PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good helmet without killing the bank?

lisnup65
04-25-2003, 09:47 AM
Was wondering what the fine folks here would recommend. I am looking at a HJC currently that retails for $140.00, I can pick it up for $92.50. Its the HJC CL-X4 helmet.

Also some input on new riding boots would be appreciated. Is it worth the $ to get the $200.00 pair or save the $ and get a >$100.00 pair?

TimSr
04-25-2003, 10:16 AM
With helmets, since all you have is a hard shell lined with styrophoam, often the inclreased prices on some models only reflect brand name hype, and cosmetic differences but not always. All helmets have certain standards for shell durability and styrophoam type and thickness they must meet to be DOT approved. Things to watch for on baragin brands is detachable chin guards, and cool paintjobs being nothing more than decals that start to peel later. Im thinking of the $50 MR2 I bought for TimJr awhile back. HJC makes great helmets, and Id suggesting shopping the dealers clearance sections. MX is a yuppie spport, and youll find great price reductions on "last year's color" and the likes.

Santa brought TimJr and me new O'Neail Boots I got for $64 a pair along with each a pair of Fly Racing socks which were free with the boots. They offer great protection, and seem to work just fine, but on the critical side, I walked in mine for two weeks before racing with them, and Neatsfoot oiled them like crazy, and they are still too stiff for my liking. Also they have a tall toe area of the boot, and I had to move our shifters up a notch which makes downshifting a little less comfortable, and you cant "feel" the shifter as well. Do I wish Id bought $250 boots? for two of us? ouch! I guess if youre an adult, and will wear them for several years it may be worth the extra money, but if your foot size is still changing, or you are buying for kids, or money is tight, O'Neils are highly recommended!

atc's
04-25-2003, 10:17 AM
thats a good choice i got the same one and it comfortable and has good ventalation what ever you do dont go cheap on a helment that is what i did last time so i could get more parts and when i wreked with me going head first in to the road on my 250r it blew apart luckly i wasn't seriously hurt aside from a little road rash lol

Yamaha_Rules69
04-25-2003, 09:13 PM
I have a Vega helmet that I bought last year. I only paid $65, and its really decent. It gets really good air flow, and they have a nice color design pattern. I think it was originaly around $100, but I got it on sale. I think it came out of Dennis Kirk, not sure. You should check them out. Their really nice helmets, for a not too high price. My .02

G-MAN-1
04-25-2003, 10:33 PM
i would have to say that HJC makes the best all around helmet i own one and so does my son. if you want to break the bank go for a SHOEI VFX.................. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :-P

bbechtel16
04-27-2003, 01:31 PM
I got a $40 Rodia (I think that's what it is.) helmet. My dad ordered it through some place at work. I have suspicsions that its a rebadged Bell because the logo has that same oval design. It is a nice helmet with a fixed chin gard (not bolted) and an adjustable visor. It's solid black and I assume other colors are avalible, I ripped off the Rodia sticker though lol, I got an Amsoil and Honda/Fox sticker on it now.

trikeman
04-28-2003, 08:42 PM
i've got an afx or something like that and it's a great helmet, it was like $90 on sale, and i've got a fulmer but that was around$200, just some suggestions.

Billy Golightly
04-28-2003, 08:52 PM
I've got an Arai, and I love it. It has a totally all removeable inside liner (So you can wash it) 6 Adjustable air vents, adjustable visor (Can even take it off). Its VERY nice, best helmet I have ever owned. I would probably still have my $100 KBC helmet that was coming apart if the dogs wouldn't have ate it, but I'm glad I got the Arai. Its around a $350 helmet, but the guys at my local dealer cut me a deal on it since it had been around a while for $190. Can't beat that :P

wanta250r
04-28-2003, 10:55 PM
afx is good got mine for $60