PDA

View Full Version : Blaster perfomance help

the great gazoo
03-14-2007, 08:06 PM
A buddy of mine has a '99(?) blaster with a 30mm carb, new reeds, & a full FMF(not sure which type) exhaust system. The bike does fine in the lower gears, but up top, she's bogging pretty bad. He thinks it's something with the main jet- I think he might be right, but I'm not real good with 2stroke performance, Any suggestions?

BigGreenMachine
03-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Well is it a jetting condition or something clogging the main?

Do a WOT plug chop to see if its a lean bog or a rich bog and go from there.

the great gazoo
03-15-2007, 12:51 PM
What's a plug chop? WOT in neutral for a minute or two, then pull the plug?

scooterroo
03-15-2007, 03:25 PM
definately a jetting prob, mine was that way as well till i started tinkering. i am running a new 240 kit, shaved head, fmf fatty gold pipe on powercore silencer, 30mm carb and vforce reeds with a spacer and an open airfilter with outerwears. mine was great in low to mid, but once i got onto it, bogged right out. upped the main and waalaa, thing purrs like a kitten. and the power is awesome. amazing what you can do to these blasters and how much more power you can get out of them. plug chops are how you read your plug. correct me if i am wrong here, but you put in a new plug, run it at wide open throttle and kill the motor, take out the plug, see the color, and keep doing it till you have the correct color plug for the right lean/rich mixture, a new plug everytime you do it as well.it is one way to tell how rich or lean you are, make your adjustments accordingly.

BigGreenMachine
03-15-2007, 04:10 PM
You have to be moving under load to do a plug chop. Get in top gear WOT for like 5-10 seconds and kill it. Then read the plug. Black=rich and white=lean. Paper bag colour is spot on.

the great gazoo
03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like it's starving for fuel in the higher gears, so I'm gonna have him try a larger main to start. Will Report back in a couple days. Again, thanks a lot!:D TGG..................

mbg75
03-17-2007, 09:20 PM
never use a new plug to do a plug chop. you'll get an incorrect reading.

jason85atc250r
03-17-2007, 11:01 PM
elimanate the oil injection that helps alot in the rumming department.

when i raced blasters the guys with oil injection still on there quads would blow them up alot. it does not give you enough oil when your flying around flat out and to much when your putting aound.

when they switched they said the quad was way faster