify a 3k blaster, or other? I wouldt trade off the trike for a blaster, or much anything unless I was going to buy a cr125 (too little for me), cr250,cr500 (too big for racing), or a 250r, 400ex, or banshee. Since the 250r trike can easily compeat with all the quads I listed, yet remands under $2000, its obviously the trike that I would get.

Racing MX costs alot, well I guess its like everything, you could race with a blaster that isnt modded that much ect. ect... but I just dont see the point unless your goin all out (costs money, that you dont have).

My cents..

84250r
04-24-2003, 09:03 PM
You could go with an older stlye motocross bike. '85-'90 125 would be enough.

250sxRacer
04-24-2003, 09:30 PM
i was looking at like a $800 blaster or an older 125 like 88-93. i guess i could afford a 250r if i wanted to put out the money but im not really into all that.

TimSr
04-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Are you actually going to compete or are you just looking at practice track riding?

250sxRacer
04-24-2003, 10:11 PM
i would love to race but only once i get good enough at motocross right now am can ride quads a 3 wheeler almost as good as ne one in the same age group around here. i was thinking if i got a bike i would start racing next year but the i thought about the winter and i love to ride in the snow so im debating preety much on a blaster or 125 bike. if i get a quad or a nother 3 wheeler i definitly want a 2 stroke. there is no dought in my mind about that. that is y i picked the blaster plus i know the r pretty cheap to mod.

Yamaha_Rules69
04-24-2003, 10:17 PM
I would go with the dirtbike. Dirtbikes are a lot of fun, and it seems like they cost less to maintain compared to the newer quads. The blaster is a pretty small quad too at that. They are mainly for beginners, short riders, and you would probly outgrow it quickly. On the other hand, if you had the dirtbike, you would never really outgrow it. You can get really good on a 125, and they can do a LOT more than a blaster. If you get a 125, get either a Honda CR or a Yamaha YZ. my.02

250sxRacer
04-24-2003, 10:23 PM
yes if i got a dirt bike it would definitly be a honda or yamaha. i personly think all other dirt bikes suck.

TimSr
04-24-2003, 11:08 PM
If you are considering competition, what I would suggest is first checking with what ever local organization or track you are considering racing in, as far as what you can race, age groups, and what classes they have. Where I race, they have a Blaster class, so you wouldnt need to worry about running against 400EX's and 250Rs, and it would be a great choice, especially for your physical size. Also, just an observation, but some of these modified Blasters with a 240 stroker have no problem keeping up with a stock 250R. The other reason Id lean towards quad racing over the bike is that you have already developed the basic skills needed for a quad on your trike. Former trike riders make the best quad racers, because you do everything the same on the quad, except that its a lot more forgiving of your mistakes and imperfections that the trike will point out to you. One of the better 4 stroke class (400EX) quad riders I know, practices on tracks with his 200X to hone his riding techniques.

Bikes are fun too, and it comes down to preference, but if youre looking at competition, youre likley to do better in less time riunning something you already know how to handle.

NOS_350X
04-25-2003, 01:35 AM
ok well i'm 16 and weigh the same as you and i ride a 97 yz 125 and i love it (me on it in my altavar (i think i spelled it right)) i say get the bike but first look at what people around you ride it the majority have quads get a quad or visa versa

250sxRacer
04-25-2003, 10:27 PM
im still debating but i think im goin to go with w/e is the better deal at the time. thanx for all trailprotrailpro inputs