PDA

View Full Version : Bolt on Mods for Blaster

MudyTrikeGrl
04-27-2003, 10:28 AM
Hi... Can anyone help me. I have a totally stock Blaster. I would like to start to upgrade to get a little bit more HP out of it. I dont want to put a Pipe and Silencer on yet. I honestly dont think I am ready for both. It will have too much power. Is there any pipe out there (I prefer FMF) that will bolt on to my stock pipe? I know if I posted this on BlasterHQ I would get some cocky kid telling me that I am nuts... But I am nuts.... ha ha ha So that is why I am posting here. You guys are much nicer. :-D

Thanks

ATCRYDER
04-27-2003, 11:16 AM
I think you would enjoy the standard upgrade package: Air Filter, Exhaust, and Rejetting the carb (maybe all thatd run jsut above $240 depending on where and what you buy).

I tell ya: I just tried a friend's 97 Blaster that he's sellin. It had the FMF Exhaust and who knows what else but man that thing i was a kick in the arse when ya hit the throttle!

MudyTrikeGrl
04-27-2003, 11:35 AM
It is not the money that I really worry about. It is that kick in the Arse that I am worried about... :? I wont look so cool if I am hangin upside down in a tree with by bike below me... ha ha ha

I didnt know if there was a way to add say a FMF Pwercore silencer and then add the pipe when I get the feel of that. See, the problem is I think that I am Superchick when I ride... I have only been riding seriously for a couple years and sometimes well I get alittle CRAZY and I just dont want to add too much HP to it all at once.

I bet your friends blaster scoots with the FMF combo. :-D

Thanks for the input!!!

YAMAHA_Jim
04-27-2003, 10:26 PM
check out www.trengaracing.com They have everything for blasters and lots of info on modding them.First thing is a oil injection blk off kit for $30.The FMF pipe/silencer would be my last choice for an exaust.I hope to have a LRD for my Blaster soon.

MudyTrikeGrl
04-28-2003, 05:51 AM
Thanks....I will go and check out Tengra Racing. I have been to there site before, just lookin around. You like the LDR pipe better than FMF.... is it better all around power? I will have to look into that. Now honestly why would you block off the oil injection? I know I run a mix of gas and oil, but why block it off? Thanks !!!!

MudyTrikeGrl

TimSr
04-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Youve got to be a little more specific about what you are shooting for in choosing a pipe. Pipes usually dont add much horsepower so much as they rearrange it. Its hard to beat a stock pipe for low end, but most others are made to wake up the top end. Silencers, on the other hand, rarely have any effect on performance whatsoever. One place you might want to pose this question is www.ohioquadracing.com for engine mods, and favorite pipe choices for motocross racing. Also Pitracer.com. These are motocross sites with a lot of Blaster racers. I know a 240cc stroker is a favorite, and one that is done right will run side by side on the straights with my stock 250R.

CHAD-98
04-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Hey,
Oil injectors on blasters are known for failing. And there is no way of telling when they go bad.
The pump is run by a small plastic gear, that is easily stripped.
Since the oil in the tank is used very slowly, you won't know the pump failed,...till it's too late.
That is the first thing I did when I got my blaster. (I'm glad I did)
I heard too many stories of seized engines not to do it.
Trenga is the way to go, $30, then you can premix at 32:1, and rest assured that your engine is getting the right amount of oil.

Get rid of your oil pump, before it gets rid of your engine.

Dave

MudyTrikeGrl
04-28-2003, 10:27 PM
Youve got to be a little more specific about what you are shooting for in choosing a pipe. Pipes usually dont add much horsepower so much as they rearrange it. Its hard to beat a stock pipe for low end, but most others are made to wake up the top end. Silencers, on the other hand, rarely have any effect on performance whatsoever. One place you might want to pose this question is www.ohioquadracing.com for engine mods, and favorite pipe choices for motocross racing. Also Pitracer.com. These are motocross sites with a lot of Blaster racers. I know a 240cc stroker is a favorite, and one that is done right will run side by side on the straights with my stock 250R.

Ultimately I am looking to upgrade the whole system when I am ready.... but for now I was looking for a little throatier sound and a little increased power like if you remove the end cap of a silencer and the air box lid. (plus I am a girl and shinney things are "pretty") :-P
When I bought it I ended up having the main bearings rebuilt and put rings in it as well just because it was apart........It sits me in my seat when I get on it!!! So I just want to gradually add power ultimately ending up boring it out to make it crisp again and putting a pipe on to accompany the silencer.
I will check out the ohio racing website...Thanks !!
But does anyone know if the after market silencer bolts onto the stock pipe?????
THANKS TimSr. !!!!! ;)

MudyTrikeGrl

YAMAHA_Jim
04-28-2003, 10:32 PM
I spoke to a few people about the LRD pipe,and for the type of riding I do it will work best.Its a better all around pipe rather than a top end mx pipe.Besides I have a stock Blaster to ride so now I'm modding my woods racer almost to the max. 240kit would be nice but everyone I've seen requires 106 octane or better.
The blaster oil injector mixes at 32-1 which is a bit rich for the blaster,thats why they smoke. Some say that the oil injection pump can fail to although i have yet to see one break.I mix my gas at 40 to 1 w/klotz supertechniplate or maxima castor 927 or superM.Blocking off the oil injection is the first thing to do if you want to start modding your blaster, unless you like filling up at the pump.Trenga has a section on thier site about modding blasters and what to do first. Adding one of those flamed out ALBA graphics kit will make your Blaster go faster too :0

TimSr
04-29-2003, 05:21 PM
Ill second what Jim said. Ive never seen an injector fail, but Im sure they have somewhere. If I was going to premix 32:1 I probably would just stick with the injector, but go to premix for the purpose of running leaner. There are a lot more good oil choices for premix, and only a few make good synthetics for injector systems. We ran Belray Si-7 for a while in TimJrs E-Ton before I disconnected so he could run my standard MC1 50:1 mix.