PDA

View Full Version : Does a Tecate stator just crap out????

BLAZERONE22
10-20-2002, 08:46 PM
Okay I bought this Tecate and the more I learn about it reading and in these forums, it sounds like the stators are the BIG problem with Tecates, I fired mine up this morning, ran fine, trailered it up and headed out to an orv park, won't start. plug had fuel on it, burned it off, put it back in, still won't fire, checked aircleaner, fine nothing, after letting it sit for a while, I rode around on my dependable four stroke Honda, Still would'nt fire. Loaded it back up because I forgot my boots, wearing tennis shoes, my right foot was killing me. Anyway it starts raining when I get home and now I'm wondering what the problem can be. I going to go out and check the spark. I'm hoping all it is was flooded because I forgot to shut the fuel off this morning when I fired it up. And it bounced around on the trailer. How much is a stator? and how do you test it? and does anybody want a 84 Tecate? its here in Oregon, ran fine this morning. If anyone can give me any tips it would be helpful. D.crone@attbi.com

tecatecrazy
10-20-2002, 10:20 PM
If you haven't already, replace the plug, burning it off doesn't always work. I found this out the hard way e.g. a very bruised foot. As far as the stator is concerned all I know about them is the do often go bad on tecates. Im sure Jeb would be able to give you better details----Joe

BLAZERONE22
10-20-2002, 11:26 PM
Well, I have no spark, FOR SALE 1984 TECATE. How do you check the stator??? could it be anything else. I may just part this bike out and get a new Raptor. I'm really ticked about this, it ran fine this morning, and now I have a dead bike and a sore right foot.

MustangChris
10-20-2002, 11:37 PM
I'll dig out my book tomorrow and it tells in there a couple of test points.

Jeb
10-20-2002, 11:38 PM
Not to insult intelligence at all here, but you did check the kill switch and make sure it was not just turned off? I hate to admit it, but that got me one time.

Stators do die, but usually not just immediately like that, or at least the ones that have gone out on me got worse over time.

I would first check the spark plug cap. then also check the CDI and the coil.

I'll tell you what it might be besides the stator. one of the magnets might have detached from the flywheel. I had that happen once too, and you could kick it over just fine. I didn't know what was wrong until I got the flywheel off and the loose magnet fell out. no stator damage or anything else damaged. what cause my flywheel to do this was the main bearings were going bad in the engine and allowed the flywheel to vibrate too much.

BLAZERONE22
10-21-2002, 12:05 AM
Yeah the killswitch was the first thing I checked that Tecate is no fun kicking over. usually starts first lick. I probally have 50 into it today just out of frustration. the magnets come off fairly easily though? huh, I have a little 8x4 trailer that rides like a covered wagon. and I took it down a washboard road today a little overselious to get to my riding spot, that could of knocked one out. I just pull the cover off and the flywheel and its right there inside the flywheel? I just ordered a manual its coming on a slow boat from Japan. I just hate it when I take something apart for the first time a 70 little pieces come flying out. So any tips would be great. I'm starting to feel a little better, It did run great this morning I ran it up and down the road before I left this morning. thanks

BLAZERONE22
10-23-2002, 01:09 AM
Okay, my foot heeled up today, so I gave it another try. I pulled the tank and plastic off and went through every wire and plug. guess what I found, the cdi plug was apart. duh! What a relief, 300.00 for a stator freeked me out a little. guess it was a good Idea to take a break from it and start from the top instead of thinking of the worse. thanks for the help. I'm still going to sell it. I bought a 250 R atc. Drop me a note if your interested I'll send over some pictures. 750.00 RUNS GOOD!