PDA

View Full Version : Greensburg kansas Tornado

smokinwrench
05-25-2007, 01:25 AM
3 weeks ago an F-5 tornado hit Greensburg Kansas. It destroyed almost the entire town of 1,600 people. I have an aunt and uncle that live there, they own 1 of 20 something houses that survived with minimum damage. A guy that I work with lost everything that he owns. He has very good spirits about it (he said you have to smile and laugh or you just end up crying). Insurence was good to him but they would trade there old house and posessions for the insurence check in a heart beat. They have not found any of there wedding pictures or many other unreplaceable items.

The Red Cross is there giving out free lunches to all the workers. Others are there giving there time for free, days at a time. Cities, counties, state departments, from all over are donating equipment and labor. It is just amazing to see how people are giving to help this town get back on there feet.

I was there today and will be tomarrow setting up a D11 dozer to push debris into a fire. It is really sad to see between 1,100-1,400 truck loads of house scraps end up here everyday. The town is now 40% cleaned up. While we were working today I noticed 2 toys that were shoved into the dirt, 1 was a stuffed purple bunny the other was a plastic toy of some sort, both must have fallen out of trucks on the way to the burn pile.

If your worst worry in life right now is $3 gas you dont have much to worry about! Trust me my life is very smooth right now compared to whats going on in this town.

Pictures of town http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=greensburg+kansas+tornado&rs=0&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-501&vf=

I can't seem to load pictures of the devestation in town. Trust me the pictures in the link don't do it any justice. It is one of the saddest things you will ever see.

My day today.

ScottZJ
05-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Awesome Wake up call, smokinwrench! So many times when there are problems or issues in our lives, we think they are horrible or the most important thing in the world, but we all need to step back and look at the "big picture". The trials and tribulations we go thru are just a drop in the hat for others. Always remember there could and Will be worse situations in your life, so stay positive and remember you are not alone with your issues. The best way to deal with them, is from family, friends and church members. Stay true to what you believe and keep a positive outlook on life..........peace