PDA

View Full Version : Tecate 4 Teardown...

SpeedBump
04-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Now that the new 4Fiddy is here, I can get to work on my abused T4. The poor girl has WAY too many hrs on it since its last major service. Spent a few hours rippin into it today. Short list of things that will be done.

Most important...the engine. The compression was so low, had to get it pullstarted the last couple times out. I measured the endgap in the rings.... .030 OOPS!!! MAJOR blow-by on the piston and lots of carbon buildup. Not want like to see in my engines.;) It is getting some much needed assistance. new long rod crank, seals, new cylinder (different porting) and toppin it off with a Jet-Ski piston. Should displace around 313cc. This new engine will be running strong with the new pipe I got as well....a SprockRacing BB pipe. Can't wait, should be faster than it was before, and more torque as well. I'm thinkin it will pull the taller 14 tooth front sprocket now. 90mph all day long. :w00t: (Charlie, better put some more into the Rappy! :naughty: )

Frame is also gettin some attention. I have known for a while the frame was cracked. Nothing major, but seeing how the engine is out...I'll weld it up before it gets worse. Another thing I want to do with the frame, get rid of a couple mounts. This frame is a 87. It mounts the rear shock rezzy up front. HORRIBLE design. The rezzy is for extra oil capacity, but the boneheads mounted it right next to the dang pipe! Real smart! Why not just boil the oil for me? :rolleyes: I have a 88 subframe now, and the rezzy mounts on it, so I don't need these front mounts....GONE! The last thing with the frame...gonna go over the upper shock mounts. These are not the stockers. They have been added axtra so a longer shock can be used with the +3 a-arms. Speaking of shocks, I may get these all revalved and freshened up while its down. (money issues...last thing...)

The only bearing/bushing needed...swingarm pivot bearings and the steering stem bushing. Couple quick fixes. The entire front end has had all the bearings/bushing and tierods replaced this past spring. The rear bearing carrier and axle are new as well.

After I get these things done...some overall detailing...and fresh paint/polish for mostly everything. Kicking around the idea of polishing my swinger...we'll see how my time holds up. I am not sure what color to go with on the frame this time. Leaning towards the stocker looking silver. Black fits the "look" nicely, but always looks dirty. White would be equally kewl, but a real bear to clean as well. Seen blue ones, and not really like that. Yeah, probably silver...yeah.

Enough rambling...I know how everyone likes the pics, so I snapped some while I was gettin into it. I don't think I'll be up and running this again till summer. Would like to make Smith Road with it...would be sweet to roll in with a fresh looking Rag.

SpeedBump
04-04-2007, 07:57 PM
More :pics:

BigGreenMachine
04-04-2007, 08:45 PM
BOO!!! No silver, PINK!!! Pink and lime green get along great! That or a charcoal/dark silver. I think the black looks great though.

G-MAN-1
04-05-2007, 10:23 AM
those reeds are on the reed cage wrong. i do know that. g

cr480r
04-05-2007, 02:20 PM
those reeds are on the reed cage wrong. i do know that. g

I disagree...

03 ORANGE SHEE
04-05-2007, 09:00 PM
the reeds are on correct. t-3 , t-4 and 87 quadzilla reeds are the same , i have the same reeds on mine, thats the way i put mine on. if i put them on wrong, it made it run like a bat outa hell !!