PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Toyota MR2 Guru's

ATC-Eric
05-18-2007, 12:21 AM
My brother just did an engine swap from a Gen 2 to a Gen 3 on his 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

He had to install a the Gen 3 wiring harness on his Gen 2 car. He has had many problems with grounds, and lights, and other issues. He has the manuals, but is tired of the trial and error; he is willing to pay just to get the job done.

This is a call out for anyone in the St. Louis area who is interested in makeing a bit of cash, food, and beer to help him get his car wired correctly. No nickel and diming here, he will pay good money.

We have plenty of space for a visitor if an overnight is required.

If anyone out there knows whats up, and is willing to make a little cash hit me up.

Thanks.

ScottZJ
05-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Now when he did the wiring swap, did he just do the wires? Or did he replace the ECU, computer and regulator? Most likely that was changed and he will need to have those parts to accompany the wiring harness.....just a thought.

Yamada
05-18-2007, 08:50 AM
wish you good luck. i heard that all the toyota swap were a pain to get running because of the elecronic.

ATC-Eric
05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Everything from the dash back has been replaced. He has everything the car needs. Its been in the works for a couple months now. The motor runs, he just has a few gremlins to work out.

Im going to get him on here, he can give a little more info...

phreakboy
05-28-2007, 07:52 PM
if I was closer I would be more than happy to help, unfortunatly diagnosing through the computer can be a pain. Has he tried for help on mr2oc, or mr2board.com?

gravelord
05-28-2007, 11:46 PM
IM SORRY! i really am. i spent ALOT of money on my MR2, and went to swap engines, let me tell you, unless he actually brings it somewhere that REALLY knows what theyre doing, (i dont care how much experience he has with cars) this thing is going to eventually sit there, until it reaches the junk yard regardless of how much he spent on it. thats just the way it goes... i wish i wasted my money on ANY other sports car besides that car. what a waste of my time and money.. really... try to convince him to sell it on ebay to get something else. best advice i can give. those cars are a absolute nightmare.

phreakboy
05-29-2007, 06:50 AM
IM SORRY! i really am. i spent ALOT of money on my MR2, and went to swap engines, let me tell you, unless he actually brings it somewhere that REALLY knows what theyre doing, (i dont care how much experience he has with cars) this thing is going to eventually sit there, until it reaches the junk yard regardless of how much he spent on it. thats just the way it goes... i wish i wasted my money on ANY other sports car besides that car. what a waste of my time and money.. really... try to convince him to sell it on ebay to get something else. best advice i can give. those cars are a absolute nightmare.

Wow you sound like you had a bad time with one, which is very unfortunate however its really not right to entirly discurage one person due to you own issues. There are plenty of people that have done swaps without any problems, everything from 3rd gens motors- Beams motors- Taurus SHO motor-3800 pontiac motor-caddilac northstar- To the all out race cars like jekyl and Hyde and even the MK1.5(second gen turbo in the first gen mr2). The point is anything is possible it just all depends on what you want and how much you want it. Deno plumley the guy that first ever did the mk 1.5 was told over and over than it was impossible and that it would never fit, never work and so on. He wasnt some major engineer he was more joe schmo with and mr2 that knew what he wanted. The point is why go putting someone else down by saying that they wont figure it out rather that saying hey I cant help you but good luck I am sure you will find the answer and fix it.

Heck if you even wanted to relate it to trikes there are a lot of people here that have done what everyone else said wasnt possible at one time or another. Turning a ninja into a trike-cr250 into a trike- brand new 450r into a trike - 500cc motors in tecates and 250rs - tri-shee. In life we never know until we try maybe we end up sinkin tons of money into it and still being irritated but it the end when he drives the car/we ride our trikes you/he/someone else will all realise that it was worthwile mearly for the sense of accomplishment.

ATC-Eric
05-29-2007, 11:37 AM
For the record he got all the wireing issues figured out. Now theres another issue. The motor he bought took a crap on him. Right now he's thinking that he blew a head gasket, and possibilly cracked a piston. I keep thinking it shouldnt have done that, he keeps saying he just overboosted at one point.

The thing is smoking like a chimeny, and ticks. Its real sad to watch him work on that thing so long, just to see it crap out when it finally gets done.

Graelord, you sent yours to the scraper??? What for?? :wondering