PDA

View Full Version : Yama Breeze won't idle

ccdhowell
03-29-2007, 09:29 PM
I picked this little quad up for my daughter a week or so back. Changed oil an plug and cleaned the air filter. I cannot get this thing to idle all the time. It is very inconsistent, sometimes it will idle fine, other times not at all and it dies as soon as the engine speed nears idle. I adjusted the idle speed screw on the side of the carb and it seems real touchy. A little touch of a move will send the idle sky high to where it won't go into gear, it's an automatic. A little bitty bump in the other direction and it dies.

What can I look for to help me make this thing idle?

Runs great otherwise.

Thanks, Chris

DeePa
03-29-2007, 09:34 PM
bad throttle cable? bad cable routing? Gunk stopping slide from moving freely?

fatcat
03-29-2007, 09:38 PM
cleaning the carb might help

ccdhowell
03-30-2007, 08:29 AM
DeePa, never thought of a bad cable, I'll lube it this weekend. And clean it out, just for good measure. Thanks, Chris

diggerzmound
03-30-2007, 09:48 AM
The best way to fix this problem will be to clean the carburetor. The pilot jets are very small and prone to plugging. The carburetor is very easy to remove and straight forward to clean. Get a can of carburetor cleaner and remove the jets and use the straw to force cleaner through it. Idling will be handled by the pilot circuit, this will be the smaller jet inside the bowl and the brass flat head screw on the shifter side of the quad just above the fuel bowl. If you do not want to dis-assemble the carburetor, back the pilot screw out and use the straw to force carburetor cleaner through the ports behind the screw.

To properly adjust the pilot screw, screw it in and lightly bottom it out, then back it out 2 turns. Start the engine, set the idle of the quad slightly higher then normal and then adjust the pilot screw until the engine idles the highest and then back out 1/2 turn.

ccdhowell
03-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks digger, will do. Not afraid of takin' the carb apart. Chris