PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use GPS while trail riding ?

Huffa
03-03-2007, 06:34 PM
If so, what kind of unit do you have?

Any info would be helpful and at this point in time I'm just curious but got to thinking lately it would be a neat item to have, if it does not cost too much that is.

Are there some that can be mounted right on the bars?

Would something like this below work well?

dreadhed
03-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Yep one like that would work. That is the one I use. There are better & smaller ones though. I have no problems with it.

3 weelin geezer
03-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Nope. Can't get lost where I go no matter how hard I try. Maybe if I get stuck in a forest or something but I doubt I will run out of gas before I find my way back. If I get one, I want one with color distplay like that 'Scott, Scott' commercial. That thing looks like one of those head to head football games but without the other buttons.

ScottZJ
03-04-2007, 07:06 PM
I have the Garmin GPS V. ITs black and white but it was one of the best ranked one for off road vehicles as it is water proof and has nice mounting systems you can get for it.

Oh to answer your second question, the RAM mounts are the best on the market for offroading. They are alittle pricey but nothing bad.
http://www.ram-mount.com/ramcat.htm

hrc200x
03-05-2007, 12:36 AM
I bought a Garmin 76csx around christmas time. The topo map CD's that can be bought show old roads/trails in my area that don't exist and some that do. I'm sure they were there at one time, but have grown up over the course of 60 years. Some of them are almost grown up and you can see it used to be a road cause of all the rocks pushed off to the edges and old ruts. Its pretty neat, have found some interesting things out having the topo maps as far as where trails used to go, most if not all were just old logging roads.

During snowmobiling season the batterys don't last long in the cold. This model has a meter saying how much battery is left, say if its down to 2 bars using it outside in the cold, bring it inside let it sit a day and it will show full charge, must just be the affect the cold has on it. Battery usage isn't the greatest on them in my opinion, 20 or 30 some hours on two AA batteries. I guess its not bad, but if you can plug it into a cigaret lighter I'd suggesting buying all the neccesary adapters to do so. I ride a snowmobile and a 3 wheeler with out a electric start, so don't have a battery, so I'm using the GPS batteries steady. If you do this bring extra's with.

The accuacy isn't 100% either, say if your riding and go up a road, turn around, and go back down the road, it might show your pointer being a little ways away from your original locations the first trip up. I think most model of GPS's tell you what your currenty accuacy is, I think I've seen 14 feet as the best on mine, its usually between 15 and 20, gets better when there isn't trees/cliffs/other obstructions around.

I've been told Garmin was the way to go, and I bought mine from amazon.

ceaserthethird
03-13-2007, 05:38 PM
I need to buy 1 ...

Got lost out in the forest :D

foster
03-13-2007, 06:49 PM
I use a Garmin LEgend C with the colour screen. COlour is the way to go if you can afford it.
This is the best rig EVAH!
Never get lost, always know where you're at.
The problem is I can no longer use the excuse of "I got lost" for coming home just before dawn. Plus, the g/f knows how to work a gps and if she wants to she can see EXACTLY where I've been. :D
These things are absolutely amazing. I've stunned my riding buddies by taking them right through the woods (no trail) and hitting exactly on the butt end of a dead-end road.
Accuracy? Need I say more?
Great for hunting and fishing too. You can mark the hot spot on a 10-mile wide lake and find it again the next day, the next month, heck in 20 years from now.

85ytz250n
03-13-2007, 10:18 PM
I am looking into getting GPS also but I am going to get the 60csx. Looks like it has all the stuff I need and then a little bit more. I am going to get into the whole Geocaching thing also, looks like a fun thing for me and the PO to get into. I am also going to map the rivers around here so that I remember where the logs are so I dont have to find them a second time. Never been lost, but always looking for the scenic route:).

Barry