PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank

LukeDukem
04-19-2007, 08:39 AM
I just joined yesterday so i'm new to this. My question is 'How do i clean the inside of my gas tank real good? Its on a '84 honda 200x. And how can i refinish the outside or should i just have someone paint it. :wondering (p.s. i just got this trike and its been sitting in a shop for a while

danteross77
04-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the site!! This probably is in the wrong section, but to answer your question a local radiator shop can clean and pressure test that tank for you, or if you are a do it yourself kind of guy go to your local pool supply and buy some Muratic acid and clean it your self and seal it with a product called Red Coat. You can also search the site there are several more detailed threads on the subject. Good luck and welcome once again. By the way were in Texas are you?

LukeDukem
04-19-2007, 08:51 AM
thanks for the welcome. i"m in victoria. yeh i saw some other threads but it was after i posted mine. were you from.

Russell 350X
04-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Welcome. To clean the inside of the tank i have taken kerosene with some nuts and bolts, put it in there and shake it around. Dennis Kirk does sell a product called Kreem. Its a kit that comes with a tank cleaner and a sealer. For the outside of the tank, sandpaper it and paint it.

LukeDukem
04-19-2007, 11:40 AM
thanks. do you know were to find the oem paint specs?

84honda200s
04-19-2007, 01:05 PM
rustiolium makes a red paint that matches the honda red. i forgot the name but i have a can around here someplace. when i find it i will post the name. as far as white paint i have no idea. by the way welcome to 3ww. we will also be needing some pictures of the x .

LukeDukem
04-19-2007, 01:19 PM
i'll try to get pics of my X for everyone to see, and a little story behind it. the color i need is for the tank, and ya its white. thanks

mopar_man
04-19-2007, 01:40 PM
A friend of mine used POR15's fuel tank sealer kit on his old Chrysler. His removed the empty tank, stuck an air line from a compressor into the tank and let it blow for 15 minutes. He let it dry further overnight and stuck a 2 ft. length of logging chain into the tank (obviously something less heavy for an ATV tank). He danced around with the tank and ended up with 2 cups of rust powder. The kit comes with a marine wash. You put it in the tank and rotate every few hours. Rinse & repeat. The sealer goes in next but the tank has to be absolutely dry. It also takes 5 days to cure. He did that over 3 years ago and it's still good.

Cycle tank repair kit. $35 (http://www.por15.com/Cycle-Tank-Repair-Kit)

Heavy duty cycle tank repair kit. $41 (http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1517/.f) (For those that used a failed tank sealing system).

LukeDukem
04-19-2007, 02:13 PM
thanks for the tip mopar_man. when you said he danced around with the tank was it a slow dance, cause down here we got the texas two step, maybe a line dance.........just kidding. i'll look into the POR15, sounds like what i need, thanks again