PDA

View Full Version : how to become a motorcrosser?

DarkestGKnight
04-15-2007, 07:59 PM
i have always wanted to become a motorcross racer, i am 17 i want to start racing when i get out of high school, how would i be able to become one, wat do i have to do?

Derrick Adams
04-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Buy a bike, some gloves and boots, and a good helmet. Then go to your local track for practice days! Don't ride above your abilities and keep practicing.

When you feel comfortable with most of the track enter a race in the slowest class and see how you do.

Good luck in your adventures. It's a whole lot of fun.

DarkestGKnight
04-15-2007, 08:23 PM
thank you, can i use my bike i have now, i have a 1987 suzuki sp125?

Cody
04-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Thats not a motocross bike, that is enduro. You will do better with somthin like a CR125, RM125, or YZ125. Being there 2 strokes, and I can almost bet that SP125 is 4 stroke, which even though can be fast as or faster then a 2 stroke, the 2 stroke is just flat out quicker.

oldskool83
04-16-2007, 01:57 PM
SP125 is a dualsport bike, its the same things as suzukis DR125/200se. your gonna need a bike with a mono shock and i would say a front disk break at least.

try these bikes on forsize, they are kinda cheap and will be fine for learning for a year until you'd be able to get somthing better. i love the older stuff, everything thinks they need a new bike to begin MX, if you just gonna do this for fun it dont matter how old your bike is, but just as long as its got a mono shock because jumping a dual shocker is nuts.

here are some good bikes.

1984+ cr125
1985+yz125
1986+rm125
1984+kx125

the newer you go does not always mean the more expensive, somthings never ones are not beat as much but watch out for any bike thats not been taken care of. for 700-1000 should get you a mechanicaly sound older 125 MX bike.

TimSr
04-16-2007, 08:52 PM
First learn the word "MOTOCROSS"! "Motorcross" is when you put a Yamaha engine in a Honda. "Motocross" is a type of racing.

Then find a local track near you. Then go, and watch as a spectator. Observe, and learn. Then see what classes they run. Then decide if your bike can be competitive in any of the classes they offer. The find out when they have open practice days, and practice. Then show up on race day, sign up, and have fun.

If your bike wont cut it in MX, also look at cross country racing and harescrambles. I can tell you first hand that soem of the dual sport bikes can be an advantage in some cross country type races.

DarkestGKnight
04-16-2007, 09:46 PM
well i was looking at a couple of 2 strokes kx's and cr125 i like cr's i might buy one and start racing thanks for the help. and my sp does have disk brakes i put them on.

smokinwrench
04-16-2007, 10:39 PM
I prefer harescrambles over MX anyday. Harescrambles are long races of 1-3 hours nonstop. Race through the local terain with a track that is 3-7 miles long. Harescrambles have a few jumps but nothing huge, its the endurance and technical stuff I prefer about harescrambles.

traxxasx
04-20-2007, 03:38 AM
well i was looking at a couple of 2 strokes kx's and cr125 i like cr's i might buy one and start racing thanks for the help. and my sp does have disk brakes i put them on.

I hope that is not you in your avatar. SERIOUSLY THOUGH! Black lip stick OH GOD>

Yea u want to go with either a ktm125,cr125,kx125,rm125.

icp4life162005
04-20-2007, 09:56 AM
HAHA He's EMO, its cool though 'cause your a triker!

favorite saying ever 'My lawn is EMO, so it cuts itself!' haha i love that :)

Good luck in your quest, and KX's kick @$$

traxxasx
04-20-2007, 04:30 PM
HAHA He's EMO, its cool though 'cause your a triker!

favorite saying ever 'My lawn is EMO, so it cuts itself!' haha i love that :)

Good luck in your quest, and KX's kick @$$

no it goes i wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.

Cody
04-20-2007, 09:43 PM
no it goes i wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.

There you go. :beer

RedRider_AK
04-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Mmmm emo kids. Perfect roost targets...

DarkestGKnight
04-20-2007, 10:23 PM
its called gothic and not all goths cut them selves i dont. please dont call me emo and yes thats me in the avatar.

icp4life162005
04-21-2007, 12:02 AM
I was not insinuating that you cut yourself, but from your picture, you seem like the most Unlikely MX rider. Really all 'Gothic' is anymore, is the over mainstream glorification of introverted and more personal post punk/punk rock. I was like you once, but I 'woke up' one day and realized 'Where in life is this going to get me' my answer was absolutely no where. So out the door that went, but I try to wear black as much as I can, not because I am 'Gothic' or 'Emo', but because I love black. As with all of this, I am really trying not to be offensive, but if you would show up at a track with a spiked dog collar on you would... I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to get at here. I am not meaning this to be offensive at all and I am deeply sorry if you take it as such. So on to lighter things, hows the bike hunt coming along? Have you made it to a track or trail with whoops and what not yet to practice? Good luck!

DarkestGKnight
04-21-2007, 10:36 AM
no its ok i kno u guys didnt mean i cut myself i like the way i dress, but yeah acutally im looking at a cr125. um i didnt get to get to a track yet casue ive been busy but this summer i am deff getting there

Greiver430x
04-21-2007, 02:30 PM
What year cr are you lookin at, I would definetly try to get a bike with good suspension though. Anyone correct me if im wrong sometimes suspension rebuilds are more expensive than a complete motor rebuild. Also jumping a bike with a bad monoshock = scary, just some thing to consider.If you can try to find like a 89-91 rm 125 they were good years for those bikes, inverted forks and all. The guy i sold my 90 rm250 to can keep up with and beat a 05 cr 250 on take off, and the rm is geared high. Alot of nice older bikes out there just gotta look for them and find the best one for your needs. Good luck let us know how it goes.:cool: