PDA

View Full Version : Thank god I'm back

Eric250R
03-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Phew didn't think I was going to get back online for a while. My computer went down about 2 months ago so haven't really been in other than borrowing a friends computer here and there. But I just finished building this puppy so hopefully I'll be on for a while....lol. Some highlights:

AMD 4.2 gig processer
MSI mother board
MDT 250 gig Sata hard drive
graphic and sound card are board standard but will upgrade soon
sony dvd burner
DSL extreme connection
Windows Vista
This puppy is FAST!!

Have lots of pics and storys to share.

86waterpumper
03-12-2007, 11:28 PM
let me know where you came by a 4.2 ghz amd cpu, I'd like to buy a handful lol

Eric250R
03-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Pricewatch.com....anything you want and dirt cheap.

oldsking86
03-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Hows that processor to the intel Hyperthread 3ghz?

84honda200s
03-13-2007, 12:48 AM
intel is no match for amd. well in my opinion. i must admit intel processors do better in video editing but they are crappy to over clock and game with. whats the amd 4.2 ? is it a fx or a x

oldsking86
03-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Oh yes to overclock I know intel tends to heat up pretty darn quick. THough I have a 3ghz HT in my viao and man it does wonders with photoshop and gaming. I never have needed the effort to overclock.. I do have a turion 64 in my laptop, think it's a good idea to overclock that one a bit? If so how do you overclock your processsor anyways?

84honda200s
03-13-2007, 01:12 AM
never over clock a laptop man. if you wanna over clock a pc though dont use intel it will burn up quicker then hell. plus if you wanna over clock you need some ok ram better cooling and not be afraid of killing your cpu. i have a older 32 bit amd athlon xp 2800 stock it goes 1.8 i got it going 2.6 almost 2.7. but i had to put it down to 2.0 because my power supply kept blowing out. its only a 350 w power supply.

you ask how to over clock. you need to mess with the multiplier, fsb (front side bus) and voltage. but always use the multiplier first (it causes less damage) then fsb on the ram and your cpu (may cause blue screen) and voltage always last (blows out board,cpu, and ram if done wrong) so you do need to be careful. i went threw about 4 motherboards learning on how to over clock. good thing they were free.

if you want to really get into it shot me a pm. i dont want to jack this guys post. sorry eric

86waterpumper
03-13-2007, 09:52 AM
I know about pricewatch.com but you don't have a 4.2ghz cpu amd hasn't made one that is even 3ghz yet. What it is is probably a 4200 pr rating, that's why I was joking about where I could buy one. I have been a long time amd fan, but with the new conroe, intel core 2 duos, at least for now amd is playing catch up, but they have cut prices to where they are still a great deal for the money

oldsking86
03-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Yea the 4.2 ghz grabbed my attention and I was pretty sure they don't make one that high unless you overclock it some..
The intel duos are actually pretty good? I've heard differently

86waterpumper
03-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Well the regular intel duos aren't so hot, but the core 2 duos rock. They simply have more processing power, as well as alot more cache available. I built one at christmas, with the e6400 cpu which is rated at 2.13 ghz stock. I have it overclocked to 3.2 ghz you aren't going to overclock a amd that much. Hopefully amd will get their game together and release something that will put them back on top like they were when the single core 64 bits came out,

84honda200s
03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
you can over clock a ton if you have a board and ram that will handle it. but you will also need a unlocked processor to have full over clocking capability . that is why i like my xp amd barton core. it is unlocked and all i need to do is get a better board than my asus a7v8x board.

oldsking86
03-13-2007, 12:37 PM
ahh ok the duo 2's yes I've heard good things about them.. Man it's intel at the head of the pack yet again! I know i have the 64 bit amd in my laptop and I must say it performs pretty darn well considering it's just a laptop..

My desktop on the other hand is not a lightwight either haha my processor is a 3ghz stock ( the HT) which started the comotion I heard for 64bit processors. The motherboard is an intel board but a somewhat good one that I've read about. Now you guys are getting me back into computers with talks of boards and ram lol
I have pc3200 ram, pretty good?

P.S I think we are starting to hijack Eric's topic a bit now haha Sorry bro, join in though!

84honda200s
03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
yea eric im sorry. pc3200 is ok they have much better but thats what im running in my pc. it is a 512 stick of pc3200 ballistix. yup i over clocked that too lol. my mother board over clocks good for being a 333 mhz fsb board socket A. i hads it up to 436 fsb.

the processor is cooled with a tower 112 heat sing with artic silver 5 paste and 2 6500 rpm tornado fans.

wow its bin a while since ive talked computers almost a year.

oldsking86
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Yea I know, I want ddr2 because you can get much faster mhz with that, but I think my motherboard can only support pc3200 it says on the intel site. What's a god place to check for upgrading motherboards?

Hey 84honda200s think you could send me a PM on overclocking, I may set my comp up to do it ( I will def look into cooling first though or just upgrade the processor haha)

84honda200s
03-13-2007, 01:40 PM
i get out of work at at 11 pm or so i will write up a pm and send it to you. as far as "upgrades" do you wnat bios update or driver updates? if bios i have no clue but im pretty sure if you have an intel board you should be able to find updates on their site. i will look into it some more when i get home.

Eric250R
03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Yep.....sorry, should have read a little more about it rather than just throwing it together....lol. It is a Amd Sempron 4200....3.3 gig. I also have ddr2 512 card.

oldsking86
03-15-2007, 03:06 AM
hey guys whats a good software to check cpu temps and such? Also are heat sinks tough to put on?

84honda200s
03-15-2007, 02:08 PM
aida 32 or mother board monitor 5 aka mbm5 . just google mbm and download it for free. if you need the installer let me know i think i still have it.

hancadam
03-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Intel CPU's will over clock extremely well if you have the correct board. The best boards for overclocking in my opinion are Abit's. I built my latest PC about 3 years ago and it has been running an Intel 3.0 HT at 3.6 since day one. Boards that are intended for overclocking will allow you to use a ratio. Meaning you can overclock your FSB and CPU without overclocking the memory, and since memory is what will cause crashes 9 times out of 10 with overclocking, it really helps. A cpu will run as fast as you can keep it cool. Also a good board will allow you to very slightly increase the voltage to the CPU, which is also needed. I have a Abit third eye, which when new was 220, but allowed me to run my CPU at 3.6 when the fastest CPU stock at the time was the 3.4 Extremes (Almost 1000 bucks). Personally I like intel the best because they have less memory compatibilty issues and chipset issues, but that debate can go on for days. Intel was also the first to come out with thermal protection, meaning if it was getting to hot it would shut off. AMD, even as late as the Athlon XP's did not have this feature. If you were running to hot or a fan died, the cpu was toast. Also with Abit, if you push it to far with the BIOS settings, it will just not boot. All you have to do and remove the CMOS battery and it will reset to default.

84honda200s
03-15-2007, 11:01 PM
my xp had it. believe me it got tested allot. as long as get good cooling and good paste you can oc anything you want. i built my 32 bit xp system that benched almost as much as my friends p4 witch i think is good for a old cpu as the xp. you are rite the debate could go on for ever and ever. as i say to each their own. me i love amd they make a great product in my opinion. its all i own is amd. i agree with you on boards. abits are good but so is dfi and high end asus boards.

Dirtcrasher
03-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Hey guys... What does over clock mean????

Mike_Ham_250R
03-18-2007, 08:27 PM
84honda200s your such a n00b LOL.
Intel's had been held stable up to 8ghz. AMD's are slightly cooler, but thats about it.

I saw "4.2ghz AMD" and I'm like damn thats rare. Still dude, they don't make a 3.3ghz sempron, do they?

Mike_Ham_250R
03-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey guys... What does over clock mean????
Increasing the core clock of your CPU to get it to run faster than it did stock.

