PDA

View Full Version : help installing cd player

mean350
05-29-2007, 05:54 PM
im putting a sony cd player in my chevy k10 1979. i had it wired up and then the 2 hot wires touched and sparked and now i got no power. i checked the fuses and nothing. the fuse in the cd player is good too. i checked the wires with a test light and there in no power going to them can someone please tell me what happened? thanks tyler

SYKO
05-29-2007, 06:08 PM
red wire to cd player= constant 12volts (can be run from battery/with inline fuse) yellow wire=ignition power (makes cd player turn off and on when vehicle key is turned on and off) this to can be run from the battery, you just have to remember to turn the cd player off, some where you blew a relay or large fuse for the lighter power (main red wire in dash)

mean350
05-29-2007, 06:13 PM
where would the relay or large fuse for the lighter power be located at? in the fusebox? thanks for the reply too

SYKO
05-29-2007, 06:19 PM
yea, sometimes the main wire may not even have a "fuse" so to speak and a fusable link instead wich could have burnt up, so... just run you some new wires and jam out! the fuse box should be under the drivers side dash above the kick panel

mean350
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
where does the yellow wire run to? the red wire i can run to a always hot in the fuse box right?

SYKO
05-29-2007, 06:54 PM
read above, the yellow wire can essentially be spliced into a wire that has "power" only when the key is on, if you cannot find a wire to do so, then you can splice it in with the red you just have to remember to turn off your cd player as it wont turn off when you shut your truck off.

mean350
05-29-2007, 10:52 PM
i hooked both the yellow and red wire to a ign. on power source. it works i just got to buy a remote for the player before i use it. there are no buttons at all on the face plate which kinda sucks. oh well and thanks for the help

SYKO
05-29-2007, 11:00 PM
you can also just put a toggle switch on the YELLOW wire then you can turn it off even though it dosnt have face buttons

Jim mac
05-29-2007, 11:20 PM
on a chevy, look on the fuse block there should be open spades marked ign. and one for ACC hood the yellow to the ACC spade. that way you can run the cd without having the car on. Jim

Erics350x
05-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Did you check the fuses for the lighter and dome light? On some they run off of one or the other.