PDA

View Full Version : sled question

oldskool83
03-17-2007, 09:04 PM
i see guys up the street at my parents house cross the street every time it snows (got 12" so they been out riding all day about) but wouldnt that screw up track?

i was just wondering because the place i bought had tons of open preserved farm land around it but i am not right across the street. i would of been if i bought a house with a sink hole in the back yard.

i would have on stright section of road to cross about 2 football feilds or about a 2 lane road if id ride thry everyones front yard. i was just wondering what riding across the road will really do. i know other ways a guy up the street goes with his but after the roads plowed he dont ride anymore cuz he to far away.

just wondering, i am sled stupid and dont know, all i know is i see sleds all the time for 100-400 bucks running but they are 20-30 year old machines. i saw one at the gas station the other day its a 78 artic cat 340, not sure what the modle name is but its really in great shape for 300 bucks

just wanted to know, ive always wanted a sled.

toocheaptosmoke
03-17-2007, 10:52 PM
the only thing you have to worry about is keeping the slides wet so they dont start melting, that takes a few hundred yards of riding on dry ground though. If you're going to be going on the road for a ways kick a bunch of snow into the rear suspension to give it some lube. you don't always have much steering control when driving on pavement either. Go pick up a cheap sled and beat the crap out of it, they are a ton of fun :beer

84honda200s
03-18-2007, 01:01 AM
you will also mess up the skegs on the front if you ride on pavement too much. as said get a old 440 and have fun with it. i know i had tons of fun with old sleds. the problem is i had too much fun and went threw 7 of them.

icp4life162005
04-11-2007, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't worry much about the track as long as you do goose the throttle when on pavement your track should be fine. As for the skags, you will not want to be on Dry pavement even a light coating of snow is better or at least wet and remember you will have no real steering control. Think of a big bore trike with a bald front tire trying to turn in the mud with an inexpirenced rider. Turning on pavement with a sled is a lot like that.