PDA

View Full Version : Blaster Motor Swaps

BigGreenMachine
03-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Just what has been done and what is possible? I'm not talking hack jobs that will rattle themselves to death... I want to hear about the 250 twostroke or 250 fourstrokes that are daily riders/racers!

I would love to fit a late model YZ smoker in one and go to some track days. Would a 250 fourstroke be worth the swap power wise?

Post pics of cool MX blasters if ya got them. This one is forsale on ATVtraderonline.

SYKO
03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/MVC-864S.jpg

thats the 89 blaster I built for my gf 3mm vitos stroker crank .40 wiscoe, but left the stock pipe and carb to "detune it for a while until she says its slow"

Ive seen a yz250 blaster on planet blaster before that was a really nice job and heard that it ripped, but he said the motor easiely overpowerd the suspension and really wasnt worth it, when I was tooling around the atv boneyard near me I ran across a blaster frame (what was left of it) that had a 2 cyl 4 stroke honda rebal 250 motor in it, (hack job) it looked stupid and thos bikes will obly go about 65 wot in a bike chasis so I dont see where that would have been any fun in a quad frame.

BigGreenMachine
03-13-2007, 10:25 PM
How big could you go on a Blaster cylinder/crank? 270 the biggest and would the 270 compare at all to my ported/big carb 250 Tecate?

SYKO
03-13-2007, 10:47 PM
from what I hear a 240 big bore blaster with a 4mm stroker (wich requires case trenching) makes power alittle better than a piped 250 motor, Ive heard of the big super blasters like the 270 and 280 but havnt heard what kind of power they have, pesonally the blaster is perfect the way it is if I wanted bigger I would go with a trx 250r lt 250r or banshee

85ytz250n
03-14-2007, 10:32 PM
I had a buddy that had a blaster for a while, got it completely stock and I wasnt impressed at all. Then he put a pipe on and tuned it for it and what a difference. The frame really felt like it was to short for the power that it had with just a little bit of mods. I would however ride one with a YZ250 motor in it, but wouldnt do it myself without doing the swinger and a-arms treatment.

Barry

200x newby
03-14-2007, 10:46 PM
i had a sweet little blaster that had a tommey B1 full exhaust and big bore kit bored over even more about .30 over. boysen reeds and spacer and race clutch it beat 400ex's

scooterroo
03-15-2007, 09:16 PM
well you wont get any complaints from me on my blaster. fresh 240 kit in it, 30mm carb, vforce reeds, spacer, fmf pipe and silencer. run 14/ 40 gearing, 18 inch maxxis razrs. the bike moves for a blaster, wouldnt compare to the t3 but then again, they are a totally different class of bike. i have a 3inch extended swinger, a 450r rear shock to mount yet, banshee front disc brakes, and will also be getting both an extended rear axle for it, as well as +2 a-arms with works shocks.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/scooterroo/zachbday022.jpg

what i have rolling around in my head is dropping a nice t3 motor in the blastr frame. i think that would be the shiznit. light weight, monster power....ooo the possibilities.

CHAINSAW
03-19-2007, 10:24 PM
I crammed a 78 YZ250 in a blaster like 4 or 5 year ago. I had pics of the project, but cant seem to find em now. I built it to make the ultimate sleeper dragger blaster, because the old air cooled YZ engines look similar to a blaster engine to the untrained eye. The pipe was the biggest problem, the frame modding wasnt bad. I finished it.. rode it, then parted it out and sold it all off to fund other trike projects at the time. There are pics out there somewhere of it.. I just cant find them right now.

NOS_350X
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Put a yz490 motor in there, most people woudnt tell because there both air cooled.

I just worked on this girls 280 blaster and it MOVED. It ran extremely well. In the tt racing i do this 12yo raced a blaster in the expert open/pro and he held his own agenst the 450's no problem. that engine was over a 300(special crank and bore type of stuff) Youd belive it to see that sucker pull a holeshot on the 450's. The main problem was once it heated up he started to drasticaly loose power.

scooterroo
03-19-2007, 11:18 PM
ok gotta know more about these 280 and 270 kits i been hearing about....whats the deal, anyone with more info on them?

RedRider_AK
04-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Speaking of a 250 Rebel powered blaster, isn't that basically what a Kymco mongoose 250 is? I heard they're just Honda Rebel engines in Blaster-style frames.

SET THE STAGE
04-01-2007, 03:03 PM
i don't see any possibility of a 250f engine in a blaster without some frame heightening or stretching even maybe.

BUT, i've seen quite a few 125/250 2-stroke swaps.

BigGreenMachine
04-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I like the idea of the modern 250 in one. The 490 motor would be fun! Trick some ppl into racing for "fun."

RedRider_AK
04-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I like the idea of the modern 250 in one. The 490 motor would be fun! Trick some ppl into racing for "fun."

I agree with you on the 250 idea, for both 2 and 4 stroke engines. Just plain fun and light, with a 4 stroker it'd be plenty torquey LOL.

490? That's a 2-stroke, right? Are you ever gonna get a Blaster to hook up enough to actually put that power to the ground, without it obviously looking like a drag quad? I thought we were going for stealth here :lol:

BigGreenMachine
04-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I agree with you on the 250 idea, for both 2 and 4 stroke engines. Just plain fun and light, with a 4 stroker it'd be plenty torquey LOL.

490? That's a 2-stroke, right? Are you ever gonna get a Blaster to hook up enough to actually put that power to the ground, without it obviously looking like a drag quad? I thought we were going for stealth here :lol:

It would hook up enough to put you on your butt I'm sure, especially with a stock swinger. To anyone that didn't know better (kids whos dad paid for their machine/mods) it would look pretty stock except for the size difference.

James