PDA

View Full Version : I got clobbered on shipping charges!!

KC
03-05-2007, 10:41 PM
:twisted: I bought a used choke cable for the old YTM 225 from an Ebay store that goes by the name of usedmotorsports (type in YTM 225 on the search and you will run into him). I bought the cable for $17, and it said that shipping would be calculated at the end of the buy it now. That is where I obviously made the mistake... I should have gotten a shipping quote from him before buying it, because he charged me $16 for shipping!!!! I can buy a brand new choke cable from Bikebandits.com for $34! Now I am stuck buying a used one for basically the same amount of money! I told him that I expect the choke cable to be on my front door by Friday morning for that kind of shipping charge.

Moral of the story is to be very aware of those auctions that can't seem to list a specific shipping charge for the item - - it will cost you!!!!

chris200x
03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Pfft! I don't know how many times I've passed up good parts on ebay because of outrageous shipping charges. It really fries my eggs sometimes. :twisted: :rolleyes:

I've been leaning more towards doing business with members here and over on .org as of late. We're a great bunch of guys that usually go outta there way to help around here. :beer Usually you can find what your looking for in a few hours after posting an add in the classifieds. ;)

KC
03-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Yea, the guys here have been really cool about answering questions and offering parts for sale...

The guy I am griping about on Ebay just shot me a message back agreeing to have that cable on my doorstep by Friday - and his excuse for such high shipping charges is that Ebay is hitting him with such high selling prices right now it is "killing me" ... His words - not mine.

mike from long island
03-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I think if ebay is charge him too much,he shouldnt be selling parts.I dont know how many times i have had to pay a little extra on parts i sold because i guessed at the shipping.I would rather eat a few bucks on shipping to make a buyer happy and come back again.

i feel you chris.I too have passed just on the shipping.I just won an airbox cover for a Triz.Paying $.99 cents for the cover $12 bucks for shipping.And it is in NY too. They try to make up for parts going for less.

Best advise is check with the buyer about shipping.But by the time he may get back to you,the buy it now could have been used.It is a lose lose sometimes.

nouseforaname90
03-05-2007, 11:13 PM
I pass up parts all the time because of shipping. I guarantee he could have fit that cable in a padded envelope and sent it for $3.00 or so. Or use one of the $8 prepaid boxes. Leave him some feedback that alerts other members of his massive shipping charges!!

grundlegrabber
03-05-2007, 11:15 PM
$16 to ship a part that anyone could send Priority Mail for less than $5? I'd refuse to pay for it if I were you. That guy's rippin you off.

KC
03-05-2007, 11:38 PM
I am gonna leave a warning about his massive shipping charges in his feedback...He knows what he is doing - Like Mike said.. he is trying to make up some of the money for selling the parts for cheap.

jason85atc250r
03-06-2007, 12:12 AM
that price is crazy high. i just shipped a 4x4 toyota truck steering box i sold on ebay to illinios and it was only $21 from PA.

ATC-Eric
03-06-2007, 01:42 AM
he is trying to make up some of the money for selling the parts for cheap.

$17 for a used cable is not cheap at all. I know a new one costs $34, but come on.

Shipping on that shouldnt be more then $3 like stated above.

4cylinders
03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
hey, some of these sellers have a minimum shipping price, watch for that. If you want to see high shipping, check out frames. they could give it away and still make money.

oldsking86
03-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Oh I agree I've turned down numerous auctions due to the sellers trying to make more money with the shipping also. It's ridiculous. I for one email them first asking for USPS priority mail because it is cheaper ( due to weight) and way faster then UPS. They are just trying to make more money off the shipping also. It's just wrong and has made ebay not as popular for buying items really anymore.

DixiePlowboy
03-06-2007, 01:36 PM
I've contacted a seller in the past about the shipping charge for a Tecate frame. He wanted $65!

I informed him that I had shipped TRI-Z frames for $20-something through the Post Office. He wasn't impressed, so I passed him by.

I paid $12 shipping for a swingarm pivot bolt for my Tecate. To me that's highway robbery.

-Rant Off-

mike from long island
03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Here is one for you all.I found a set of brand new Geckos rear tires.The buy it now was for $5 bucks.I figured i had found a messed up buy it now.glad i read his entire description.He wanted $175 for shipping.And you werent aloud to pick up either.I wonder how many people he got on that scam???

longbedGTs
03-07-2007, 02:20 PM
I just got a R/C helicopter shipped from Kansas. 12x5 box or so weighing about 5lbs. The guy wanted 16.00 shipping 'because I ship fast'. It was sent 6 days AFTER I paid. Anyway, I get the package(seriously thought I wasnt going to see it) and its like $8.30 shipping. I ask the guy whats the deal and he says 'its to cover my gas to the post office and eBays rising fees ect..'
I really wish eBay was more strict with buyer complaints about sellers and vise versa.
I want to leave him a negative or atleast a neutral but I know his sorry butt will trash my feedback.
I always factor in the shipping, THEN decide if the item is worth it. Yup, Ive passed many auctions by with that too.
ie: I bought a very nice grab bar for my Big Red. I won it for .99 but shipping was $9.00. It was definately worth the $9.99 I paid for it.

Billy Bob
03-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Shipping from the states to Canada is expensive, now whenever I want to buy something off ebay, I always ask for shipping price and bid accordingly. Sometimes there are even brokerage fees that are just rediculous Fed Ex and I think its called DHL or something... just retarded. DHL charged us and extra $110 on shipping some sled clutch parts that doesnt weigh over 2 lbs over the boarder. So now we get either USPS or UPS whenever posible. Their brokerage fee is alot cheaper.

hublake
03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
There was an auction on ebay awhile back for rear plastic for a 85 200x. I needed it but inquired about shipping and the seller sent back that it would be $97.50 to my zip and that was DHL. The seller was in the U.S. The shipping fees sellers are charging are getting out of hand I think. Unless it was something I absolutely needed, I have passed up many auctions

team-red-rider
03-07-2007, 05:59 PM
i just shipped 60 pounds from fl to ia for 33.24!!!!

ScottZJ
03-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah I have never understood some of these guys on there with their shipping costs. Heck I was able to tear down an entire Tri-z and shipp the entire trike out for under 120$. And this was in many different size boxes. Frames cost me around 18-22$ and 2 smoker engines were like 22$ if that. I usually put an estimate cost on my auctions and 90% of the time its pretty darn close to the cost I pay.

team-red-rider
03-08-2007, 09:30 PM
i ONLY ship DHL unless it fits in a flat rate box from the post office

ceaserthethird
03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
E-gay Sucks ...

Total ripp off

Dirtcrasher
03-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I ship FEDEX, it was always the cheapest. Truthfully, the shipping charges have certainly gone up about 30%. I have gotten screwed a few times lately with only a 9.99$ bid and then lost a few bucks on shipping plus the price of the auction and my time. I end up making nothing...

It just seems like I can ship light stuff for about 5$ USPS but anything thats about 5lbs costs me 10$ depending on where it's going. Heavier stuff is 15$ and up. I try and be fair with shipping but it seems like I'm always a bit under because most people buying parts are out in CA.

timex69
04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
I had an auction up for a set of Honda 200E fenders adn said the shipping price was 35.00 to the united states. Someone In southern California buys them and it costs me about 68 dollars to ship them and the guy wouldnt give me any more then 35 dollars and ebay wouldnt do anything either.

mopar_man
04-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I had an auction up for a set of Honda 200E fenders adn said the shipping price was 35.00 to the united states. Someone In southern California buys them and it costs me about 68 dollars to ship them and the guy wouldnt give me any more then 35 dollars and ebay wouldnt do anything either.

I hate to say but that's your own fault. I know if I screw up shipping charges when I sell something, I never ask the seller for more money to cover it. I also never have a set shipping rate. It's always the actual cost. Anybody that has a set cost to anywhere is almost always going to make money off of the shipping, which pisses me off to no end. Sending something within the same state/province or a neighbouring state/province is going to cost way less than shipping cross country. If anybody wants a good example of overcharging shippers, check out the isoldit (http://www.i-soldit.com/index.asp) line of sellers on Ebay.

edog
04-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Plain and simple...............E-GAY Suckssssssssssssss

mark38090
04-09-2007, 08:06 PM
I just bougt a thumb throttle for my YTM200 and the guy charged me $20 to ship. I complained and he said it was the only box he could find. I paid because I should've ask first about shipping charge, but I ley him know he was a thief. Then to top all that, he wouldn't accept Paypal payment after I sent it, siad he only wanted money order, so I canceled payment and told him to kiss my a**.

erectordale
04-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Guys I see te same thing on Ebay all the time . I just started a ebay store and 90% of what I ship will go in flat rate boxes. if it won't ship that way I charge actual plus 1.00 to cover the packaging materials such as bubble rap etc... If you guys buy from me and think the shipping is too high let me know as I personally don't get too handle all the quotes and pricing. I have someone doing this for me far as buying from ebay unless its obscure I normally don't buy any more because of the high shipping

timex69
04-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I hate to say but that's your own fault. I know if I screw up shipping charges when I sell something, I never ask the seller for more money to cover it. I also never have a set shipping rate. It's always the actual cost. Anybody that has a set cost to anywhere is almost always going to make money off of the shipping, which pisses me off to no end. Sending something within the same state/province or a neighbouring state/province is going to cost way less than shipping cross country. If anybody wants a good example of overcharging shippers, check out the isoldit (http://www.i-soldit.com/index.asp) line of sellers on Ebay.

I disagree, When Im looking to buy something on ebay it is nice to be able to calculate the exact cost of the item before you bid VS being given the price after the auctions end and after commiting to buy the item. That is why I set my flat rate to cover the majority of Canada and the USA minimizing the loss i take on shipping charges. If someone from Texas, New Mexico,Arizona or California buys an item for me I get hammered with shipping charges but if I set my price higher then everyone not in those 4 states and Canada will call the price highway robbery and wont bid. So I think if i try and keep my price fair to the majority of people then its just the best way to go about selling on ebay and If I need to ask for a little bit of extra money to ship to the states I listed above then it should be no big deal right...thats just my opinion tho

Alex