PDA

View Full Version : I Lost The Key To My 250ex

yamaha125trimoto
04-30-2003, 07:52 PM
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW I CAN MAKE IT RUN I CALLED HONDA AND THEY SAYD I HAD TO BUY A WHOLE IGNITION AND THAT COSTS LIKE 50 BUCKS AND I DONT WANT TO SPEND THAT KIND OF CASH IF I CAN GO WITHOUT IT I ALLWAYS TAKE THE CDI ANYWAYS WELL IR YOU KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM LET ME KNOW

THANKS
SEAN

atc86r
04-30-2003, 07:57 PM
i have 2 keys. i'll look into tomorrow its raining here to much. shouldn't be to difficult. good luck.

plkmonster2
04-30-2003, 07:57 PM
there are 2 big wires in the ignition, you need to cut, and connect them. i took the ignition from my moto scooter to the honda shop and they had the key there. it was only $3 :-D

YTZ250#1
04-30-2003, 08:30 PM
if you pull the ignition out and take it to a good locksmith,they should be
able to make a key.I cant beleave that you can't get one from the dealer.
they should be able to make a key from the vin# or the # on the ignition
it self.

CHAD-98
04-30-2003, 09:51 PM
A friend of mine lost his key for his 86 honda 200 (quad). He took the ignition switch to the dealer, and they made him a key on the spot. ($6) By using the numbers on the switch. I would call another dealer, because I bet it would work the same with a trike.

Dave

yamaha125trimoto
04-30-2003, 11:11 PM
well i would do that but unfortunately i live way up in the mountains and we dont have a lock smith and i dont go out of town very often and its like 5 hours to the closest honda dealer and i need to by-pass the ignition can u help me ????

mymint87
05-01-2003, 12:01 AM
why grenade an ignition on your toy for 50 bucks....go spend the money and keep your toy fresh?....whats the prob?..is it stolen?...anyone missing an EX?

sfynks
05-01-2003, 12:09 AM
sounds like the dealer is just trying to juice you ......just a thought :?

CHAD-98
05-01-2003, 08:01 AM
Depnding on how it is wired, you can bypass it.

If there is 2 wires on the switch. Use a meter and check for contunity (ohms) If it reads open, it is a n.o. switch (connect the two wires together) and it will run.

If it reads closed (0) Then it is a grounded switch, and you have to ground one of the two wires to the frame for it to work. (Yamaha uses these)

Use the meter to the metal frame on each wire, one will be grounded already, the other will not. Ground the wire that is not grounded, and she will run. Tape up the other wire.

Let me know if it works....

Dave

TimSr
05-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Im with my Mymint87 on this one. Why would somebody want to do a hack job on a relatively new quad? A dealer can provide you with a key based on the SN# or number on the switch (not sure which one Honda requires), but they will require proof of ownership such as a title, and if you are too far away from a dealer, it can be done my mail. There are probably a million Honda dealers in the US.

CHAD-98
05-01-2003, 09:26 AM
I agree with you, no one wants a hack job. But not everyone has $50 laying around to put into their bike.
All wires have quick disconnects, if you have the right terminals you can temporarily rewire it. And when you save up $50, fix it the right way.

Just an idea....

Dave

mymint87
05-01-2003, 11:31 PM
this MAY be an innocent question or post but im sorry to say,"i don't think anyone who respects this board would tell someone how to "hot wire" a quad".....listen to me 3WW members, always try to give sound advice to the best of your abilities...thats all....try NOT bring down what howdy, hondaatc, mr atc, and so many others (sorry if i didn't mention your name) have built here...

3WW.COM WILL SURVIVE

mymint87
05-01-2003, 11:36 PM
don't take offense CHAD-98 i dont mean anything personal..please think and learn from mistakes and go forward... :)

CHAD-98
05-02-2003, 07:17 AM
Hey,
O.K. I saw that question as being innocent. I didn't even consider it might be stolen. Because the same thing happened to me. I was just trying to help him out. And if it is stolen, I feel like a real trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro.
Point Taken...

Dave

TimSr
05-02-2003, 09:29 AM
That was my point, not so much about a hack job on new quad, as why somebody who could prove ownership would not just get a key from for under $10. I guess the question immediately struck a nerve in that the first thing they screwed up on mine when it was stolen was cutting up the ignition wires. Here is a wiring diagram for you.
http://home.neo.rr.com/timtim/trx2504red.jpg

If you can email me a scan of the title and some ID so I know you are the rightful owner I will explain how to hotwire it.

Z250blues
05-18-2003, 02:35 PM
It doesn't make sence that the dealer can't get you a key. It's a new quad right? The keys for Hondas, at least newer ones that I know of, have a number ingraved on the key. That number will get you a new key from Honda. Try looking on your bill of sale to see if there is a Keyset number on it. For example my 400ex say C16
Good luck.

YTZ250#1
05-18-2003, 09:12 PM
HEY MAN!! MY 400EX KEY SAID C16 BEFORE SOMEONE STOLD MY QUAD. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Just kidding,I have no clue what # was on the key but it was in it(stupid me)just thought I would mess with ya. I do know the vin. # so if you
just bought a 01 with mods make sure the last 4#'s are'nt 1911. peace

Z250blues
05-19-2003, 03:28 AM
LMAO...
It is an 01, but I bought her off the show-room floor.
Sorry bout your quad dude. For the moment, I can't think of anything worse than some trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro stealing my quad.... I'm still paying for her.

If you ever find the punk with your ride, let me know. I'd be happy to stop by with my 400 and We can have a tug-a-war with the dirty theif! :twisted:

YTZ250#1
05-19-2003, 07:42 AM
THANKS I'll hold you to that tug a war if I ever find the punka$$ that took
it.I had $10,000 in it and it was set up for mx,Also still PAYING for it.
what can I say? I'm generous with my money.I built a nice quad for someone else to ride :evil: :evil: