PDA

View Full Version : Im about to stud my track. Any advice

Banage
03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Im going to get them from DennisKirk. It my 90 Prowler 440. Im thinking 140 witch is 2 studs an inch, between the lugs in the shape of an arrow.
any other ideas? I have never done this before so its all new to me.

nate b
03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
do you mainly trail ride, ride on lakes, race, is it stock. If its a stock trail rider 96-120 studs would probably be good for a 440. If you got the extra cash and think you need more go for 144, more studs you put in the more weight you got turning under there. get some tunnel protectors and a stud template and a track cutter and go to work.

Banage
03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
every year there is less and less snow. This yeah i only hit the trails ONCE due to lack of snow. Mostly, Im on the lakes. And im fish tailing all over the place. I never race, and its bone stock.

Banage
03-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I found this. I can not get the pictures to work. Can anyone else?

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/articles/default.asp?cid=2&aid=5

oddball3
03-22-2007, 06:50 PM
When you order the studs also order a stud template. It will help laying out the pattern and you will get the right scratch lines.

Banage
03-22-2007, 10:08 PM
where does a tunnel protecter go? When i order, do I get one for each row of studs? I assume instructions will be included on mounting

nate b
03-22-2007, 11:18 PM
tunnel protectors mount in the tunnel. they will come as a pair and will have instructions.

hondahaulic
03-25-2007, 01:23 AM
yea if you ride alot of lakes and dont plan to race, 144 should be good. me and my dad have always studded our own sleds and one thing we do is try to avoid putting the studs on the far outsides of the track, because they tend to rip out easier. you may or may not have this problem with your 440. And unless your pretty picky, you shouldnt really need a template. Its not too hard to get them pretty straight without one, we have done several tracks and never used one.

InPiEcEs
04-02-2007, 01:25 AM
I would go with 120 with your 440.........144+ will be a bit much.
Got with 7mm studs, and aluminum backers.
The template makes life pretty easy as afr as marking you holes, plus you aleays have one. Get ya a track drill as well.
The most common 96 stud pattern is 2 per section, and if you go 120, you could go every other one 3, or every 4th one 4.
144 would be 2 and 4 being a common one.
The tunnel protectors go in your tunnel lining up with the windows in your track.
They keep the studs from chewing your tunnel.
As far s stud length, get some 1/4 inch taller than your lug height. Thats all you should need for general use. Any more, and you risk chewing your tunnel up.