PDA

View Full Version : READ! Insurance not paying for ATV accidents

ScottZJ
04-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I saw this post on a dirt bike forum and thought I should post it here too as it effects all OHV riders.

There is a loophole in a federal law that allows insurance companies to deny payments to those injured while engaged in "risky" sports. The insurance company decides what's risky - dirtbikes, skiing, scuba diving, etc.

The AMA is trying to get legislation passed to close the loophole. Take a minute (or less) to fill out a form that will be sent out to your senators.

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=9408876
American Motorcyclist Association - ACTION ALERT - WRITE NOW - SENATE INTRODUCES HEALTH INSURANCE BILL FOR MOTORCYCLISTS!

Send one to your Representative while you're at it.
http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=9408831
American Motorcyclist Association - ACTION ALERT - WRITE NOW - HOUSE INTRODUCES HEALTH INSURANCE BILL FOR MOTORCYCLISTS!

Billy Golightly
04-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Yep and heres another little tidbit of information I bet no one knew.

If you are riding at your grandmas house and break a leg (or heaven forbid something more serious like a spinal cord or head injury) the insurance companies have COMPLETE AUTHORITY to sue you the land owner (grandma) without your "consent" or permission in order to recover their costs for paying your medical expenses. And this is with ANY type of injury no matter what. When you sign the insurance policy your giving full authorization to them to recover whatever costs they might incur via suing a land owner or other "responsible" party.

dreadhed
04-16-2007, 08:11 PM

If you are riding at your grandmas house and break a leg (or heaven forbid something more serious like a spinal cord or head injury) the insurance companies have COMPLETE AUTHORITY to sue you the land owner (grandma) without your "consent" or permission in order to recover their costs for paying your medical expenses. And this is with ANY type of injury no matter what. When you sign the insurance policy your giving full authorization to them to recover whatever costs they might incur via suing a land owner or other "responsible" party.

I knew that.:D :D ...It's the damn lawyers & insurance companies, they screw who they can when they can.

Orangecnty250r
04-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Man thats just absurd!!!!

smokinwrench
04-16-2007, 10:42 PM
I have seen it happen here. Guy I work with was airing up a wheelbarrow tire at his dads house. The plastic wheel exploded and he lost his eye. The insurenece company was sueing his dad until somehow he got it stopped.

250rAL
04-17-2007, 09:29 AM
When ever you have any kind of minor accident, the insurance company sends a questionaire to find out what happened and where. My wife walked into the open car door in the garage and hurt her nose. When insurance found out it involved the car, my car insurance had to pay it! The car was just sitting in the garage not even running. I couldn't believe it.

ATC-Eric
04-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Why do you even carry the insurance if the dang insurance company is going to sue you for it in the end? None of it makes any sense.

3 weelin geezer
04-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Its just a way to make people feel safe. Here, have another blindfold.

dirtdog
04-18-2007, 12:45 AM
My old insurance company,that did not cover risky sports like riding and sking, thought I was super clumsy falling off of a ladder as many times that I did:lol:

3 weelin geezer
04-18-2007, 11:00 AM
I hope it was at that last step a the bottom. I have missed it a few times thinking I was already on the ground and.....PLUGH! <Gets back up> Shut up, I meant to do that. I was trying to be funny. http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/3_weelin_geezer/smileys/embarass.gif

The big question is: Are you required to have insurance on it to get registration if that applies to you? What a rip off!

dirtdog
04-19-2007, 12:53 AM
never really fell off of a ladder, but that is what I had to tell them twice after crashing my bike.But I have stepped off of the second step thinking I was at the ground and fell on my *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*.somthing to do with captain morgan and cleaning rain gutters:lol: