PDA

View Full Version : LT80 carb giving me the middle finger, help plz

RedRider_AK
05-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Hey all. I've fixed everything on my LT80 project, it's in great shape now. I have been having a problem with the engine, however. It idles great, and the low end is decent, but whenever I give it continuous throttle over 1/2, it begins to stall (sounds like hesitation or something) and stays at 1/2 throttle. I can give it a burst of wide open, for maybe a second or two, and then it starts stalling out again. I do not like this because it doesn't let the machine develop any good amount of speed, so cruising around town on it gets annoying at 15 mph.

I have done a LOT of stuff to combat this problem, adjusted the needle up 2 clicks (first one click, didn't feel a difference, then another, still makes no difference), I have cleaned the jets (pilot and main), and have drained the float bowl 3 or 4 times. The float isn't adjustable, so I can't mess with that. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Before I forget, the machine has an FMF Fatty pipe, stock everything else, and a 92.5 main jet.

RedRider_AK
05-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Any help? Please?

smokinwrench
05-05-2007, 04:17 AM
That is the stock mj size. If your sure everything in the carb is clean I say go upto a 100mj.

Have you removed the belt and inspected the front and rear drives? I wonder if your rollers in the front drive could be flat?

RedRider_AK
05-05-2007, 03:13 PM
That is the stock mj size. If your sure everything in the carb is clean I say go upto a 100mj.

Have you removed the belt and inspected the front and rear drives? I wonder if your rollers in the front drive could be flat?

The Midwest Mini site claims that if you get the FMF Fatty pipe, you don't need to rejet.

Also, I put the stock pipe on it a while back, and it did the same thing.

As for new jets, where can I get them? We don't have a Suzuki dealership in town, and I don't really want to order from Fairbanks or Anchorage purely for a baggie of jets, the shipping will probably be more than the product themselves. I will if I have to, though.

I haven't pulled the cover off the tranny as of yet, if I really, really have to, I will, though. It doesn't seem like a transmission problem though, because every once in a while it will pull wide open, and I get a burst of speed, but then it starts sputtering again.

SYKO
05-05-2007, 04:26 PM
soundz to me like a typical 2 stroke fouled plug, my gfs balster will foul one every now and then it will idle all day long but when you give it gas it would bog down and eventually shut off, start it up and idle again no prob. heck your plug, and even if its brand new it could be toasted all ready

RedRider_AK
05-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I haven't checked the plug in forever! How could I miss that?! I'm a retard apparently. Thanks Syko, I'll check it asap!

EDIT: Checked the plug, it was brown and some carbon deposits on it, so I swapped it for a fresh one. No difference, it still sputters at full throttle. I'm friggin' confused.

SYKO
05-05-2007, 08:47 PM
ok dosnt the lt80 have reeds?? check to see if there cracked and junk it may also be the stator on its way out, I jst had my stator on my big red es go out like that, it would sputter like it was missing and finaly it went out.

RedRider_AK
05-05-2007, 08:48 PM
ok dosnt the lt80 have reeds?? check to see if there cracked and junk it may also be the stator on its way out, I jst had my stator on my big red es go out like that, it would sputter like it was missing and finaly it went out.

All right, I was personally thinking reeds might be going out. I have a whole nother LT80 bottom end/transmission, so if it's reeds I have another set, and I also have another stator if it's the stator. Thanks again.

EDIT: Does anyone know a secret trick to pulling off the reed cage on the LT80? I tried unsuccessfully to use a screwdriver, which came close to stripping the factory bolts. Then I used a set of channel-lock pliers on the top two, but the bottom ones are blocked by the engine case and starter, so the channel-locks won't work. I don't have any vise-grips either.

skippy
05-06-2007, 11:31 AM
get on exriders.com and ask lt80.. he is a master on the 80's!

okieRrider
05-07-2007, 10:28 PM
i bet ya a dollar it is the rollers in the front clutch, pull the side case off and remove the front clutch and look at it. The only rollers I believe you can use and that I have used is stock suzuki ones. When you do this only put 4 of the 6 back in each across from each other ( it'll be obvious ). Anyways the reeds could be a problem also, they are metal and do crack. I would change them anyways seeing as your going that route cause if they do break it will be top end time.