PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my mower.

super90
05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Alright so I get halfway done mowing the grass and stop to get a drink. Come back out 5 mins later and start the tractor up. It Revs up higher than normal, then shuts off within 10 seconds. And the engine seems to be running very hot. The exhaust gets extremely hot within the first minute of running now and i've never noticed this before. The engine is a Kohler 20hp V-twin DOHC. Any help would be appreciated.

Nick_R_23
05-03-2007, 03:39 PM
If its getting really hot, did you run it out of oil?

-Nick :TrikesOwn

84honda200s
05-03-2007, 03:57 PM
do an oil change. it quiting sounds like censors or coils/coil.

Nick_R_23
05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
You know what, now that I think about it, dont those motors have a low oil shutoff switch/sensor?

-Nick :TrikesOwn

ccdhowell
05-03-2007, 07:56 PM
If it was really hot, it may have vapor locked. Gas in the fuel line turns to vapor and creates a vapor lock in the fuel line that the fuel pump can't push through. If this is it, let it cool, put a little gas in the carb and fire it up. The fuel pump should then be able to pump fuel again.

Dirtcrasher
05-03-2007, 08:34 PM
That is definately a LEAN condition. It revs high - just like when you run out of gas sometimes - and lean causes extreme temperatures. Most likely you stirred up some gunk and something is partially plugged up. Clean the carb, make sure to remove the jets and clean them perfect and check any fuel filters or strainers inline or in the tank itself. It's a good idea to have an inline filter in the feed tube to the carb.....

super90
05-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Problem solved, It was a simple air leak around the carburetor! I completely forgot about checking to see if it was tight. The engine somehow rattled loose the 2 nuts holding it on. After taking everything apart I saw that it was drawing in air around the manifold. Well thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

longbedGTs
05-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Damn, I was gonna pull the 'Carl Childers' card and say 'It got no gas, mhhhmm'
http://www.billybobthornton.net/film_slingblade.gif