PDA

View Full Version : 250R Wants To Turn Right ...

Robbie Z
06-08-2007, 09:35 AM
So I grabbed the gas in 2nd gear on my new (to me) 85' 250R, as expected the power band lifted the front wheel skyward, and again in 3rd gear, but the trike wants to take off to the Right when I lift the front wheel off the ground...any gueses on what may be causing? I am hoping (against hope) that perhaps the rear brake caliper is dragging (as the rear brake doesn't work and needs to be bled) or perhaps a tire pressure issue (which I am checking all out this weekend) -what I am really thinking is either the front forks are bent (although this is not visible) or the swingarm is slightly bent...? ANY IDEAS? ANY Links to aftermarket extended swingarms (if its the swingarm, I want to go mild extension and combine with extended axle (nothing to extreme), just a little more stability. The current swingarm is stock, as is axle. Rear Right Rim is bent ... I am thinking the R took a hard spill at some point in her life...Any help or suggestions on how to trouble shoot would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robbie Z.

Derrick Adams
06-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Your problem is much simpler than that. You need to adjust your tire pressures in your rear tires. If the bike is pulling to the right, add more air to the right rear tire and/or lower pressure in the left rear tire.

Occasionally, rear tires will wear unevenly as well which in effect makes one a smaller diameter than the other. With a solid rear axle, such as in the 250R it naturally will want to go in a circle. Imagine taking a small soda lid from Mcdonalds on one side of a straw and a Super size lid on the other end of the straw, then rolling it. Thats the same effect your experiencing.

Try your tire pressure first and see what happens :)

team-red-rider
06-08-2007, 10:40 AM
could have something to do with the bent rim AKA possible bent axle???

dizasterzrfun69
06-08-2007, 10:47 AM
could have something to do with the bent rim AKA possible bent axle???

that would make it wobble at most, not pull. Derrick is right, check your tire pressure first

Maico
06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Swap the rear tires side to side and go flat trackin' !!

ATC-Eric
06-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Hook up with a digital tire gauge, you can get them exact!

And for future reference, posts that involve Trikes go in Trikeslyvania forum. You will get more response over there.

Good luck!

3Wheelers4Life
06-08-2007, 04:17 PM
unequal tire pressure, chain adjusters not equal on both sides, unequal tire wear, rider weight on one side of bike.

ATC-Eric
06-09-2007, 12:24 AM
unequal tire pressure, chain adjusters not equal on both sides, unequal tire wear, rider weight on one side of bike.

The 250r dosent have chain adjusters, just a carrier inside the rear of the swinger. That is a good point though, what if the carrior is broken, and both sides arent at the same tension.

Let us know how the tire preasure goes. Start simple.

3Wheelers4Life
06-09-2007, 11:12 AM
The 250r dosent have chain adjusters, just a carrier inside the rear of the swinger. That is a good point though, what if the carrior is broken, and both sides arent at the same tension.

Let us know how the tire preasure goes. Start simple.

thanks, im used to four strokes.

RedRider_AK
06-09-2007, 04:45 PM
My LT80 did the same when it had a leak in one tire. I'll bet you it's probably low pressure.

MyMistress86R
06-09-2007, 10:12 PM
I've got the exact same problem on my 86r when I run my 18" holeshots. They are worn unequally and one is slightly smaller and softer than the other one. I discovered that I have to run 2 pounds difference in pressure from one side to the other to get it to track properly. All it takes is a little time, a few easy wheelies and adding/subtracting air from one tire or the other until you get it figured out. Once balanced and the ideal air pressure is found, I simply used a sharpie marker to note it on the rim right beside the valve stem on each wheel. That way, as I switch them off and on, I don't have to wonder which one is which.