PDA

View Full Version : 86 motor question

10-23-2002, 04:45 AM
To All the atc 350x guys and others!
I have a question about the cylinder of a 86 atc 350x. I bought a spare motor and was checking it out and found that it has some surface rust in the cylinder. I was wondering if I have to bore it out or can I carefully clean it out with something. The rust doesn't appear to have pitted the cylinder and seems to only be surface rust. What can I clean it out with? Or do I have to get it bored out? Please, give any advice in the matter. Also, another thing that I need advice on is I have a small chip on inner left hand side case and was wondering what product I could use to repair it with/seal it?
Thanks for all of your advice in advance!
K.H. :?: :?

MR ATC
10-23-2002, 07:50 AM
well at the very least you should "hone" out the cylinder then after that is done it should be measured for wear and out of round then you can determine if it needs to be bored (most likely) or if you can just put a piston in. as far as case repair alot of it depends were it is but i prefure to have all my repairs done by welding them. there are other methods that i won't go into (jb weld) but they are not as permenant and good as welding.