PDA

View Full Version : How to boost FM radio reception?

Billy Golightly
04-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Ok so theres this great station I like to listen to. Sometimes I can get it, most of the time I can't. I can get it pretty decently in the shop most of the time, hardly ever in my truck, and never here at the house. What kind of options do I have for constructing my own boosted FM radio antenna, or something that will allow me to get better reception?

KASEY
04-30-2007, 07:56 PM
do they have a web cast? maybe you can get them online,,,,,,,,,,

Billy Golightly
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Dang, never thought of that! I just checked, it looks like they have a live broadcast on their site from 12:00PM to 8:00PM. That covers a couple of the shows I want to hear but not all of them. Thats definitely better then nothing though, Thanks!

fatcat
04-30-2007, 08:41 PM
they make fm boosters for cars you should look at an auto parts store. if you find some get one that is of good qualty or you will make the signal worse.

gravelord
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
OK - you didnt tell us if you have some kinda crappy boom box - well thatd leave you with no option. but if you have a regular reciever with antenna outputs, here is what i did that worked quite well...... 1st off....... make sure there isnt radio interferrance near your radio. it sounds stupid, but thats the first big mistake. the closer to your home computer your FM radio reciever is - the worst reception youll get!!!! computers destroy reception! SECONDLY..... a good antenna. it sound silly but heres what worked best for me. i ran a LONG peice of thin insulated wire from my radio reciever up my wall, and it squared around my room, on my ceiling. just one lap around the room. thats how i mounted the wire. make sure its thin, thin wire picks up best. the thinnest rubber coated wire you can get at radio shack will do. make sure its not "copper coated" crap that you cant strip the coating off of. and make sure its thick enough you can work with the stripped wire. but make sure its not too thick. thats my best advice, follow that advice and i garuntee good reception - seriously though those are the BEST two peices of advice youll get on this board. there is no such thing that i know of as a booster for any sort of broadcast recieving. there are the fake ones you can get though with two volume knobs and stuff - its all BS.

vegas250rr
05-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I remember camping one year and we ran a wire from our antenna, to a large nut, which we then placed in a coffee can on the ground outside our motorhome.... and presto, we got radio. The only detail I cant remember was wether we were listening to AM or FM... but Its worth a try either way

atctim
05-08-2007, 08:49 AM
hook it to a roof top antenna if you have one on your property.

Serious Tim
05-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Find something called a BIC Beam Box on eBay. You won't believe the results.

gravelord
05-12-2007, 11:24 AM
outside antenna for televisions wont work. thin copper wire picks up radio signals better. the wire going to that antenna is too thick, and the antennas steel, its just too much, antennas are very low voltage in them, but i believe there is a small voltage, and it doesnt travel well through ALOT of metal, copper is a very good conductor and if its thin, it can cover alot of area. thats your best bet.

Dammit!
05-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Just remember higher is better. If you did gravelord's idea but in the attic instead of a room inside the house it would work better.