PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Tires

BigGreenMachine
04-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Anyone ship tires? I was wondering if you can ship them with just a addy on them and no packaging? Will USPS take them like that? How much to ship say from Austin to Newfoundland Canada?

BigGreenMachine
04-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Someone must have had tires shipped to them? Or shipped them themselves?

chris200x
04-23-2007, 02:48 PM
I've had tires shipped to me wrapped in shrink wrap. I've also seen them banded together with those plastic straps.

I'd imagine shipping them internationally would be a bit pricey.. Two average sized tires shipped across country here would run about $30-$40 I'd imagine..

Why not weight them them and use the shipping calculator on the usps website. I know UPS chargers an extra $5 for things shipped without a cardboard box... not sure about the post office though.

oldskool83
04-23-2007, 02:59 PM
the trikes i got over the weekend where shipped to a guy in boxes, one boxes had tires mounted on rims. as long as you box what ever you want to ship they ship it.

ATC-Eric
04-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Ive shipped tires just taped together. They had two rings of tape on them, just enough to hold them together. I got the idea when I recieved tires like that. Then you just stick a label to them.

BigGreenMachine
04-23-2007, 04:51 PM
I don't have the tires. I'm looking at cheap new tires on ebay and need to get them to NL Canada from my bro's in Austin.

Mosh
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
If they are just tires,Use some clear packing tape and tape them together stacked.Then wrap them with plastic and more clear tape.Slap a lable on and your fine.We have shipped tires and wheels to Canada and it was 38 bucks with the tires mounted on the rims.They got held up in customs to make sure we were not smuggling stuff in em.lol

BigGreenMachine
04-23-2007, 06:47 PM
$38 shipped through who Mosh?

SYKO
04-23-2007, 07:16 PM
usps ships into canada cheap! I have sent probably 100lbs in stuff (not at th same time) to darral 632 In alberta and probably never charges him more than 60 for all of it! and he said he got them in a reasonable amount of time.

RoscoW
04-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't ship with UPS or the other big carriers over the border, The shipping isn't to bad it's the customs brokerage fees they don't quote you that will remove the paper from the wallet. I havn't tried USPS yet but I heard they don't have the brokerage fees , I'd still look into it though. For the rest of the Canucks, if you are near the border you can have stuff shipped to the nearest UPS store in the states and pick it up there for a very small fee. I sent a seat to Mrs Moshman and it was going to cost over $ 80 to ship from London to Ohio. I drove to the Port Huron UPS store and it was $13. The Hemi isn't that thirsty so you know where I shipped from..

Ross..

BigGreenMachine
04-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Yeah I've dealt with UPS before. USPS is the lesser of two evils so to speak.

TimSr
04-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Use USPS over the border. UPS shipping prices are competitive, but Canadians get hammered through customs when using UPS.

Also, Everyone needs to be aware that UPS and Fedex do add an additional charge for "irregular packaging" when shipping anywhere. They will be happy to take them shrink wrapped, but youll pay an extra $5 for it.

I dont know USPS policies on this.

BigGreenMachine
04-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks Tim. I know all about the charges. I've been using USPS a lot for parts and have avoided all the extra charges. I know my bud uses UPS and gets hammered each time he gets a package in. We run the post office here.

Bought tires last night and found a shorter/lighter front tire at Princess Auto for cheap that looks like it'll work well.

Thanks again for the tip on the forks, it rides much smoother now, less chop.