PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Question

BigGreenMachine
03-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey guys, aquired this riffle a few years back and would like some insight on the model name and where to find a nice composite stock for it. I know it is a .303 British Lee Enfield but unsure of the model. Judging from the markings above the trigger guard its a Mark 3?

nutsandbolts95
03-08-2007, 09:11 PM
try gunbroker.com
joe

ccdhowell
03-08-2007, 10:03 PM
I have a Mk V jungle carbine and really like it. The 303 British cartridge is a great round. I even had a custom barrel made for another rifle in that caliber.

I think yours is an early model. Looking at the rear sight I know mine is different. It has a flip up elevation sight over the rear of the bolt. Seems like Mk IVs and MK Vs had this sight, that would make yours a Mk I or Mk III, I think.

I have a synthetic stock on mine, if I remember right, I got it from www.midwayusa.com.

I have a book on the Enfield rifle, I'll try to find it and tell you more.

Chris

viper
03-09-2007, 12:37 AM
A Magazine Called Gun List ........i Get Them At Walmart ..........mabye This Will Help Ya There Is All Kinds Of Stuff In There For The Old Rifles

BigGreenMachine
03-09-2007, 11:02 AM
ccdhowell, thanks! Found a synthetic stock on that website. They really are nice rifles for their age. Would really like to see a pic of your carbine!

chris200x
03-09-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm Not sure if you get this (magazine) up your way Big green. But I pick up a copy to browse every once in awhile. they got lots of good stuff at great prices.

http://www.shotgunnews.com/

BigGreenMachine
03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Nope, not that I know of Chris. We used to subscribe to S.I.R. and I remember seeing a .303 stock in there.

bp739
03-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Thats a No.1 MK3...(theres only 2 versions -No.1 MK3 and No.4 MK1)and its an earlier one because the "cocking lever" on the back of the bolt is round. The model is usually stamped on the band behind the trigger. Mine is circa 1943 and the cocking lever is square, a friends of mine has one dated 1918 and its round like yours. I got mine from my pap a long time ago. After the war they imported tons of these rifles and sold them dirt cheap(i think he told me he paid like $3.00 for it.) The wood on the forearm was cut back and "sporterized"...mine looks exactly the same as yours...missing the upper forearm,bayonet lug and stacking swivel.

BigGreenMachine
03-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Cool thanks!

Dave223
03-12-2007, 07:31 PM
hey check out Brownells.com lots of parts and upgrades there for old military rifles. Also midwayusa.com, cheap ammo, parts to repair and upgrade. 2 good places for parts sometimes is cheaperthandirt.com and cabellas..com, those are sort of hit and miss. Hope this helps, Dave

firefirefire90
03-15-2007, 02:38 AM
I know this might be unrelated...but check out the magazine on this kalashnikov!

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/photos/ak-mag100.jpg

Sorry...it was to interesting not to post!

BigGreenMachine
03-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Bet thats a pain to load....

Wickedfinger
03-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Thats a No.1 MK3...(theres only 2 versions -No.1 MK3 and No.4 MK1)and its an earlier one because the "cocking lever" on the back of the bolt is round. The model is usually stamped on the band behind the trigger. Mine is circa 1943 and the cocking lever is square, a friends of mine has one dated 1918 and its round like yours. I got mine from my pap a long time ago. After the war they imported tons of these rifles and sold them dirt cheap(i think he told me he paid like $3.00 for it.) The wood on the forearm was cut back and "sporterized"...mine looks exactly the same as yours...missing the upper forearm,bayonet lug and stacking swivel.

Thats definitely a strange one - there are actually several variants of the No.1 Mk3 SMLE, depending on the year. Its for sure not a No.4/1 or even a No.5 for obvious reasons (no peep sight - No.4, no breach mounted flip sight No.5). I see "LE" stamped on the band, making it a SMLE, but I see no SHT in front of it. Theres also to Royal Crown from the Enfield Factory (its not a cheaper Indian model from the Ishapor arsenal). The thing thats really got me is that the breach, bolt and midline sight are all very different from both my SMLE and my Jungle carbine (with a No.4 action). Definately a sporterized model in any event.

foster
03-17-2007, 03:51 PM
I used to own the one with the peep sight and flip sight.
I only used it for fooling around because it's awful heavy for hunting. It sat around the house for many years.
I was cleaning it one day and some workers were here installing a new furnace. While his buds were all out for lunch one of them offered me a tank full of furnace fuel oil for it, and I handed it to him, including a spare bolt.
A tank of furnace oil up here is worth about $400. (EDIT: I think the one I had was worth about 1/10th of that amount!)
I still miss that rifle, though.
Used to be able to go to War Surplus and buy steel jacket bullets for it, that they used to use only for target practice in WWII. (Lead was scarce back then.)

filipinoredneck
03-17-2007, 11:36 PM
That kalashnikov is for guys that cant shoot too well, so they gotta cut down the bush and hopefully the taget too.