PDA

View Full Version : need help from you gearheads!!

dirt bike dan
05-20-2007, 08:26 PM
ive asked before but i never got a answer, i ride a shaft drive klt 185 it is geared way too low, how if possible can i change the gear ratio? taller tires arent a option. :wondering

pickleweasel_00
06-05-2007, 11:08 PM
the only thing i could think of is get into the case and change some gears or change the rear axle gears (probably best option) if they are even available. But I've never gotten into a shaft drive system before so I dunno, just trying to throw some ideas to ya! I would assume that if there are gears in the axle to change, than it would be like swapping sprockets

dirt bike dan
06-06-2007, 03:58 AM
yeah i appreciate it i just dont know where to find a different ratio. maybe one of the newer models has compatible parts, i gotta do something!!

tecate kid
06-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Don't bother, for what you will gain on top end, figure double that lost on the bottom. If its that bad, make your motor rev more, or step the tires up some. I have taken auto rear ends apart and they can be a PITA, so I am sure a atv one would be a lot worse.
tecate kid

dirt bike dan
06-07-2007, 12:36 AM
damn, i could lose alot of bottom though!! ill keep it as is i guess. it just sucks that i beat everybody till i top out at 43 and then the bigger bores pass me then!!

cr480r
06-07-2007, 03:17 AM
it just sucks that i beat everybody till i top out at 43 and then the bigger bores pass me then!!

Make 'em follow you around some corners...:lol: