PDA

View Full Version : wtf?!... School Delays?

chris200x
03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I'd like to know what this world is coming too? A few weeks ago we got a snow storm (about 12"+) and the kids had a freakin week off of school. This morning I wake up and turn on the news to find there is a 2 hour delay because it's cold out! :rolleyes: (about 5 degrees)

When I was a kid there would have to be a freakin blizzard with gail force winds and feet of snow to even get a delay.. Not to mention I had to walk 3 miles with a wet head,, uphill,, in both directions. :mad:

So I just had to vent a little bit (sometimes these delays can throw a wrench in your daily plan). I was also wondering if it's the same way in other states or if it just here in pa that noone seems to know how to drive or get around in the winter? :wondering :banned:

ATC-Eric
03-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Its just as bad here in St. Louis. All it takes is a good cold spell to set things off. No one seems to know how to drive in the snow, or even the rain for that matter. Gets on my nerves.

Kintore
03-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Ive had the last 5 days off! WOOT! lol

Mr. Clean
03-06-2007, 02:35 PM
At least you get the time off, back in the day we HAD to make up Hurricane days.

chris200x
03-06-2007, 03:02 PM
At least you get the time off, back in the day we HAD to make up Hurricane days.

Sheesh.. I'd take a snow day over a hurricane day anytime. :eek: I'm not sure how it works with other schools.. but the kids have to make up the days off at the end of the year. I'd rather be sitting in a classroom when it's 5... not 85. :rolleyes:

Kintore
03-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Nope, we get unlimited days off, and we have never had to make them up! WOOT!

traxxasx
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
I'd like to know what this world is coming too? A few weeks ago we got a snow storm (about 12"+) and the kids had a freakin week off of school. This morning I wake up and turn on the news to find there is a 2 hour delay because it's cold out! :rolleyes: (about 5 degrees)

When I was a kid there would have to be a freakin blizzard with gail force winds and feet of snow to even get a delay.. Not to mention I had to walk 3 miles with a wet head,, uphill,, in both directions. :mad:

So I just had to vent a little bit (sometimes these delays can throw a wrench in your daily plan). I was also wondering if it's the same way in other states or if it just here in pa that noone seems to know how to drive or get around in the winter? :wondering :banned:

20 miles in the snow with your bare feet there and back, all day every day while hauling to camels on your back.

Lol the only time somthing like that will happen if is there is a guy with a bomb in th ebuilding and when he leaves back to school.

400exguy
03-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Seems as though now a days schools are getting delayed or called off a bit more frequently then when I was in school. I do remember a few times when we were susposed to get snow storms school would be called off the night before and we wouldnt get much snow. Because of that, its more rare to be cancelled the night before. Seems like they do 2hr delays with the option to close. I cant remember a time we got a delay because of cold temps. But I do have to agree I would rather be in school freezing then roasting in the summer during make ups. School never turned the heat on much but there was no AC to turn on as an option in the summer.

Vealmonkey
03-06-2007, 06:15 PM
It's a shame that in this sue- happy world that everyone is liable for anything. Schools would rather delay or have off than take a chance for the liability. It seems that in areas that don't get alot of snow or really bad weather that they will take the time off at a drop of the hat. Nowadays, it doesn't seem like the walk to school is so bad, it's just that you have to carry your gun and extra hi cap mags with you and they are heavy!

rassagmc
03-06-2007, 07:35 PM
we might get another 1-3 inches here in maryland tomorrow and I 'm anxious to see what is going to happen. If it starts to snow hard before 10:00 we will most likely get out at 11:15. I don't mind it at all, but it is true that we do get off too easy. as much as I love not going to school, they just add the missed days on to our summer vacation, and I would much rather be off then. also, it seems as if each year they add another day or two of school in july, even if we don't use up all our snow days. before you know it, school will be letting out for summer in July.

chris200x
03-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Welp.. It's not even snowing here yet and again there is already a 2 hour delay. There only calling for an inch or two of snow today but it is 3 degrees out right now. :rolleyes: I'm starting to wish I was back in school. :cry:

mean350
03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
my schools canccelled. bout 3in now but were supposed to get 8in

MO dx
03-07-2007, 09:56 AM
School is closed here now for my son. Maybe we`ll get a little snow riding later on tonight.

johnny's X
03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
The problem is all the pussy parents who dont want there precious little pansy kids to go out in the snow. They cancel school here all the time bcs is to cold out. But what they dont think about it all the kids walking to friends house to smoke weed and play video games. Any kids who complains its to cold out for school needs to be slapped and told to man up.

Gunnar
03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I got kicked off the bus once and my parents made me walk to school in the middle of winter. about 4 miles with them folowing in the car to make sure I didnt get a ride. They got a lot of calls from people telling them how mean they were and my dad just laughed at the people, told them to take it up with the school. Tough love made me into the person I am today. I never got kicked off again.

But here the wind is a problem. It blows snow out of the fields and accross the roads. There it freezes and makes the roads bad. But still school isnt cancelled.

firehart
03-07-2007, 11:29 AM
My son used to walk to school because it was faster then waiting for the bus. Of course he stopped at a little store and bought candy that he sold to his classmates for a huge markup. That's my boy! Now he sells tools at Harbor Freight.

Dirtcrasher
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Yep, I always had school unless it was a blizzard...

Yesterday I was 5 stories up putting together a metal curb for a roof top air conditioning unit. It was -16 degrees with the wind chill. When I went numb I decided we had enough for the day.

Work is like my old school days, ya just can't get a day off!!

brapp
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
wtf? i sit at work and it reached a whopign 8 degrees yesterday and i was out all day in this crap lol