PDA

View Full Version : So I've been test driving new trucks...

Dammit!
04-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Don't know when I'll be able to finally get one myself but decided to go test drive everything anyway. :crazy:

So far I've driven the following. All were 2007 models.

Dodge RAM 2500 Big Horn (5.7 HEMI)
Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (6.0 Vortec)
Nissan Titan (5.6 whatever they call it)
Toyota Tundra (5.7 I-Force)

I haven't driven one of the Fords yet.

The new Tundra beats the crap out of all of them in just about every obvious aspect (at least what you can tell from a cursory look and test drive). It accelerates the fastest (easily) and feels the most powerful (which it is, at 381hp). It handles great, the interior was the nicest. It has the greatest towing capacity (10,800lbs). Gas mileage is about the same as the Dodge and Titan (14/18) even though it does not shut down any cylinders during normal driving like the Dodge. They look a lot better in person than what I've seen on TV and the web too. Very nice looking truck. I was very impressed.

The Titan was nicer than I was expecting too, especially as far as creature comforts go. Nice interior and lots of little whizz-bang features like storage compartments and all that. Handles very well. Didn't feel remarkably powerful though. Nissan claims 9400lbs towing capacity but I was told there's a catch to that. Alledgedly this towing capacity is only when the outside temperature is under 94 degrees. Don't know if that's true or not but if it is, it's beyond gay.

The RAM was real nice. Had good power, decent acceleration. The interior was a little on the plain side but not as bad as the Chevy. It's a damn good looking truck for sure. Towing was right about 10,000lbs with the HEMI motor. I think the HEMI was rated at 340hp. It handled well. Brakes felt a little odd.

The Chevy was a disappointment. The one I test drove was a 4x2 2500HD running on the new 6.0 liter gas engine, not the diesel. The thing felt like a tank going down the road compared to all of the others. Just felt really heavy. Acceleration sucked. Did not feel like 360hp to me. I could never get a completely straight answer on the gas mileage. Interior was blah. One cool feature that Chevy has now is the G80 locking differentials. I was shown a DVD demonstration on how that works and it's pretty slick. I don't think I'd get stuck in the sand that often even in a 2 wheel drive with that differential. I might go back and test a 1500 4x4. The towing capacity on those is lower than the others though. Like 8700lbs I think it was.

I didn't test any diesels because I don't think I'd buy one when the time comes. I know a diesel would be far, far better for towing but since 95% of the time I drive in the city, it doesn't make sense to get a diesel for the 5% of the time that I'd be hauling anything.

That's it. Just thought I'd share my impressions. :welcome:

team-red-rider
04-07-2007, 08:20 PM
get the DODGE!

Yamahauler
04-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Chev is the way to go. Its a beautiful truck. just for that reason I would buy one (and my uncle is a dealer)

team-red-rider
04-07-2007, 08:29 PM
well heres a few reasons to get a DODGE!
A:HEMI
B:They look EXTREMELY nice!
C:Theres LOTS of Mods and parts available
D:LONGEST LASTING MOST DEPENDABLE TRUCKS !! (yea i kno stole tht from ford ..but its true!!!)

x.system
04-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Definatly test the 1500 chevy, its a total different feel than the 2500. My boss has the 2500 and I have the 1500, whenever I drive his truck it feels like the brakes are on all the time compared to mine, the 1500 also feels a little more nimble. I see alot of guys switching from the chevy to the new toyotas around here, my boss is even considering it when its time for a new truck.

I went out to get a truck and was pretty set on the ford but ended up buying a gmc after I drove the ford. Didn't care to much for the interior of the new f150 so I got an older model gmc. I don't think I will ever buy a new vehicle, I'll let someone else take the initial hit on depreciation. I normally buy them with under 20,000 so they have plenty of warranty left.

