PDA

View Full Version : 2bbl to 4bbl help

mean350
03-02-2007, 07:54 PM
besides the intake and carb what do i need? it seems like my kickdown cable and throottle cable is too short. d o i need new ones or am i doing something wrong?
thanks in advance

BigReds Forever
03-02-2007, 09:31 PM
i will assume your doing this on that Chevy in your sig. The cables should work for either setup, depending on the linkage setup on the carb, and the rise of the intake. More info would be nice as to if this is on a small block, what intake your using, what carb, ect....

cr480r
03-03-2007, 12:37 AM
besides the intake and carb what do i need? it seems like my kickdown cable and throottle cable is too short. d o i need new ones or am i doing something wrong?
thanks in advance

Are you using a factory carb, or aftermarket? I doubt you are doing anything wrong, This is a common problem to have when changing to a 4bbl. You may need to buy or build a different throttle cable bracket. I have seen alot of people have setups that dont even allow full throttle opening, so watch for that. I have made extensions for trans cables before, but the proper cable for the bracket used is best. Definately take the time to hook it up correctly. It is necessary for proper transmission opperation.

Mosh
03-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Summit racing sells universal throttle cable and kickdown cable brackets for the 4 bbl swap.It is common that If you do the swap on a Chevy the cables end up being slightly shorter.The brackets will help.

mean350
03-03-2007, 11:05 AM
its goning on a 79 chevy k10 w a 1970 chevy 307 small block from a chevelle. im using an edlebrock torker 2 intake and a holley 600 carb.im gonna ttry to move the bracket location. ill look into the summit racing brackets too. thanks

cr480r
03-03-2007, 08:33 PM
I would ditch the torker 2... Get a Performer or Performer rpm. You will be much, much happier... The torker sacrafices low-end performance, and has no HP gain over a modern dual-plenum manifold. The name is very mis-leading. I had a nearly stock(cam, manifold, headers)350 in a S-10 with a torker 2 that wouldnt even spin the tires(unless power-braked). Then I changed only the manifold, to a Performer RPM and it was nearly undrivable with a open-differential.

mean350
03-03-2007, 08:53 PM
i like the torker 2. i have never tried the performer or anything though. anyways i got it back togeteher and all it does is backfire when i crank it. i think my timing is off. any tips on stting it would be nice.... t

cr480r
03-04-2007, 01:37 PM
i like the torker 2. i have never tried the performer or anything though. anyways i got it back togeteher and all it does is backfire when i crank it. i think my timing is off. any tips on stting it would be nice.... t

I didnt mean to sound rude or anything. I was just trying to offer a suggestion based on experience. If I am alone or dont have remote starter switch handy, I usually pull the driver side valve cover and turn the crankshaft with a wrench until the timing mark is slightly advanced(about 8 degrees) on the pointer with both valves shut. Then I take the distributor and make a mark on the base where the #1 terminal on the cap lines up. Then I set the distributor into the engine with the rotor just past(clockwise) the mark I made. Be sure there is clearance for the vaccum advance to move both ways for adjustment. The distributor seldom drops in where I want it, so I take a long screwdriver and turn the oil pump drive until it lines up with where I want my distributor to set(usually takes a couple attempts). Then I put my cap and plugwires back on. This usually gets them close enough to run. Next time, just mark the position of the rotor before pullling the distributor, dont turn the engine over, and put it back in pointing the same way.

mean350
03-04-2007, 03:28 PM
yeah i put the distributor in w the rotor facing the no.1 terminal and lined up the groove. i think i had the no.1 cylinder at tdc. when i crank it it dont backfire out the exaust anymore. bad thing it backfired through the carb and caught on fire. luckily i had a fire extingsher though. im gonna sell the holley and go buy a quadrajet and try that. when i get a job im gonna buy the performer intake too!!

cr480r
03-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Yeah alot of people dislike holleys. I love them. What causes you to want to replace it so soon? When you brought the #1 cylinder to TDC, did you verify that it was on the compression stroke with both valves shut? The easiest ways I know are to put a finger over the plug hole while a buddy "bumps" the engine over with the starter, when your finger blows off the hole use a wrench to bring it the rest of the up to the timing marks. Or just pull the drivers side valve cover and peek at the rocker arms while turning it over..

mean350
03-05-2007, 07:54 AM
the reason for selling the holley is cause everybody keeps saying there junk

Mr. Clean
03-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Holleys are not JUNK, I run one in my 57 chevy. Got pics of your 57? I swapped from a quadrajet and put a perfomer q-jet and holley 650 dbl pumper. It is nice to have the small primaries and look out when those secondaries open up.

I also like what cr480r said, I use a compression gauge to find TDC always worked for me.

bondoboy
03-06-2007, 10:56 AM
the reason for selling the holley is cause everybody keeps saying there junk

Anyone who says that shouldn't even be allowed to open the hood on a car. The holleys I've put on were trouble free and gave a more violent feel.

mean350
03-06-2007, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=chevy57harley79]Holleys are not JUNK, I run one in my 57 chevy. Got pics of your 57? I swapped from a quadrajet and put a perfomer q-jet and holley 650 dbl pumper. It is nice to have the small primaries and look out when those secondaries open up.

