PDA

View Full Version : lt230s HP vs 220 bayou vs trx250ex

Just_Randy
03-18-2007, 01:13 AM
I've read many a post here that says the qsport has about 11hp. Kawasaki's website says the 220 bayou has 17 hp at 7500 rpm. The california emission's testing pdf file I found online for the 250ex says it has about 15hp.

I can tell you right now my kaw has nothing on the bottom end and by the time I get the revs up the clutch slips all to hell and I get nothing to the wheels anyway. The 250ex to me seems like it has twice the hp of my kaw. It'll pop the front end up in 3rd pretty easy. I might be able to yank the kaw up in 2nd about 6 inches. I haven't had a chance to ride the 230 yet, still waiting on parts, but from what I've read it has plenty of pep and will wheelie pretty easy.

All the engines are about the same size, 215, 229 and 229. So, the only thing I can figure is the cam for the kaw has a whopping duration whereas the other 2 must have very low durations - especially the lt230. So, my question is why would kawasaki put such a hot cam in a stricty utility machine and why would suzuki put a pulling-cam in a stricty sport machine? That's the only way these numbers make sense to me. Weird huh?

So, here I am boring the 230 out 60 over hoping to get another hp and what will I have??? 12hp??? wtf???

xman23
03-18-2007, 10:53 AM
yea i dont know a whole lot about these quads but my friend also has a bayou and his doesnt seam all that bad for power for only being a 220. His tho is extreamly tough, he beats that thing so hard and hasnt had a problem yet on it, he also put a cobra pipe on his

Just_Randy
03-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Cuz of the cam I think it has, I bet it would have oodles of power with a pipe, bigger carb, and a decent port job... But still nothing on the bottom end.