PDA

View Full Version : need help quick please

hondaracer11
04-27-2007, 06:47 PM
i know this is a quad but i need help fast im rebuilding my moter on my 86 lt250r and i took the jug off and the piston looks fine but how do i know for sure also the rings are really loose does this meen i can just put new rings on and last how do i know the bore the last number on the piston is 50 so is that the bore any help would be great like i said im in a hurry to get it done:wondering

ATC-Eric
04-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Can you see the cross hatch in the cylinder? If its smooth and glazed, you need to hone, maybe even bore.

On the piston, check for scuffs all over. If there are any scuffs, it will give you a good idea as to wheither you need to replace, or look for more problems. If its okay, and the jug is in good shape, slap some rings back on it and ride!

You say the rings are really loose? Do you mean while its in the jug, or in your hand. They have to be compressed against the piston to put it into the jug. They are designed to press against you cylinder when its in.

How did it run before? Why did you take it apart?

Theres a code on top of your piston, type that into yahoo search engine for a quick refference to see how big you piston is.

hondaracer11
04-27-2007, 07:08 PM
it would not idle and it was a hog to start and it just dint feel like there was compression the piston looks fine the the cylander looks smooth and i looked at the reeds and they are fine

ATC-Eric
04-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Your cylinder shouldnt be smooth, it needs cross hatching to get the proper amount of lube. This can be done with a flex hone, or a glaze bracker.

InPiEcEs
04-27-2007, 07:49 PM
If it's lacking compression, it's probably time for a bore.
The 50 on top of the piston is 0.50 mm, or about .040" over.
Best thing to do is bring it to a shop you trust and have them measure it for you.

hondaracer11
04-27-2007, 08:27 PM
thanks for all the help im bringing i to auto zone

ATC-Eric
04-27-2007, 11:39 PM
I had a guy at Orielys help me out a ton! Tell them to bust out the micrometer.