I also like what cr480r said, I use a compression gauge to find TDC always worked for me.[/

i cant say anything about the hjolleys cause i never ran one. now i might keep mine after what you guys said. my 57 in the process of a restoration. its been sitting in a garage since88. it was my dads and he did a frame off restoration on it. i wanbt to get the disc brake conversion for it in the near future.

Mr. Clean
03-06-2007, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=chevy57harley79]Holleys are not JUNK, I run one in my 57 chevy. Got pics of your 57? I swapped from a quadrajet and put a perfomer q-jet and holley 650 dbl pumper. It is nice to have the small primaries and look out when those secondaries open up.

I also like what cr480r said, I use a compression gauge to find TDC always worked for me.[/

i cant say anything about the hjolleys cause i never ran one. now i might keep mine after what you guys said. my 57 in the process of a restoration. its been sitting in a garage since88. it was my dads and he did a frame off restoration on it. i wanbt to get the disc brake conversion for it in the near future.

Some years ago I bought 2" dropped spindles that would allow disc brakes. The disc's are the s-10, camaro, firebird style. I replaced them two years ago with Stainless steel brakes calipers and their slotted rotors. I also added dual master cylinder and power brake booster. I also added a sway bar in the front and it made a huge difference. Some where on this site I have posted pics. It is a nice driver, not a show car, but fun. If you have a camera post some pics, I love to see projects. The Holley has much better throttle response than the q-jet. The 57 like the three wheelers are never done!!! I have had my 57 for 20 years and have done almost everything two or three times. I will get some pics and post them in this thread tomorrow.

Mike D.

mean350
03-06-2007, 04:17 PM
heres some pics.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=56322&highlight=mean350

Mr. Clean
03-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Sweet 2dr hardtop, red just like mine. electric wiper motor, nice car lots of potential. If you dont know about it already chevytalk.org is a great website. They have a forum dedicated to stock and modified 55-57's. If you need any help, advice let me know as I am very familiar with the 57 two door hardtop.

I know money does not grow on trees but here are some things I see right away. Get rid of the headers and get some 2 1/2 ram horn manifolds for a corvette. You can then run a nice set of 2 1/2 pipes which will give the nice deep tone. I run true duals, no crossover. They reproduce the manifolds and you do not have the clearance issues like you will with headers and they are cheaper. If you dont get a power brake booster and dual master cylinder at least get the dual master cylinder, major safety issue. I knew a guy who got mc/bb out of a junk yard and made it work, instead of spending big bucs. If you go that route get the propotioning valve. Get a shock bar for the rear shocks, not to expensive and your trunk floor will not get beat to death. Weak point to say the least, taking the load on 12 gauge sheet metal on a 50 year old car.

Cragars are cool and they give the car the old school look. Me I like Chevy rallye wheels, with 1967 flat dish centers. You can easily run an 8" in the back and 7" in the front. Very easy to maintain. You will have plenty of chrome and stainless to polish, so anywhere you can eliminate this will save you time and money.

I dont fully know your plans but mechanical reliability first then cosmetics. It took me along time to figure this one out. I still have chrome pieces in the storage closet. Sorry for the long post but the 57 chevy bel air is the sweetest, was always my dream car.

mean350
03-06-2007, 06:26 PM
yeah i know what your talking about. after i get everything working the way i want it iwill worry bout the cosmetics. i want to puul the motor and paint the block and get some chrome for it. the motor is a 350 that was rebuilt righ before it was parked. the brakes are my first priority. what do you thuink of them brake kits on ebay for like 500 bux?

Mr. Clean
03-07-2007, 10:09 AM
In these pics you can see the "ram" horn manifolds. The griffin aluminum radiator, aluminum edelbrock water pump, the Holley 650, mechanical and electric fan, MSD ready to run distributor, and the unfinished interior. I also run a one wire alternator 110 amp. My 85 250r and the reason I am #57. I know chrome is Bling bling, but I gotta tell say after trying to keep up with polishing and the upkeep for chrome, I have tried to eliminate it as much as possible. Florida and the salt air take its toll on chrome and aluminum.

I am not familiar with the brake kit from Ebay. Put in a link and I will check it out.

Mr. Clean
03-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Couple more pics. :pics:

mean350
03-07-2007, 10:24 AM
that car is beautiful man!!!!! the interior in mine was redone before it was parked and is like new still. all mine really needs is alot of small things. mainly just brakes and paint and all the stuff rechromed. i have about a truck load of extra parts too!!!what are your plans for the interior?

Mr. Clean
03-07-2007, 10:39 AM
If I ever quit buying 250r's I may finish it with that style, which is original for a convertible. I have the door panels, new in storage, and need carpet and insulation. I drive it on weekends, the three wheeler bug has hit me hard!!!