PDA

View Full Version : New Member Says Hello

Robbie Z
06-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Great site. I am a new member and hope to post more often. Just wanted to send props for the site and keeping trikes current. It's great to find a community of people into three wheelers. I am the proud owner of an 85' Tri-Z in near mint/stock condition (hope to upload a pic soon); honda 200x; and soon to be owner of an 85' Honda 250r (to be delivered tomorow, if all is well). I hope to post pics of the tri-z and 250r shortly. The Z has been a restoration project ongoing for about 5 years...and excepting plastic polishing (original plastics) and new decal set, she's almost done. The 250r is clean as well.

Robbie Z

ATC-Eric
06-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Glad to have you aboard Robbie! :beer

This is a great site, with a ton of great people and information.

Cant wait to see some pics. :welcome:

SYKO
06-07-2007, 12:57 AM
FRESH MEAT!!!! WHOOO HOOO!! welcome to the end of all your free time!!! and in fla 2!!!! next door!! lets go racin!! YAMAHONDAMAN

Robbie Z
06-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Just picked up the 250R today, pretty stoked. The trike is in great shape. Anyone have any tips on jet adjustments for "humid" air...? Trike came from West Coast to East Coast and although the altitude is probably not much different, the air on the east coast (Florida) is much more humid than the west coast - curious if I should expect any jetting issues...headed out this weekend to truly test ride the R....

ATC-Eric
06-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Do a plug chop, and jet/adjust accordingly.

heres a thread on jetting, it will give you everything you need to know about hooking that R up just right!

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=55086

It looks good in the pic, but its only an inch big. Got any bigger ones?

Robbie Z
06-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the post. Although I have been riding trikes since I was 10, I have to admit I am no mechanic - can you elaborate on the "plug chop" - I am assuming check the plug to find if she's running lean or rich, etc. and adjust...SINCEREST THANKS for the link on jetting, I need all the info I can get on the carb stuff. The R has a brand new pipe as well, and she pulls strong in my limited front yard (just didn't want to tear up too much grass in my yard)..so I am headed out to the country this weekend for an extended session.

Here's a pic of the R and a poor pic of my Z (which is in restoration) and I will have better pics up soon on the Z. The Z just got a new top end (bored next size up with Wiseco Piston) and the first time the can was ever opened in 22 years - you should have seen the stock piston, it was trashed), needless to say, i need to break it in...she's purring though.

QUESTION ON OIL RATIOS: I run 30:1 in the Z, but the manuals all say 20:1 and people say run 50:1 - I think I will stick with 30:1 on the break in and then split the difference and stay with 32: or 40:1 thereafter, any thoughts or experiences? I plan on keeping plenty of spare plugs handy...hehehe...

ATC-Eric
06-08-2007, 12:30 AM
To plug chop, you warm your engine up on a fresh plug. Then you do a run through 4th gear. At the top of 4th, cut the motor, and pull the plug. You'll be looking for a cardboard color in plug. If its black, its to rich. If its white, or ashey, its to lean.

The ratios of 20:1 are from a time when petrolium was not as good a quality. Now with higher quality oils its safer to run a leaner mix.

I break my motors in at 32:1, and work my way up every tank. I was running 50:1, but I think I am going to either stick with 40:1, or 32:1. There was an experiment done by some guy a while ago that Billy posted a link to about how the 2 strokes gain power with a thicker oil ratio 20:1 vs 50:1, which is also considered a richer mixture. The guy took it all the way to an 8:1 :eek: mixture to where it would bearly even run, but it put out more power then any other mixture! I just assume stick around 32:1 myself, but you will find that EVERYONE has a different method, mixture, and oil preference.

My next oil adventure will be with Blue Marble Im thinkin, Ive heard good things.

Thats a good lookin R! Good luck with both the machines, you have a nice little collection going. :beer

edog
06-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Bigger pics are needed.

RedRider_AK
06-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the boards my man! Have fun playing with your two waterpumpers!

Kintore
06-10-2007, 04:47 PM
40-1 or 32-1 is standard all across the board. Im running 40-1 cause I like to cut costs and less smoke but still rich enough that if you haul on her she puffs a bit- thats the ticket :)

Billy Golightly
06-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey welcome to the forum Robbie. I run Blue Marble oil, 50:1 in everything I own (except for the 500 when I'm experimenting with methanol) . The oil ratio has a lot of dependency on what exactly your running. High quality racing oils like Blue Marble, Klotz super techniplate, Maxima Castor 927, Golden Spectro, Redline Synthetic, etc are all pretty safe lubrication wise at 50:1, depending on what exactly your doing with the engine. Your OEM oils like Honda GN2, GN4, Yamalube, etc can be ran at this same ratio with slightly less wear protection IMO. You can also run cheap stuff from Walmart and the dollar store but its best to use that at higher ratios like 32 and 20:1 :)

LonesomeTriZ
06-10-2007, 06:07 PM
What part of Florida is Destin in?

Bryan Raffa
06-11-2007, 07:23 AM
hey Robbie:welcome:

honda250sx
06-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Just think of all the goodness you missed in the 5 yrs of ongoing restoration. Thank god for search function!!! Welcome to the boards man. And like SYKO said the end to all free time in the armchair.

oldsking86
06-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey homie! Being a FL boy we better see them trikes riding around somewhere haha