PDA

View Full Version : Teaching math to today's youth.

TravEX
06-06-2007, 06:34 PM
My nephew sent this to me, thought it hits close to the mark!

The evolution of teaching math!

You purchase a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl takes your $2 and then you hand her 8 cents from your pocket. She stands there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, looking confused and staring at the screen on the register.You sense her discomfort and tried to tell her she should just give you two quarters in change, but she calls the manager for help. When you try to explain the transaction to her, she just looks at you and cries..Why do I tell you this?.Because it demonstrates the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

Teaching Math In 1950.A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What ishis profit?

Teaching Math In 1960.A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80.What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970.A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980.A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20.Your assignment: Underline the number 20..

Teaching Math In 1990.A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20..What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question:How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cutdown their homes? (There are no wrong answers ).

Teaching Math In 2007.Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100.El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero hahecho?.DogHouse Recording & Productio n, Inc.6319 Forbing RoadLittle Rock, AR 72209(501)565-WOOFwww.doghouse1.com "BANDS' BEST FRIEND"

team-red-rider
06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
AMEN BRO!! not to offend any Latino's on the boards but it really F$%kin pisses me off that this is country is turning into the "USM" United States of Mexico!

SYKO
06-06-2007, 07:44 PM
hey!! im part mexican! I take offense to that!! lo, no realy i am. lol, but my mexican family has been in america for many generations, and served in 3 wars, were not a bunch of rio grande' swimmin fools like the other ones! ha!

Yamahondaman
06-06-2007, 08:00 PM
HEY SYKO .... You know what OPRAH Say's ?? ... "WE" are ALL 10% of the Color that we don't think we are !! WAZZZZZZ UPPPP ???? :lol:

team-red-rider
06-06-2007, 08:14 PM
heh srry alan

SYKO
06-06-2007, 09:13 PM
HEY SYKO .... You know what OPRAH Say's ?? ... "WE" are ALL 10% of the Color that we don't think we are !! WAZZZZZZ UPPPP ???? :lol:

BUAHAHAHHAHAHA!! I only wounder what you are!! and besides that WHY THE HELL ARE YOU WATCHING OPRAH??? you gettin all loose wristed on us??:p