Tri-ZNate
04-07-2007, 08:43 PM

:rolleyes: They are NOT a true Hemi. The only Hemi part of them is the sparkplug in the center of the head. Dodge owns the name so they slap it on all they can

Dammit if you end up looking at deisels do not get a brand new one ('07 and up). they have so much crap on them anymore its not even funny. And I hate to say it but the ford 6.4L is at such a high state of tune between everything being computerize (Even monitors milage so the new DPS filter can clean itself out :rolleyes:) that it is inevitable to have issues. the other brands are probably the same way

edog
04-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Tundra "HANDS DOWN"
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/edog_02/2375445140032830878SUtivh_ph.jpg

RedRider_AK
04-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Have you thought about the new Power Wagon yet? FourWheeler magazine rated it top truck of 2006, I believe.

Dammit!
04-07-2007, 09:26 PM
B:They look EXTREMELY nice!
C:Theres LOTS of Mods and parts available
D:LONGEST LASTING MOST DEPENDABLE TRUCKS !! (yea i kno stole tht from ford ..but its true!!!)

HEMI or not, the toyota would kill it in a drag race. Probably loaded or unloaded it wouldn't matter. The difference is pretty striking when you drive them back to back. They do look great, yeah, but the Tundras look awesome in person too and the interior is nicer. And most dependable? Depends on who you're talking to because everybody says that about their truck. :lol:

Out of the four I've driven so far, it was no contest. Those new Tundras are NICE. Surprisingly so. If anyone is in the market for a brand new truck, check them out for sure before buying anything. The sales manager told me they're trying to get as many of them on the road as possible right now and they'd make me a smoking deal. It's tempting but I have other fish to fry right now.

Yamahauler
04-07-2007, 09:29 PM
how often do you drag race trucks????? just get the most useful one with the biggest box. (chevrolet)

just my biased opinion

Dammit!
04-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Chevy has the most annoying dealerships by the way. :lol: Dodge, Nissan and Toyota were all no hassle as far as just getting in there, getting the info you want and going for a drive. It took over an hour at the Chevy dealer both times I went and the first time they ended up not even having the model I wanted to test.

Anybody in the market for a new Chevy or GMC, make sure you check out that G80 differential system.

how often do you drag race trucks????? just get the most useful one with the biggest box. (chevrolet)

just my biased opinion

Acceleration is important to me. 95% of the driving I do is in the city and on the expressways. Lots of merging etc. The box size between those two seemed about the same. I think the Nissan had the smallest bed.

mean350
04-07-2007, 10:17 PM
i like my 79 chevy k10;) simple,powerful and just plain wicked looking!!!

Billy Golightly
04-07-2007, 10:28 PM
These gross towing weight capacities are jokes really, and heres why. When you have a gross towing weight capcity, you have to also factor in the vehicles weight. My 3500 Dodge 5.9 diesel, and standard transmission actually has a LOWER towing capacity then the exact same truck with the automatic. Know why? the NV5600 transmission has a cast iron housing, the auto is casted aluminum. The couple hundred lb difference between the trans's gives the auto the higher "rating" but when it comes to ACTUAL towing the standard will kick the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* out of the auto all day any day. The same goes for one engine that might be heavier then another. The hemi probably weighs atleast a couple hundred pounds more then the tundra or titan engine, but lets give each truck a load about 2k over their "rating" and see which one pulls better and faster. Thats the real test. These gross vehicle weight capcity ratings and similar scales are things made up of bureacrats and people that like to make things look bigger and better on paper then they actually are.

Greiver430x
04-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I have a 91 chevy k2500, 8600 gvw it also has a plow and was previously a contractors truck. This truck has been used hard and has almost 250,000 miles on it, with original motor, trans. Hasnt ever left me down I can have two pallets of wood pellets fork lift into the bed at one ton a peice, and it easily handles it. Id go chevy but im also a diehard chevy fan. Go with what you obseved in your test ride its your dollar and you should have something you like. My .02

xman23
04-07-2007, 11:08 PM
if it was me id go with the toyota, but i would look into a half ton chevy with the max motor in it, runs on 4 cyl on highway and 8 under accleration, 20 mpg, but the toyota is preety spendy isnt it, like 42000 for a extended cab?

