PDA

View Full Version : Have to cut the R up

Tecate250
05-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I am starting to get around to fixing my 83 250 r.I have encountered 2 bolts which I can not get out. You guessed it the swingarm bolt and the front motor mount. I have heard of the swingarm bolts being hard asses to get out. Any Ideas? I was thinking of cutting the swingarm "spacers" out with a grinder and drilling out the front motor mount. These "spacers" do they come with a swing arm rebuild kit? Are the r"s bearring or bushing? The motor is junk and needs to come apart for hopefully just new bearrings to the crank and a bore job.

Tecate250
05-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Can someone please help me. I want to get to my r project.I now have most of the red paint off the air box. Just buying time and doing something that will need to be done anyway. I also noticed 2 holes in the same spot on the bottom of the frame. (under the foot peg mounts) Are these here on purpose? Can you get these bikes to have a power band? this bike had nothing. Its like where the power band was supose to kick in, the bike would have no more power.

toocheaptosmoke
06-03-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure what comes with a swingarm rebuild kit, but have you thought about switching over to plastic swingarm bushings? xsystem sells them here, I got a set and they worked great :beer

Daddio
06-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes ,those bolts can be hard if not impossible to get out in one piece. These same bolts are also becoming hard to find. We had one with the lower engine bolt seized into the case. We had to mount the engine in a milling machine and drill the bolt out.

200x Basket
06-05-2007, 08:14 PM
soak it and be patient. apply some heat and take it to be pressed out. you will destroy it and be on the search for a new one. The $20 that i cost to have it pressed out will be WAY cheaper.

pickleweasel_00
06-05-2007, 11:05 PM
on my tri-z i had to work on the swingarm bolt with a big punch and a big hammer. Took awhile to get it to finally move but it eventually came out. Not sure if the r's are similar or not but i would think you could break something loose unless it absoulutely seized together

1upfront
06-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Can someone please help me. I want to get to my r project.I now have most of the red paint off the air box. Just buying time and doing something that will need to be done anyway. I also noticed 2 holes in the same spot on the bottom of the frame. (under the foot peg mounts) Are these here on purpose? Can you get these bikes to have a power band? this bike had nothing. Its like where the power band was supose to kick in, the bike would have no more power.

I think the two holes you are talking about are drain holes for trapped water and I think you might need to lean out your main jet to get the lost power in the upper rpm range you speek of.:)

Tecate250
06-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Well The swingamr bold came out. With a cutting tourch since both ends were junk. And I am currently drilling out the front motor mount.

200x Basket
06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
sounds like you need to read and obey your own signiture.

Billy Golightly
06-06-2007, 07:28 PM
get a bigger hammer and it'll come out I'm sure.

Tecate250
06-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I have not drove the r yet.lol