PDA

View Full Version : could you justify going into dept for somthing like this?

oldskool83
05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
long story short..........

2 summers ago a guy i knew wouldnt take me best offer on a super clean sportbike (2000 suzuki GSXR750 with 3200 miles and aftermarket exhaust) he wants $6500 and got no bikes in 6 months so i offered him $5000 cash 3 times but he said $5500.

the 3rd time after getting shot down i decided to not bug him anymore, i knew he wouldnt sell it since it prices were to high. i kept the $5000 and used it towards a home. 2 years later i screwed my bike it, was talking to the wife and said i wished i gave him $500 more 2 days ago, yesterday the wife was not home at night and i thought id be nice and get the paper and merchendiser....i was bored and look at it and the 1st paged i turned i saw the bike i tried to buy 3 times 2 summers ago this exact time period.

now 2 years later i got a wrecked bike (its rideable just not 100% safe) a morgage ($700 a month but i pay more) and no have no where near the amount of cash he wants for the bike now....$5600 but he is still kinda high. $4600 would be more like it.

anwyway my wife said go look at it again and take a loan out on it. the only lown i got out is for my house with i own like $78,000 on yet. i know i'm young but i dont know if i can feel comfortable taking a lown on 5 grand for like 8% for a year since im pretty strapped right now.

need advice from the older members that in my situation.

its very nice, look just like this:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/fzrrkid/778899.jpg

SYKO
05-30-2007, 03:18 PM
man sports bikes are cheap! I would personaly wait till a better deal came around and use saved up cash, wich I know saving money up is a pain in the rear but, its a much better alternative to having another loan, also remember on top of just the loan you now have another machine to insure. Dont give in to being a impulse buyer, im one of those, I will blow money when you would lleast expect it! lol, my gf keeps me in line though, thats why I still have a house over my head.

3Wheelers4Life
05-30-2007, 03:38 PM
nice GSXR, it depends how bad you want it, i personally would wait and find one cheaper, but you only live once...

dizasterzrfun69
05-30-2007, 10:17 PM
I personally wouldnt do it. You can find bikes cheaper and theres no reason to go into debt for something thats not that hard to find. Im sure you dont NEED ( we are all guilty of buying "toys we dont need but we WANT :lol: ") it either. Now if it was an extremely rare model at a good price, THEN it might be worth it. Just pay for what you already have and then later on you can get a bike and not be in debt.

KASEY
05-30-2007, 11:26 PM
well the only thing i can say,,,,,,,,,, here in AZ. you can ride all year,,, BUT in PA, how hard is it going to be making payments on something that will have to set in the garage through all the bad weather? and sport bikes depreciate pretty fast,,,, i don't see it holding its value ,,, even if its low miles,,, there is always a newer model just around the corner it seems like,,,

Jim mac
05-31-2007, 12:46 AM
So whats a 7 year old bike really worth? it seems he only dropped the price 900 bucks over a two year time, and its probably got more miles on it. Rule of thumb to me, is its YOUR money. Your job is to get the most for every dollar spent. Thier job is to get the most of your money. Be it a sport bike, house,walmart. If you have or can get the money, Id just shop around, wait for someone that has to sell one.
Wife and I went to buy a new car a few months ago. Had the cash looked for over a month, cool thing, after looking at all the cars we could have got, realise we didnt need one. Just wanted one. Ended up buying a CD at the bank instead.

82300R
05-31-2007, 12:50 AM
i would wait and scatch up some cash for a nice down payment to ease the loan amount. plus keep an eye out for a better deal.(you never know). BUT thats easy for someone else to say cause when we want something if we can make it happen we will do it. kinda of contradicting advise.:lol: just do what you think is best and makes you happy.:beer

cr480r
05-31-2007, 01:20 AM
If your buying on time... may as well buy new... Sell or part-out your wrecked bike and put some money down on a spankin' new one...

oldskool83
05-31-2007, 07:28 AM
i decided to fix mine. his bike is clean as a shownroom floor model but hes way to high. i really need to save money right now after spending a good $6,000 in repairs and upgrades to our home this year. i am sure its gonna sit as it did 2 years ago. ill have to stick with my trike build and fix my fzr600. i think i needs steering steem bearings so its worth 30 bucks to try and fix the head shake.

trying to find used sportbikes well taken care of is a nightmare....its not ever day a 20 year old keeps a nice sportbike or rides it right....

johnny's X
06-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Not worth the money. rockets are dirt cheap right now. Go to your local bike shop and they have new ones sitting there since last year they would sell for that price, and if your credits good 0% financing. MY thoughts are 3500 sounds more like it

84honda200s
06-01-2007, 12:02 PM
i would wait man. get the house almost paid for and any other stuff you may have. then worry about a sport bike. who knows maybe by then you will be able to get a ninja 900 or a bosa 1200 turbo edition for 5 grand.

just my 0.02

3 weelin geezer
06-06-2007, 09:36 AM
PFFFFT!! For that kind of money, I would get new. Did you look for road rash on that thing? Probably dropped it stunting and wants to unload it at what he paid for it.

SpeedBump
06-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Like most of the others already said...if you want one REALLY badly...save up some money...sell off the unwanted bike/bikes/parts....and if you plan on taking care of it, holding onto it for many years and not just thrashin it like most others do...buy new, buy EXACTLY what you want, don't settle for one that is almost the one you want, or you will be looking to unload it next season to get the "one you should have bought in the first place!"

Its nice to see you didn't just jump right in and get in a bad situation. Good thinkin!

oldskool83
06-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Its what i want but, in 3-5 years ill want somthing different. i offered him a fair price 2 years ago and he stated he didnt want to loose 1/2 of the bike....it cost him about 9 grand years ago. as of right now i cant even aford to fix my bike, its screwed up and does not ride safe but i gotta get to work. his bike wasnt stunted, he was 24 when he got it and that was a few years before this stunting craze came out in 01/02ish. its really mint, showroom condition but i cant even aford ot offer him a low ball offer...like $3700-4000 because i got damn carpenter ants in my roof/rain gutter at the front of my house...looks like i gotta find money to fix that and posibly take down a 90ft 50year old oak tree in my front yard...

...this really sucks.

SpeedBump
06-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Spend the money on your house...don't buy a bike! LOL... Looks like you got more important things to spend what income you have on. Sucks...been there...done that....Betcha we all have! Good luck with it.

oldskool83
06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks, on the + side my boss told me today he has me review ready for me. (should see more $, just not sure how much, 5 grand would be nice)

3 weelin geezer
06-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Phfft! no way. They only want to give you a nickel or dime....If you made thousands of dollars for him you might get lucky and recieve a quarter!