PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my 85 tecate, assistance needed please

kaseobeer2585
03-31-2007, 06:13 PM
I did some searching around and really couldnt find all that much on the subject so I thought Id make a post and hopefully get pointed in the right direction. I have an 85 tecate that ran pretty sweet before my brother was riding it and "it just quit" now it wont start and it seems as though the compression is quite a bit less than it used to be. Any insight as to what may have happened? I wasnt there so I dont know if what he told me is true or not. I plan on tearing the whole thing down and powdercoating everything. I want to rebuild the engine with some goodies to give it some more power. I've been looking around the net and have come up empty handed in finding after market performance parts. So I'm looking for parts and suggestions as to what I can do to this beast while its all torn down. Thanks for the help!

scooterroo
03-31-2007, 09:46 PM
well when it comes to the 85 t3 your not going to find to many after market goodies right off hand. they have become pretty much discontinued. heres a few i can think of off hand if your gonna rebuild it. if you can get your hands on an 83-84 kx cylinder that is one of the best upgrades you can do to the 85 t3. then throw on the kx ignition aswell. stator, flywheel, cdi, and coil. get your self a nice pipe. dg is basically the only one who makes one now. they are on ebay left and right. or post an add in classifieds on here, lot of nice people with the parts to help you out. i got a nice rare nos jimmy white replica bassani tuned racing pipe for cheap off the classifieds on here. then you can go with with either boysen or vforce reeds. i am going with the vforce reeds in my t3. i am going with a tmx 38 mm carb as well. sprock racing makes big bore kits if you wanna go that way, also they make some nice billet cool heads for the 85. will make that motor scream. play with your gearing, change between combos to see what you like. suspension wise, a good thing to do is get the swinger extended. moose53 on here can extend a swinger, and does an excellent job at it. that will assist in keeping the front end down somewhat seeing is how the bike tends to like it nose in the air. durablue makes some nice easyfit wheelspacers, and progressive makes some nice springs for the forks to. the parts are out there, just have to do your investigating and searching. if you need a motor rebuilt and your not to keen on doing it yourself, give gregg at cwr a shout, he does great work. for rear shocks you can either use a raptor rear shock with minimum mods, or a 300ex shock basically bolts right up. thats about all i can think of right now.

kaseobeer2585
04-01-2007, 12:27 AM
ok cool, thanks! off to scour the net!