PDA

View Full Version : golf ball cannon???

pickleweasel_00
06-12-2007, 01:55 PM
So since I work at a golf course part time, I have access to free golf balls, I usually find 6 or more a day on the course. Doesn't sound like alot but it adds up quick! My friend and I were contemplating what to do with the crappy ones and we had an idea similar to a potato gun, but for golf balls. Sounds like hours of fun to me :) Anybody done this before or have an idea of where to find plans to make something like this? I'm gonna start searching, so if anybody wants to throw out some ideas, lemme know!

pickleweasel_00
06-12-2007, 02:24 PM
found a starting point, this gives me some ideas anyways...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg5knknqNTU

I think I'm going to make something similar or set up where I can regulate propane into it so it will be quicker between launches

RedRider_AK
06-12-2007, 08:04 PM
My friend makes potato guns all the time out of PVC piping and some fittings. He uses starting fluid as the propellant.

I think a golf-ball cannon might work if you got a reasonably solid material to make sabots out of, maybe some foam or something...

ATC-Eric
06-12-2007, 08:22 PM
He uses starting fluid as the propellant.

He's got to be putting potatoes through trees! :eek:

RedRider_AK
06-12-2007, 08:37 PM
He shot a wooden spear, no metal tip, through a 5 gallon jerry jug that was empty and not held down in any way, lets put it that way. That spear was haulin' some serious ass.

honda250sx
06-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Starting fluid, mad dangerous. I have had phenomenal success with AquaNet hairspray. Highly flammable. Works superb.

As far as a golfball cannon it can be done for sure. I have done a fair share of pneumatic potato guns. To date the best was done with a 2'' dia. 4 foot long barrel. I used schedule 40 pvc. I used two 90 degree elbows. On one end i had a pvc tank 4'' diameter about 25'' long. One end had an endcap. The other end had a reducer down to 2". Inbetween tank and barrel i used a ball valve. I would charge the tank with 125 lbs. Then dump the valve. Worked out great!

ATC-Eric
06-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Aquanet sure does the trick!

Hairsprays the way to go.

pickleweasel_00
06-12-2007, 11:52 PM
oh geez, what did I start? :wondering Ha ha, found a couple of links to give me some ideas...

http://www.advancedspuds.com/golf.htm

http://www.plans-kits.com/project2.html

http://advancedspuds.proboards27.com/

The second one sounds super dangerous but that equals amazing fun! But I couldn't get any of the pics to load. The last one looks like there are actually guys out there as passionate about making a otato fly as we are about trikes :beer

hondahaulic
06-12-2007, 11:59 PM
i've made a few potato guns, one is around 6' tall with about a 6" chamber and about 2-2.5" barrel (dont remember measurements exactly). for propelant i used a rattle can of clear coat and had a grill sparker built in the gun to ignite it.

if you want something kinda cool to mess around with indoors, all you need is one of those long BBQ lighters, a medicine bottle, and a bic pen. take the pen apart so all you have is a plastic tube (your barrel). then make a hole in the bottom of the medacine bottle and in the lid. super glue the plastic tube into one hole, and the lighter into the other. fill the medacine bottle with an extremely small "puff" of something like from a can of axe deoderant. you can shoot stuff like paper wads and Q-tips out of it, and its actually pretty fun if your bored.

dizasterzrfun69
06-13-2007, 12:05 AM
mine is/was for tennis balls or gold balls but you had to wrap duct tape around the golf balls for a tight fit.. We used 3 ft of 6inch diamter pvc pipe for the gas chamber and 3 ft of like 2 or 2 1/2 inch pvc for the barrel. Use the proper connectors, drill a small hole at the bottom for a lantern lighter, install the lighter, cram a tennis ball ( or duct taped golfball) pretty snug into the barrel all the way down almost to the gas chamber, unscrew the bottom of the gas chamber and spray starting fluid into it, put the cap on, point it away from you, hang on and flick the lighter. Mine would blow golf balls through 3/4 inch osb at about 50 yds :naughty: if i still have it in the attic i'll post pics. Like john said though, I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER YOU DO!

Vealmonkey
06-13-2007, 12:06 AM
You can use a potato gun indoors if you wet a shoprag and stuff it down the barrel. It really scares your buddy when he is exiting the bathroom and you light off a potato gun with a wet shop rag just as he opens the door. Beware of flammable fumes though!

dizasterzrfun69
06-13-2007, 12:06 AM
i've made a few potato guns, one is around 6' tall with about a 6" chamber and about 2-2.5" barrel (dont remember measurements exactly). for propelant i used a rattle can of clear coat and had a grill sparker built in the gun to ignite it.

if you want something kinda cool to mess around with indoors, all you need is one of those long BBQ lighters, a medicine bottle, and a bic pen. take the pen apart so all you have is a plastic tube (your barrel). then make a hole in the bottom of the medacine bottle and in the lid. super glue the plastic tube into one hole, and the lighter into the other. fill the medacine bottle with an extremely small "puff" of something like from a can of axe deoderant. you can shoot stuff like paper wads and Q-tips out of it, and its actually pretty fun if your bored.

:lol: you posted right before me

dizasterzrfun69
06-13-2007, 12:13 AM
for some added effects, if you use tennis balls soak them in gas first :naughty:

honda250sx
06-13-2007, 12:20 AM
lmfao, soaked in gas. Its time to build a gun. Kindled intrests!

ATC-Eric
06-13-2007, 01:10 AM

Thats freakin awesome!!!! :w00t:

Time to go get in trouble! :naughty:

super90
06-13-2007, 02:54 AM
Yep, same thing i did with the medicine bottle. Except I used a larger bottle with a 3/4'' tube and shot marbles and other object around the basement.

slothminx
06-13-2007, 01:17 PM
I use hairspray in my potato guns. Works good I tried lighter fluid with no luck.

hondahaulic
06-15-2007, 12:39 AM
now that i think about it, for the ignition setup on my big gun i had a grill sparker mounted on the outside of the gun with 2 wires that were hooked up to a spark plug (with an huge gap) inside the chamber.

hondahaulic
06-15-2007, 12:48 AM
now you guys have got me in the mood to make a big phneumatic potato gun lol. i think we have like a 15-20 gal. air compressor with a bad compressor that i can use for the tank. anybody know of a good valve setup for these? right now im thinking take a big ball valve and make it spring loaded. then put an enormous barrel on it.

atcmatt
06-17-2007, 11:46 PM
I have a golfball cannon. It cranks. Will shoot a hole in a 44 gallon drum anyday. We use deodorant as the propellant, its just a 100mm pvc chamber with a screw lid on the rear and reduced down to 50mm pressure pipe, the goldball fits perfectly down the pipe.

matt

Bryan Raffa
06-18-2007, 09:03 AM
golf balls,,, you need a pumkin cannon!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfG0fYPqj6U&mode=related&search=

fatcat
06-18-2007, 06:57 PM

if you want something kinda cool to mess around with indoors, all you need is one of those long BBQ lighters, a medicine bottle, and a bic pen. take the pen apart so all you have is a plastic tube (your barrel). then make a hole in the bottom of the medacine bottle and in the lid. super glue the plastic tube into one hole, and the lighter into the other. fill the medacine bottle with an extremely small "puff" of something like from a can of axe deoderant. you can shoot stuff like paper wads and Q-tips out of it, and its actually pretty fun if your bored.well im going to be getting in trouble at summer school tommarow lol:twisted: