PDA

View Full Version : Blasting Cabinet Opinions?

DeePa
04-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey...

Instead of spending a bunch of money at a sandblaster to blast my stuff, id rather spend 250-300 on a cabinet and be able to do all of the small stuff myself. Say everything but the frame and swinger (swinger may fit).

I am looking at this one...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93608

i have a 5 hp electric air compressor from craftsman. I dont know what CFM it puts out, but i was able to do my 200s frame 2 years ago with it. ONly problem is that it pops the curcuit breaker once in a while, but if i put the cabinet in the basement, problem solved.

What do you guys use? Anyone have this particular model? Should i get a cheaper one for what im doing? Maybe a bench model? Maybe a bigger model?

This one comes to 260 shipped to my door in Rhode Island.

THanks,

Mike

edog
04-03-2007, 01:54 PM
To do the sandblasting right and fast your going to need to spend $300+ for a good compressor.Or build one like mine for $150.

DeePa
04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
how would i do that?

ill try my compressor out first, and it will probably get the job done good enough for me. Maybe later on in the year ill get a better on.

Mike

edog
04-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Here is the compressor I put together.It runs on 220 Volts

DeePa
04-03-2007, 02:22 PM
should i just buy a smaller cabinet?

all ill be blasting is stuff like claipers, brake brackets, maybe hubs, master cylinders, occasional motor cases, cylinders, triples, maybe a swinger?

mike

edog
04-03-2007, 02:26 PM
All right if you want to do it cheap.

Lay down a large tarp on the ground.Get a hazmat jumper and a face shield and some long rubber gloves.Face mask,goggles.

I get the strangest look from people driving buy.:crazy:

thefox
04-03-2007, 02:27 PM
I made a cabinet for about $20. It is too small to fit frames and axels but everything else fits. I used a 4'x8' sheet of 1/8 something (can't think if the name now), a couple of 1"x2" strips, some cabinet hinges, and some spare Plexiglas. I think it is better to make a cheap cabinet that works fine and spend the money on a better compressor. A small compressor will work but it will make blasting parts take a lot longer. I will post up some pictures when I go home in a couple of days.

Mr. Clean
04-03-2007, 02:50 PM
should i just buy a smaller cabinet?

all ill be blasting is stuff like claipers, brake brackets, maybe hubs, master cylinders, occasional motor cases, cylinders, triples, maybe a swinger?

mike

If you were ready to spend the money, I think that cabinet would be perfect. You may eventually need to get a bigger compressor. For the time being small parts wont require the compressor to run for long periods. There have been some good ideas put forth in this thread. Consider your time as time is money. That thing will pay for itself real quick.

The specs for the cabinet call for a 5 horse compressor which is what you have.

This is My humble opinion.

Mike D.

DeePa
04-03-2007, 02:53 PM
it might by a 5 cfm compressor...im porb mistaken...

mike

kb200x
04-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Deepa

I have almost the exact same cabinet from Harbor freight its just a little smaller in my shop. I actually think its the same just the older model with out the stand. I have a craftsman 3 1/2 horse compressor and it does fine for the smaller stuff. It recommends that you run the pressure at 100 psi. The compressor does run alot but it does fine. If you have a 5 horse you shouldn't have a problem at all. A swingarm will fit but you can't move it around much at all.
I wouldn't recommend putting it in a basement unless you are going to run some kind of vent system to it. DUSTY!

edog
04-03-2007, 03:25 PM
You can run it in a basement.Just hook up a shop vac to it.

dreadhed
04-03-2007, 04:09 PM
I built a cabinet out of a big Tupperware & some plexiglass. Then I just have some long rubber glove I wear when I am blasting. I works all right. The bigger compressor the better.

MIK6
04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I picked up a small benchtop cabnet. 1st thing I did was mod it, I put a hose connect on the inside of the cabnet. now I can hook it up to a gravity set up w/ one gun. I then made a 5ft wide 3x3 booth. small benchtop 4 parts, homemade 4 frames. I also use the homemade as a paint booth.
MIK6 / Mike

Yamahauler
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
We have a 48" blast cabinet at work. I used it to sandblast my engine cases and it would hardly blast the paint off them...It is a cheap chinese cabinet and gun. We have a large compressor, so thats not the problem...Could it be the gun or siphoning mechanism?

Also, if you get one of the blast cabinets with the plexi windows, they go to **** after a few uses, take it out and replace it with a pane of glass, Thats what we did, I think its $35 a pane. and its been 6 months (not a whole lot of use though), and you can still see through it perfect, not as staticy as plexi too.

J.D.
04-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey edog, how big are those tanks? And what sizemotor is that you're using?

edog
04-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey edog, how big are those tanks? And what sizemotor is that you're using?

1.50 HP,80gallons....it's all about the VOLUME.I can run 100 psi all day long.

rugabugadouglas
04-03-2007, 08:02 PM
heres the one i built out of 3/4 inch ply a old storm window and a light. i just cut up a shirt put some slits in it for the hand holes and wear a long sleeve shirt you could scale it down if you want too. mine is 4' long 3' tall and 2' wide and it works good just make the angle part the lid so you can fit larger parts in and dont loose sand

rugabugadouglas
04-03-2007, 08:04 PM
sorry i guess you need the link http://members.aol.com/jaransont3/LatestNews.html

dreadhed
04-03-2007, 08:58 PM
1.50 HP,100gallons....it's all about the VOLUME.I can run 100 psi all day long.
A 1.5 hp motor can keep up with both of those tanks at 100 psi? What kind of tanks are those. I would not mind hooking some thing like that to my compressor.

rugabugadouglas
That is a nice cabinet you built.

rugabugadouglas
04-03-2007, 10:31 PM
oh mines diffrent thats what i used as a refrence to build mine i think mine is better cause its mine!!

DeePa
04-05-2007, 01:00 AM
well it turns out that my uncle went on a road trip to NY a few months ago to pick up a 12hp gas powered air compressor. I dont know the gallon amount, but its built into its own trailer and puts out around 25cfm at 80-100 psi.

So since he only uses it to blow out sprinkler systems in october, i can use it whenever needed. THe other good thing is that he is only 3 miles away.

On that note, ill start saving and just use that compressor and bring the blasting cabinet outside when i want to use it.

You guys sure that that specific cabinet is good? Maybe get a bigger one now that i know i have a compresor that will be fine?

Thanks for all of your help.

MIke