Dammit!
04-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Prices generally equal out to be about the same for similarly equipped trucks actually. No tremendous difference between them. I'm going to test out the Chevy 1500 this week as well but it's definitely got some stiff competition.

The Tundra also has standard 4 wheel disk brakes that perform a similar function to the G80 differential on the Chevys. The whole purpose of both systems is to send more power to the opposite wheel when one starts spinning. The Chevy does it with a trippy locking differential but only works below 20mph. The Toyota uses computerized braking to put resistance on the wheel that's spinning freely until the other catches up. As far as I know right now Nissan, Ford and Dodge don't have anything that performs that type of function.

Edit: I should mention that Chevy has the best warranty. 100,000 miles I believe on the motor and drivetrain. 36 months on everything else.

I think I got the towing capacity wrong on the RAM too. I think the one I was driving was rated 12,000lbs, not 10,000. The non-HEMI one was rated at just under 9000. The RAM was a 3/4 ton as was the Chevy. The Nissan and Toyotas were both 1/2 ton trucks.

theonlyjosh
04-07-2007, 11:26 PM
I saw a brand new 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 dunno the model it was 4 door... it looked absolutely PIMP!!! but I would chose the ford, cause I love fords haha... my dad went to buy a ford and the dealer wouldn't give him the deal he wanted, and then ended up gettin a gmc, 5 mins later the ford dealership called saying they would sell it to him for what he wanted.

x.system
04-07-2007, 11:50 PM
I saw a brand new 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 dunno the model it was 4 door... it looked absolutely PIMP!!! but I would chose the ford, cause I love fords haha... my dad went to buy a ford and the dealer wouldn't give him the deal he wanted, and then ended up gettin a gmc, 5 mins later the ford dealership called saying they would sell it to him for what he wanted.

That reminds me, Doug, its a buyers market so make the most of it. Those sticker prices mean nothing, make your own deal. If they want to get those new toyotas out on the road, how low are they willing to go :lol: yea, I think you are going to choose the toyota.

Dammit!
04-08-2007, 03:41 AM
I'm working on buying an investment property first. I have access to some pretty incredible oppurtunities through my current broker but my credit is a little subpar. Fortunately, just about everything on my report that is hurting me is incorrect information. I hired a credit repair firm to get working on cleaning up my credit report, as well as taking some initiative to fix a few things myself. It's a pretty simple cleanup job. I just hope it has the impact I need on my FICO score within a reasonable time frame. Once I swing that deal, goodbye S10! :lol:

smokinwrench
04-08-2007, 09:39 AM
I have owned a 2005 Titan since Sept of 2005. It is great, power is unreal. At that time we test drove everything. We really wanted a 1500 Chevy crew cab, because it had the biggest cab of the big 3 auto makers. Then we went to another Chevy/Nissan dealer and test drove a Titan it was no comparison then. It had more power more torque and bigger interior then all of the others also a 5 speed auto trans. Also had the best warranty then. A 6' guy can sit in the back seat andd be completly comfortable. After owning it for about 2 years now it has been perfect. Only complaint I have is the bed is kinda small, I knew that when buying it though. I gave up some bed space for cab space.

If everything is true about these new Toyotas they are gonna be hard to beat in the 1/2 ton department.

edog
04-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Credit 850 and holding....

wheelie king
04-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Nissan or Toyota, DEFINITELY. I heard the new tundra is amazing, but have not driven one yet. Titan is a fantastic truck. Also, Toyotas and Nissans hold their value much better than do the American trucks. Interpret that however you like.

I drive a Nissan now. I am done with Chevrolet... I learned the hard way (twice). Low resale, less quality overall (in my experience, chevy fans- don't hammer me for that), and a way outdated interior.

