PDA

View Full Version : Recon ES Warning

Blazin350X
04-29-2003, 10:17 PM
If any of you guy's have or are thinking of getting one of these bike.
Be aware of the fact this bike has no oil filter, all it has is a centrifigal filter in the case, which is only accessible by splitting the case.
My father found out the hard way that this machine needs it oil changed frequently more so than your average bike. He has a 2002 and from what I have found this goes back to at least 2000.
His starting smoking real bad at 8 month's old, so after talking to a Honda dealer mechanic and was informed about this motor needing it's oil changed frequently I figured well, it's probably why it started smoking.
I tore it down last weekend and what a mess, completely wiped out the cylinder, piston and wrist pin, but I discovered it wasn't caused by not changing the oil enough, the wrist pin clip on one side shattered in about 10-15 pieces allowing the wrist pin to slide to one side and to the point where it actually wedged itself at an angle in the piston pin bore real bad, smashed the oil ring land to the point it actually bent the oil ring scrapers. Besause of the piston going up and down the cylinder on an angle it cut grooves top and bottom of the cylinder real bad on the thrust sides. Probably just a freak thing, but I'm going to install a external spin-on type filter in one of the oil lines that go to the oil-cooler for some protection, kind of a stupid design in my opinion not to have a replaceable filter.[/b]