PDA

View Full Version : symptoms of vapor lock

honda_atc200es
05-25-2007, 07:07 PM
i finaly got my trx200 runing and after i drove it down the street it died, the most logical reson is oil and vapor lock. my definaition of vapor lock is when gas fumes cannot escape a container causeing a build up of pressure, that pressure needs somewhere to go which without a relase valve ends up being the petcock valve. i told my dad i solved the problem with the quad, i said its vapor lock, but he dosent belive me, could someone give the proper cause, solution and definition of vapor lock so i can show my dad and rub it in his face. thanks

filipinoredneck
05-25-2007, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't irritate the bank if I were you.:lol:

3Wheelers4Life
05-25-2007, 08:17 PM
heres the definitions
vapor lock
–noun an obstruction to the flow of fuel to a gasoline engine, caused by the formation of bubbles in the gasoline as a result of overheating.

vapor lock
n. A pocket of vaporized gasoline in the fuel line of an internal-combustion engine that obstructs the normal flow of fuel.

vapor lock
noun
a stoppage in a pipeline caused by gas bubbles (especially a stoppage that develops in hot weather in an internal-combustion engine when fuel in the gas line boils and forms bubbles that block the flow of gasoline to the carburetor)

the solution is to get a release valve

honda_atc200es
05-25-2007, 09:35 PM
thanks, thats mostly what i thought it ment and its probably the problem.

icp4life162005
05-25-2007, 11:11 PM
I think your problem would be more along the lines of a vacuum lock. Plus whats it hurting if you would try to start it with the gas cap off besides your/your dads ego/pride?:confused: It really isn't that big of a deal to at least try it. Hope I was spot on with the help, and good luck with it.:beer :beer

P.S. Keep us/me posted with whether or not it taking the cap off helped.

Bryan Raffa
05-25-2007, 11:17 PM
I had a float stick once and filled the cylinder full of gas over night.. went to kick the next day and the kickstart would not move at all, like it was seized,, pulled the plug and the pipe and drained, and it fired right up

TimSr
05-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Your odds of getting vapor lock on a gravity fed short piece of hose is between incredibly slim and probably impossible. Your dad is right, but if you feel the need to continue to argue with him and "rub it in his face", Im sure he will be impressed and respect your wisdom and maturity.

honda_atc200es
05-26-2007, 10:09 AM
hahaha i see your point, i just like to prove my dad wrong he is always pecimistic when it comes to the quads and he keeps tellin me i have to wait and put it in a shop