Be sure to update us on your choice, and good luck

nate b
04-08-2007, 10:34 AM
go test drive a f250 ford with a v-10. If you want a real truck that can take some abuse and be able to haul and last forever and has unreal power. Dont listen to anybody elses imputs on fuel milage either as they get better mileage than most v-8 and they ride pretty nice too. They are kinda hard to find around here, but dont buy anything until you drive one, and dont let the salesman talk you into a diesel either. Otherwise you cant beat a toyota

3Razors
04-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I would be very leary of any of these new vehicles that have 8 cylinders and shut down 4 of them for fuel economy when needed. Give it about 50K miles and lots of expensive electrical/servo trouble ect. down the road. Same with all these new diesel engines the manufacturers are pushing. They are too small of an engine that is too highly strung with lots of electrical gadgetry...these engines are not putting out the long term high mileage and reliability former diesels were known for.

Mosh
04-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Doug the new hemi dodge has 16 spark plugs.That is right 16. and 16 wires.The plugs call to be changed every 30,000 miles.That is roughly about a 350 dollar job .I am not impressed with that.The Chevy 2500 you drove probably had the 4l80 trans in it.They consider it thier heavy duty trans.They suck up a lot of power with that tranny and that is probably why it felt doggish to you.The 1500 with the 5.3 litre is a good towing truck.At least for me it has been.Sucks up the gas though.You really cant beat these new Toyotas and stuff.They are just putting out nicer products.But repairs will be more expensive when needed.It is a hard decision to make.

DixiePlowboy
04-08-2007, 11:02 AM
I've always been a Ford person, but I don't really care for any of the current models of any brand...

The last full size truck that got me excited enough to almost buy, was a used '95 F-250 Powerstroke/5-speed with 36" Military Hummer take off's on it that a buddy sold for $5000 a year ago......and it was clean/average mileage. I absolutely loved to hear that turbo spool up and feel the torque.

Tri-ZNate
04-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Same with all these new diesel engines the manufacturers are pushing. They are too small of an engine that is too highly strung with lots of electrical gadgetry...these engines are not putting out the long term high mileage and reliability former diesels were known for.

They are even putting out less power and milage because of all the requirements of the EPA. the new diesels CANNOT blow black smoke, no matter what you do and then you clog up your dps filter and life goes to hell

xman23
04-08-2007, 11:08 AM
if you are going to get a 3/4 ton truck, I would reccomend getiing a diesal in it, otherwise the gas milage is just plain pathetic, we had one for our comapny and we got like 8mpg pulling a skid steer around, it was a 2003 chevy with the 6 ltr in it, now we have 2 diesals, a cummins and a powerstroke and they are somuch better, my dads personal truck is a chevy with the small 4.8 v-8, he got the lower 4.10 gears in it so it helps alot, this summer i wanna get a fullsize truck instead of my 2wd ranger

Billy Golightly
04-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Doug didn't mention diesel, so I'm not sure if its out of his price range but if its not I would most definitely look in that direction. I get between 23-26mpg with my truck on the open road.

Dammit!
04-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Definitely don't think I'm getting a diesel. The mileage you get is surprising to me Billy, because the listed mileage on the diesels I've seen at the dealerships were not even close to being that good. They weren't much better than the gas engines and diesel fuel out here always costs more than unleaded so it just doesn't make sense for me since I do so much city driving. Not all the gas stations around here have diesel which would end up pissing me off too. Not to mention they're more expensive to begin with. If I were planning to use the truck for more serious work/hauling though, I'd definitely be looking at them.

A 1/2 ton truck should suit my needs pretty well. The trailers I've been looking at are designed to be pulled by a half ton truck so any of them should work out ok there. That's why my main point of interest is how they drive in the city and all the amenities they come with. I'm still going to try the RAM 1500, Chevy 1500 and Ford F-150. I just don't like to leave any stones unturned. If I find more than one that would work for me, then I get to have fun pitting the dealers against each other on price. Gotta love doing that. :lol:

Billy Golightly
04-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah I'll admit I'm very lucky to get the mileage I am with my truck. If you talk with a few of the Dodge guys that runs the cummins you'll learn that the 03 trucks like mine have a history of getting the best fuel mileage out of any other of the older or even the newer ones. I didn't think a Diesel was in the cards for ya, but figured I'd mention it anyways just incase :)

team-red-rider
04-08-2007, 01:36 PM
if u dont HAVE to have a full size truck check out the Dodge Dakota ! or for a real truck get a RAM MEGA CAB lol those things have a cab teh size of our mini van LOL

Tri-ZNate
04-08-2007, 05:23 PM
You could always run Vegetable oil and make fuel free but thats another story ;)

SpeedBump
04-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Doug...Thanksgiving 05 my father bought a new 06 F250. Extended cab, 8' bed. It is a LOADED Lariat. The only thing is doesn't have...CD Changer and sunroof. It has the same engine as the Mustangs. 5.4 I believe. Pulls fine, but gotta keep the Rs up. Fuel milage...11.5-12.5mpg. He got a smoking deal on it...but didn't really like the dark gray/black trim. He is looking into selling/trading and getting a 2008. The truck has had a vibration from day one...I think it is the tires....but nobody can figure it out. While he was looking into the others...he checked the trade-in value. Very poor. New sticker price...$42000, got it for $35000. Trade-in with only 9k miles and not a flaw on the machine....$24,000 ish. Take the same Nissan or Toyota....a few thousand more. I have a Nissan Xterra, have owned it for about 5 years...change oil, good maint...no probs yet..(knockin on my desk) I have a friend who just got himself a sweet Toyota. If I were buying new...as much as I like the look of the Ford F250, I think I would still buy a Toyota or Nissan...leaning more towards the Toyota. If you are looking at the F150....ughh...one of the nastiest looking PUs imo. Flat out fugly and not even CLOSE to the others in appearances. Have fun lookin, testing and driving each machine and in the end...if ya buy...enjoy it. :w00t:

wheelie king
04-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Take the same Nissan or Toyota....a few thousand more. I have a Nissan Xterra, have owned it for about 5 years...change oil, good maint...no probs yet..(knockin on my desk) I have a friend who just got himself a sweet Toyota. If I were buying new...as much as I like the look of the Ford F250, I think I would still buy a Toyota or Nissan...leaning more towards the Toyota. If you are looking at the F150....ughh...one of the nastiest looking PUs imo. Flat out fugly and not even CLOSE to the others in appearances. Have fun lookin, testing and driving each machine and in the end...if ya buy...enjoy it. :w00t:

Exactly. relating to my earlier post...... I love my 2001 Xterra and have BEAT on it for over 6 years now since the day it was new.....with no problems other than the ones i brought on myself! For a half ton or smaller truck or SUV - Nissan and Toyota-- Just a better engineered machine- Period. That's my opinion of course!:D :D

Here's a couple of pics :pics: :pics: :pics: of mine after this weekend at the Ocala Ride (bikes still on the trailer)

nate b
04-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Doug...Thanksgiving 05 my father bought a new 06 F250. Extended cab, 8' bed. It is a LOADED Lariat. The only thing is doesn't have...CD Changer and sunroof. It has the same engine as the Mustangs. 5.4 I believe. Pulls fine, but gotta keep the Rs up. Fuel milage...11.5-12.5mpg. He got a smoking deal on it...but didn't really like the dark gray/black trim. He is looking into selling/trading and getting a 2008. The truck has had a vibration from day one...I think it is the tires....but nobody can figure it out. While he was looking into the others...he checked the trade-in value. Very poor. New sticker price...$42000, got it for $35000. Trade-in with only 9k miles and not a flaw on the machine....$24,000 ish. Take the same Nissan or Toyota....a few thousand more. I have a Nissan Xterra, have owned it for about 5 years...change oil, good maint...no probs yet..(knockin on my desk) I have a friend who just got himself a sweet Toyota. If I were buying new...as much as I like the look of the Ford F250, I think I would still buy a Toyota or Nissan...leaning more towards the Toyota. If you are looking at the F150....ughh...one of the nastiest looking PUs imo. Flat out fugly and not even CLOSE to the others in appearances. Have fun lookin, testing and driving each machine and in the end...if ya buy...enjoy it. :w00t:

for 600 bucks more he coulda had a v-10

wheelie king
04-08-2007, 09:14 PM
for 600 bucks more he coulda had a v-10

Unfortunately, the v-10 was not very popular for several reasons. Gas mileage was poor, but actually not that much worse than a v-8. Tourque was not that great to justify the weight and slightly greater gas consumption. And .......oh yeah.......people just did not buy them. In the end, you have to go with WHAT THE CONSUMER WANTS. They either stuck with the v-8 or went with a diesel. And Ford listened.

