PDA

View Full Version : 200x vs 200 blaster

Yamaha_Rules69
04-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Which would win in a motocross track race (with jumps, woops, etc) if both riders were equal The 1985 200x, or the 2003 blaster? Both are stock. I am asking this because I want to eventually enter the motocross this year on my 200x, and hope to race in a 200cc class. It comes around every year when the fair comes to my town. Last year I saw a trike rider racing, and it looked really fun. I think it may have been a 250R, but he wasnt very aggressive out there. I hope to show those blaster riders up. Tell me what you think. Thanx.

lisnup65
04-30-2003, 10:06 PM
I would say that the Blaster would eat the 200X apart. I just sold a near mint condition 1985 200X an got a 2003 Blaster. The Blaster is easily the quicker machine, esp if you keep the RPM's up. The suspension is good, it just need a more aggressive stance. I loved the 200X, but I find myself with a much larger smile after riding the Blaster. I just order new rear tires and rims, protection armor, exhaust, K&N. and a jet kit for it. It should come alive now as I finally have 3 tanks of fuel and around 15 hours ride time on it. The Blue Marble oil goes in on Friday also.

200xer
04-30-2003, 10:40 PM
4 wheels is easier to ride faster than 3. A 200cc 2 stroke is faster than a 200cc 4 stroke. Looks like the blaster has the edge. BUT MX puts a lot on the driver, so rip it up and make some dudes on blasters cry ;)

razorsgd
05-01-2003, 04:53 PM
I have actually raced my slighly modified 200x against a buddys slightly modified Blaster out at Glamis, up Competition hill. If neither one of us missed a shift and he was able to stay on the top end, he would beat me by about a bike length. Now, if he missed a shift or couldn't stay on the top end, the race was for the most part even, with me edging him out. The 4-stroke 200x just couldn't completely beat the 2-stroke Blaster. Fun races though!
The 200x was an '85 and had a mild cam and Supertrapp on it. (since been sold)
The Blaster was an early '90s model and had an FMF pipe and exhaust.
There was also about a 40 lb. weight difference as well, Blaster rider being heavier.

TimSr
05-01-2003, 05:37 PM
I have a friend who was running MX on his 200x. One of the last holdouts! He was running in the Blaster class, and he is a way above average rider. His 200x had about every high performance trick gizmo you could find. He was finishing normally in the last third or forth of the pack.

He finally got a 400EX a couple years ago, and started running the open 4 stroke class and immediately started consistantly finishing as one of the top 3 riders.

I have no doubt that a super rider on a 200x is still at a great disadvantge to a mediocre rider on a Blaster. Ill also add that Im a fairly decent MXer on my TriZ but could still run faster lap times on a Blaster.

My advice, though, is DO IT! and have fun. Its a blast, and the other riders will have great respect for you coming and competing with your 200X. How you place isnt nearly as important as having done it. I could easily do much better on my TRX250R, but still choose to run my Z at fair races for the sheer joy of it. Im usually not finishing last, but am certainly in that section of the pack, and still find it more satisfying than finishing in the front half on my R.

Yamaha_Rules69
05-01-2003, 06:37 PM
I'll have to give it a try. Im putting a 185s engine in the X, and putting on a 200x cylinder and head in as well as the 200x carb of course. Will this engine have less power than the original 200x engine? Will not having the hand clutch make a big diffrence in a bad way? I'm also thinking on either getting a DG exhaust, or FMF pipe to put on it. What is the best pipe in your opinion? Thanx.

wanta250r
05-01-2003, 06:45 PM
no clutch will hurt you ?