PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Arctic Cat Panther clicking sound

Nick_R_23
03-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I have the biggest piece of junk panther in the world, and unsuprisingly it needs work AGAIN. :( For the last few days, it has been making a clicking sound, its loud enough to hear over the engine and the helmet. Its a 'progressive' sound, like the faster you go the faster the click goes. It doesnt make the sound when its sitting. I know its not anything in front of the driven clutch, because my belt disentigrated yesterday and my brother had to steer it home while I towed it and he said it was still making the sound. I have it jacked up right now, and I cant find anything loose or broken. All the bearings are nice and tight. This started a few days ago. The strange thing is, it doesnt appear to click while the track is in the air. Any suggestions to whats making the sound before I find out what it is the hard and expensive way?

-Nick :TrikesOwn

oddball3
03-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Check your track, make sure you don't have any ripped or torn lugs. That might be hitting in the tunnel or in the suspension.

84honda200s
03-22-2007, 11:34 PM
my sleds use to do it. mine was the secondary clutch housing. it broke at the bottom and drained the oil.

Nick_R_23
03-23-2007, 02:46 AM
Well I finally got tired of it hanging from the shop ceiling and not having anything to ride, so I took it out and tried it. It had a new belt this time. It didnt make the sound anymore but all I did to it was hang it in the air for 2 days??:crazy:

Funny you mention the secondary clutch, thats exactly where it sounded like it was coming from. But the housing (im guessing you mean the chaincase?) isnt broke I dont think, and its got a new chain in it last month. Everything works smoothly now. I dont know if the sound suddenly going away w/o doing anything is good or not though. :lol: Oh well its just got 400 miles the last 3 days so It cant be that bad! :beer

-Nick :TrikesOwn