smokinwrench
04-08-2007, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=SpeedBump] The truck has had a vibration from day one...I think it is the tires....but nobody can figure it out. QUOTE]

I just got my second F550 both came new with General tires. Worst vibration you can ever imagine. Both trucks got new tires with under 10,000 miles on them. Fixed everything both drove perfect afterwards.

vegas250rr
04-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately, the v-10 was not very popular for several reasons. Gas mileage was poor, but actually not that much worse than a v-8. Tourque was not that great to justify the weight and slightly greater gas consumption. And .......oh yeah.......people just did not buy them. In the end, you have to go with WHAT THE CONSUMER WANTS. They either stuck with the v-8 or went with a diesel. And Ford listened.
we have a V10 in our family that gets about 7MPG while towing a tent trailer (8' closed) and the bed loaded with camping gear:cry: needless to say not impressed with that but... there is alot of torque. Also have a 00 ford F150, its everything I would ever need, extra cab, 4X4 and it gets 16-18 on the highway while towing a 4K lb. trailer. Not to shabby BTW, thats with the 5.6 Triton. Just my .02

team-red-rider
04-08-2007, 11:33 PM
HEy check out the HONDA RIDGELINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!11111

3Razors
04-09-2007, 12:13 AM
HEy check out the HONDA RIDGELINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!11111

Ya if you want a feminine yupee truck

Dammit!
04-09-2007, 02:26 AM
The Honda Ridgeline would have been very nice back when I had to drive clients around on a daily basis. I checked one of those out when they were first released. My manager at the time wanted to test drive one so I tagged along. They're actually pretty nice vehicles. Not a real truck though. More like a luxury car that can pretend to be a truck on the weekends. They get decent mileage, have pretty good power. They drive very well in the city. I'd rather have one of those than an SUV personally. Love the under the bed trunk. That's a pretty slick little idea. The stock trim is not very nice looking but there's a few options that give them a very slightly more aggressive look.

I need a real 1/2 ton truck though. I don't have to cart clients around nearly as much as I used to anymore so I wouldn't even consider something like a Ridgeline or any kind of SUV at this point.

darrel632
04-09-2007, 05:36 AM
the hilux 4.3 is supposed to be available (i doubt it) in North America next year, the model posted runs a 4.3 L diesel and gets 30+ MPG in the worst conditions I've ever seen.
The Land Rover Defender 130, is available as a grey market vehicle, turbo diesel, but very utilitarian- seats 6 in no comfort, poor air conditioning and very rough to ride in no rust though, the one pictured is at 535K and still going strong lighter than the hilux and floats on some pretty soft stuff.

Dammit!
04-12-2007, 02:41 AM
Question. How important do you think it REALLY is to have a fully boxed frame? Not all the 1/2 ton trucks have them. Some are fully boxed, others have a fully boxed section under the engine, reinforced C channel under the cab and open C channel under the bed. I know it seems like an obvious question where stronger is always better but is a fully boxed frame maybe overkill on a 1/2 ton?

Nick_R_23
04-12-2007, 03:05 AM
I need a real 1/2 ton truck though.

If your looking for a REAL 1/2 ton truck that still gets acceptable mileage, look at a 73-87 Chevy pickup. Its not new, but parts are a dime a dozen, they have great power, and the last 83 suburban 1/2 ton we had got 18 mpg with a 350 motor. Theres a ton of aftermarket parts for them too. And for what its worth, I think they look more like a real truck then what any company can come up with today. They got a lot more bed room too. They also still have a lot of todays luxuries like power doors, you can get power locks, alarm systems, lift kits, tires, axles, A/C, the list is endless. Plus they sound better then newer trucks.

