PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have exp with Video Surveilance??

Dirtcrasher
05-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Long story short...

Posted awhile back about lending a buddy 1000$, he has yet to answer my calls or give me a single dime.

I'm taking him to small claims court. He told a mutual friend that "I'd get mine" if I were to pursue this legally. But, what option did I have?.....

I know his style, he is a sugar in the backhoe tank kind of guy and I can't lock and watch everything.

So, I need and want to install an camera that will watch about 75 feet forwards (my driveway), turn on by motion and record to a spare PC hardrive I have and can view/save daily.

Can anyone offer advice or help with a system that will view a vehicle etc and does not have to be a perfect clear picture, just enough to see who it is??

I'm not even certain if this is the proper system I need but I need something and those were my thoughts. If you have experience or know someone who has done this - please offer your thoughts. I don't want to spend a fortune but I will invest a few hundred bucks if I must.

Thanks very much....

Howdy
05-19-2007, 01:12 AM
I'm not a expert, but I do have some knowledge and history of security camera's.

x10.com is a cheap way to go. You can record on VHS tapes, or a digital set up ( I have no clue on how to do it digitally though ). I have a couple x10 camera's and they don't do too bad. I have never used the motion record options, but they are available. I just use a timed recording ( 2 different VCR's ). I fast forward through the tape and can catch most stuff that is needed. Oh, the one camera I have does a VERY good job catching sound as well.

Another option is go to Sam's Club and get one of their security camera's with night vision ( Aprox $30 ). Then hook it up through a VCR or 2 and record that way. The down side to this one ( Sam's Club one ) is the fact they have a red light on the top that shows when it's power on. You might be able to cover it up and hide it. This is a smaller camera ( fit in a coffee cup with room to spare. But a BIG plus is that you can see very well in total darkness. I have one of these but haven't tried using it for long distances. I do know it's awesome at 5 - 20 ft though.

Howdy