For example, you can overclock a 2.66ghz celeron processor to 3ghz to increase the speed of it. You do everything in the BIOS (and some manufacturers have a utility to OC in windows). Usually you can only OC if you built the computer yourself. Its always good to have a very cool running HEATSINK or processor cooler because increasing the core clock makes the temps shoot up.

Mike_Ham_250R
03-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Yep.....sorry, should have read a little more about it rather than just throwing it together....lol. It is a Amd Sempron 4200....3.3 gig. I also have ddr2 512 card.
How do you run Vista on 512mb of Ram? Or do you mean a 512mb Gddr2 graphics card? If so, why would you spend all kinds of money for the card and mobo but yet get such a dated CPU?

Eric250R
03-19-2007, 11:05 PM
OK...my old computer finally went down....was wanting a new one and listened to all my computer geek friends who were telling me to build my own because it's much cheaper....so why not....I gave it a shot. I knew I wanted alot of storage....hence the 250 gig hard drive, and the 512 memory card. Didn't ask what the biggest baddest processor was....didn't care, I just wanted one that was a good, reliable and fast one. So, everyone suggested the AMD....good enough for me...haven't updated the graphics or the sound because I don't play games on this. I wanted to put XP on this ( and in my opinion...is better than Vista ...SO FAR) but it wouldn't boot it up, so went with Vista.....ok...maybe I could have used bigger and better parts....but for my first try, I"m very happy with it. It does everything I want it to do and does it quickly. So....I"m happy...good enough. And the whole thing only cost me 272 bucks.

Mike_Ham_250R
03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
How were you able to get it down to $272? Especially with a 250gb HDD and Vista and memory and such? Did you use parts from your old computer? Do you run a case? What MOBO do you have?

Eric250R
03-20-2007, 09:28 PM
No, that's not including Vista. But everything else. I had a copy of Xp, but like I said, it wouldn't boot it up.....couldn't tell you why, just wouldn't. My sister in law had just got a copy of Vista, so just for the heck of it, I wanted to see if it would boot it up. Worked great. I think I mentioned it in an earlier post, but the best place to find good parts at a really cheap price is: Pricewatch.com. That's where I got all my stuff. Oh, my mother board is an MSI. Western digital hard drive. Sony dvd burner. Sony floppy drive. Amd processor. The case was just a cheapo job, but it came with power supply and fan for like 23 bucks. Don't remember the brand of my memory card.

oldsking86
03-21-2007, 12:57 AM
Question, will an intel MOBO support an AMD processor? I'd like to get one for a cooler running temps... perhaps even a nice athlon 64 bit would rock. I'll check pricewatch for that but if you guys would know if an intel board could support that chip let me know.

Eric250R
03-21-2007, 01:52 AM
I wouldn't think so, but then again, I"m not really a tech head....if you check the site, and find a board you like, it will usually tell you what kind of cpu and chipset it will accept.

84honda200s
03-21-2007, 02:52 AM
Question, will an intel MOBO support an AMD processor? I'd like to get one for a cooler running temps... perhaps even a nice athlon 64 bit would rock. I'll check pricewatch for that but if you guys would know if an intel board could support that chip let me know.

nop intel uses their own pin count. depending on your 64 bit it could be a 754 or 939 pin. the 939 pin cpus are the high end 64 bit cpus. dont ask me what intel uses i have no clue be. but i do know you cant put a amd in a intel mobo. stupid intel !!!

Mike_Ham_250R
03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Socket LGA775 = Intel
Socket 939 = AMD

oldsking86
03-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Socket LGA775 = Intel
Socket 939 = AMD

Yea Mike I have the LGA775 set up.. Could it be possible to grab one of the new duo 2 processors for that socket type?
My MOBO model is a "D915GAG"

The think is I'm getting vista ultimate from a friend so I'd like to be able to run it in 64bit mode, not 32.. That and I would like a bit faster and COOLER processor so haha