Living in AZ, you should be able to find one pretty rust free too. I know that its not exactly what your looking for, but thats what Id do.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

smokinwrench
04-12-2007, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=Dammit!;484545]Question. How important do you think it REALLY is to have a fully boxed frame? QUOTE]

Not important at all. My F550 weighs in at 18,700 lbs. No boxed frame. I have had it stuck so bad that I have had to call in dozers to pull me out. Never had a bent frame or anything fail structurely.

I think Ford is selling the sizzle and not the steak on that commercial and anyone not truely informed will fall for it.

400exguy
04-12-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm working on buying an investment property first. I have access to some pretty incredible oppurtunities through my current broker but my credit is a little subpar. Fortunately, just about everything on my report that is hurting me is incorrect information. I hired a credit repair firm to get working on cleaning up my credit report, as well as taking some initiative to fix a few things myself. It's a pretty simple cleanup job. I just hope it has the impact I need on my FICO score within a reasonable time frame. Once I swing that deal, goodbye S10! :lol:

I have a 2005 Tundra Double Cab SR5 and love it to death. If I were you, I would go with the Crewmax. I just took one for a ride and fell totally inlove. The only thing Im suck on is if I am willing to give up my 6.5'' bed for the 5.5" but added room in the back seat? The way I see it is, the double cabs have more then enough room but I love the extra room for cargo, systems, ect...since the back seats move. Another thing that is holding me back is the near $50,000 ticket price of a fully loaded Limited, I just dont wanna pay that much a month for a truck. I know they would be willing to deal but still.

As for your credit score...if your going to finanace through Toyota you better get that fixed up or they will slap you with 8-9%. On the site the other day for good credit it was 8.9. When I got mine in 05, I got 6.8%. Seems like the higher class/nicer brands slap a higher rate on ya then chevy and ford? Just something I noticed.

J.D.
04-12-2007, 12:55 PM
As an auto technician here's my 2 cents: I've seen Chevy trucks up to 100K with no probs, tires brakes oil change out the door. Good power, reliable trucks. Fords....are nice(and I'm a Ford guy) but they're just not what they used to be. No major problems, just feel underpowered. Dodge, I wouldn't even consider one. That "Hemi" is a piece of *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, I've towed with them and am not impressed and even unloaded they are dogs. Brakes are constantly an issue if they get wet, they rust and the rotors fall apart. No way to go wrong with a Nissan, they have proven themselves with the Titans and they are damn good trucks. Not too sure about Toyotas, they've still got to prove themselves. My personal choice if I was going to buy one would be the Chevy.

Mr. Clean
04-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Brakes are constantly an issue if they get wet, they rust and the rotors fall apart.

This I have to see. I live in Florida and it rains alot and my rotors are still in one piece, Thank God! :wondering

I think this thread should be renamed bash Dodge.

I have driven a Chevy Silverado and it was not very solid feeling lots of vibrations. Still not a bad truck otherwise. I drove a Ford (my dads) and it is a nice truck. My boss has a Tundra and riding in it, I felt it was a nice truck. I have an 05 Ram 1500 quad cab and I have had no problems with it, contrary to what others say about them and I see alot of them on the road. I guess I got the only reliable one on the road. :Bounce

I have no idea what truck you should buy, look for factual information, as brand loyalty means nothing to me, and my screen name is "chevy.........." I would imagine you have at least gone to other Forums, like this one, and read up on threads about different brands. If not that is where I would go next.

To each their own.

3Razors
04-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I think the box frame is overkill but it is a nice luxury. For the last 50 or 60 years trucks havent had a boxed frame with no failures, but stronger is better and pretty soon all the manufacturers will probably be implementing it in their trucks.

200xcellent
04-12-2007, 03:51 PM
I have an 03 chevy z71 with 72,000 miles on it, ive run 33in tires on it over half its life and have pulled and towed with it and played a little too. So far heres what ive had to fix that was kinda major: new driveshaft at 36,000, a few new wheel bearings, all new breaks on the rear, new rearend (rotor to rotor), new u-joints, and countless alignment jobs. Motor wise it runs strong, but im not so sure i would buy another one, unless it was the duramax. So yes i like my chevy but i think there might be nicer out there.

Tri-ZNate
04-12-2007, 04:20 PM
This I have to see. I live in Florida and it rains alot and my rotors are still in one piece, Thank God! :wondering

ha ha southern vehicles are the ones to buy since most are rust free. Come up here to the salt zone where we get ice and snow as see the vehicles. Its damn near impossible to find any vehicles without rust that are over 5 years. I got my truck from a local and luckily it didnt see many road hours as the doors were rotting on the very bottoms with only 100,000 miles on it as it was. I rust proofed it and undercoated her so now it'll never rust. I would kill for rain all the time instead of the salt PENDOT and the other DOTs put down.

vegas250rr
04-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Question. How important do you think it REALLY is to have a fully boxed frame? Not all the 1/2 ton trucks have them. Some are fully boxed, others have a fully boxed section under the engine, reinforced C channel under the cab and open C channel under the bed. I know it seems like an obvious question where stronger is always better but is a fully boxed frame maybe overkill on a 1/2 ton?

well... for all those half ton trucks out there that were grossly overlaoded for years and now when they drive it around it looks like a taco.... the boxed frame might have been nice. just depends on what your gonna use yours for, sounds like your just gonna tow, and that means that all the weight would push the center of the frame up, which is fine, cause the weight of the truck itself would counteract virtually most anything you end up doing to it... if your looking to haul ALOT... get a stiffer truck, or the boxed frame... and for the guy with the F550... your comparing apples to oranges... the frame under your truck is like 3 of the frames on a half ton combined in one.
http://www.ssfire.com/News/images/5500-&-F550-Stock-Chassis.jpg

smokinwrench
04-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Very true on the frames but also mine wieghs 3 times as much.

As for the Chevy C5500 you posted I ran one of those also. Worst truck I have ever ran by far. Our company bought 3 of them at the same time and all of them are junk, problem is we are stuck with them until they are worn out.

SYKO
04-12-2007, 08:51 PM
well I jsut got rid of my 1999 f-250 turbo deisel wich I absolutly loved! that thing had monstorus power and got wicked gas millage, the downfall? it was a reg cab, and the fact that I dont need something to tow that heavy with, so I sold it and bought a 1997 f-150 x cab lariat 4.6 2wd for a song, well the first day I owned it I loaded it up with 7 atvs! (including a 16ft tandem) all kinds of gear for a weekend and 2 adults and 5 kids! towed 225 miles on a half tank at 75 mph! very impressed, I already knew that the 4.6 didnt make alot of tourque on the bottom end but after 60 it was flat out great! Im happy with my choice and dont plan on getting anything newer for awhile.

wanta250r
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
If your looking for a REAL 1/2 ton truck that still gets acceptable mileage, look at a 73-87 Chevy pickup.

Now thats what I'm talking about, love those trucks.

kb200x
04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
I have a 02 Avalanche that rides better than any of the previously mentioned trucks. IMHO The bed is a bit small but i can still get the 350x in with the tail gate down. It has a mid gate that can be dropped if you want to haul something bigger. For city driving I would think its one of the best driving trucks and rides like a car. Granted I don't have the 4x4 version but from talking with other who do it doesn't affect the ride. The look of it had to grow on me. I was not very fond of its looks but the ride and driving ability completly blew me away. Mine has the traction control system where if one wheel spins the other kicks in. For not being a 4x4 it does pretty damn good. I made it up mud hill at trike fest in the rain last year pulling a 16 foot trailer with 5 trikes. I have followed Ovhonda who has a new Titan many times pulling trailers that were similar in weight and length and he could walk off and leave me. My avalanche rides better but power wise the titan is a beast

My 2 cents :D

johnny's X
04-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I just test drove a 2007 chevy with a duramax and allison tranny. Now that s.o.b what a power house. It has automatic with manual shift, that was bad ass. push button shift. That thing had a 6" round pipe sticking out the back. The best thing about it was listening to it when you came to a stop, gotta love that disel.