PDA

View Full Version : 1970's Rupp 440 Nitro engine parts

1upfront
06-14-2007, 05:50 PM
My uncle has a 1970's Rupp 440 Nitro engine he doesn't know weather it still runs or not and I just wanted you snow machine guy's opinion on weather engine parts are still available or not, he said I could have it if I wanted it for a future dirt drag atv project but I don't want to get it and just have it sitting around if parts are obsolete.:wondering

84honda200s
06-14-2007, 08:11 PM
i believe there are still parts around for them. them nitro engines can haul butt for their age. get it and see what it needs. all else fails put it on the side of the road on junk day.

1upfront
06-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info I dont know much about sleds, I would like to get a Polaris trail blazer and stick the Nitro motor in it for dirt drags.:naughty:

Kilborg
06-14-2007, 09:04 PM
I had a Xenoah liquid cooled 440 nitro years ago, fastest sled I'v owned to this day....

Is your motor a freeair or liquid cooled? There are still some parts for them around...Google Rupp Nitro and you'll come up with a website something along the lines of Rupps only and they are a good source.

My Xenoah was rated for in the area of 80hp....On a good day when the jetting was spot on the sled was running 100mph on the oldschool suspension next to the new sleds....Fun machine for sure!

84honda200s
06-14-2007, 09:40 PM
ive had a few fast sleds too. but ive always wanted a nitro. i had a juiced up blizzard 9500 that was scary fast. but thats about it for scary fast lol. i now have no sleds but i do have a few engines kicking around. like a 79 invader engine. its got dual 38mm or 40mm carbs on it with port and polish. i cant wait to stuff it into a old R frame.

1upfront
06-14-2007, 10:37 PM
This motor is an air cooled mid 70's 440cc Kohler dual carb motor thats about all I know, even if it only makes 60hp it would make a wicked dirt dragger out of a Polaris trailblazer, the reason I want to use a trailblazer is because it already uses a clutch similar to a sled and the frame should provide room for the clutch on the sled motor.
I guess I'll let him know I want it but it won't be until this fall before I get it because he lives in Wyoming but my grandpa is making a trip out there this fall to pick up some truck parts and i can have him bring it back then.:)

84honda200s
06-14-2007, 11:14 PM
kool shiz once you get it give the year and stuff. i will get specs and gap settings and stuff.

1upfront
06-15-2007, 12:11 AM
kool shiz once you get it give the year and stuff. i will get specs and gap settings and stuff.

Alright man thanks:)

84honda200s
06-15-2007, 12:21 AM
np old sleds are one of my loves in life lol.

1upfront
06-15-2007, 09:14 AM
I got one more question do you know if these engines are oil injected or just premix:wondering thanks:)

84honda200s
06-15-2007, 10:50 AM
i believe they are premix. once you get it you will be able to tell.

RedRider_AK
06-16-2007, 01:06 AM
All machines back in the day were premix, so it's a safe bet to figure that one is probably premix as well. Also, I think Dennis Kirk offers the most primitive types of parts for your Rupp, such as belts and such.

84honda200s
06-16-2007, 02:22 AM
not all were some enticers were oil injected along with some ski doo citations . like the ss and so on. but you are rite about 90% of vintage sleds were pre mix. just not all were.

jd2210
06-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Rupps/Alouettes were all premix.

In highschool we took a 74 440 and built it into a drag sled for a class project. Awesome engine, one of the best ever in my opinion for power. Only the 250 liquid Arctic Cat (very rare but scarry bottom end) and 440 Yamaha liquid (SRX anyone?) could hold a candle to it in it's day, IMO.

Jason Hall
06-16-2007, 09:22 AM
If Its a kohler you just might have something there. I'm pretty sure that was the engine used In the old Snow Twister's. I've heard that the snow twister was the only one that could take out the Yamaha SRX back In the day. I have a 76 Nitro with the liquid cooled Xenoah 440, It Is a real strong runner. I love the old SRX though. I have a 3 wheeler with a 77 SRX engine for the drags, It's pretty Insane. I just cant believe how fast these old 440's are. My close to stock 79 SRX with some gear changes, carb & pipe mods will run with big tripples for about 400 feet. After that the big dog's take off.

I know a guy here In MI that know those Kohler's real well, when you get the engine find the #'s on the cylinders. He's an old school oval track racer that told me my SRX was a second place sled lol. Wow that made me wonder how fast the old Snow Twister's really were.

84honda200s
06-16-2007, 11:29 AM
ive had 2 pretty powerful sled engines at once i had the 454 rotax that had allot of work done to it and i still have the invader 440 sitting an a go kart frame. i think i may port it shave the head and put bigger carbs on it then put it in a trike.

honda250sx
06-17-2007, 12:45 PM
If it is a Tohatsu then you really have something rare. There are parts out there but you have to hit the vintage sled sites and forums. I know some pretty prominent rupp guys and if need be i can ask them. Xenoah's are tough to find pistons and rings. Wiseco used to make them but no longer do so.

conig
06-18-2007, 03:12 PM
if you want any kind of rear suspension you will need to build a jack shaft and reinforce it. the sled motors put too much torque on the trailblazer tranny's, you may be able to use a 4x4 scrambler tranny some are gear driven. Ive known a couple to do this, some of its tuning but there not blisteringly fast for the work thats involved its hard to put that kind of power down.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/duneaholic/Ced%20Sled%20Quad%20Pics/Rotax_700__1-1.jpg

1upfront
06-18-2007, 04:10 PM
if you want any kind of rear suspension you will need to build a jack shaft and reinforce it. the sled motors put too much torque on the trailblazer tranny's, you may be able to use a 4x4 scrambler tranny some are gear driven. Ive known a couple to do this, some of its tuning but there not blisteringly fast for the work thats involved its hard to put that kind of power down.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/duneaholic/Ced%20Sled%20Quad%20Pics/Rotax_700__1-1.jpg

If I do use a trailblazer I plan on keeping the sled clutch/tranny setup, the reason I want to use a trailblazer is because you can get one fairly cheap and they use a similar large clutch/tranny setup,so when removed the frame will offer plenty of room for a sled motor and tranny, also I agree with the jack shaft setup thanks for the advice conig :)

toocheaptosmoke
06-20-2007, 12:16 AM
If Its a kohler you just might have something there. I'm pretty sure that was the engine used In the old Snow Twister's. I've heard that the snow twister was the only one that could take out the Yamaha SRX back In the day. I have a 76 Nitro with the liquid cooled Xenoah 440, It Is a real strong runner. I love the old SRX though. I have a 3 wheeler with a 77 SRX engine for the drags, It's pretty Insane. I just cant believe how fast these old 440's are. My close to stock 79 SRX with some gear changes, carb & pipe mods will run with big tripples for about 400 feet. After that the big dog's take off.

I know a guy here In MI that know those Kohler's real well, when you get the engine find the #'s on the cylinders. He's an old school oval track racer that told me my SRX was a second place sled lol. Wow that made me wonder how fast the old Snow Twister's really were.

man, I would LOVE to get a hold of one of those SRX's. The 77 was the best from the factory, 98 hp stock, 76 was slightly less as was the following years. Wouldn't mind a sno twister either. :drool:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/toocheaptosmoke/leaping-srx.jpg

RedRider_AK
06-20-2007, 11:55 PM
98 hp stock, 76 was slightly less as was the following years.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/toocheaptosmoke/leaping-srx.jpg

Makes you wonder how often they tore the track apart... :naughty:

1upfront
06-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Man that thing looks pretty awesome!!

84honda200s
06-22-2007, 02:25 AM
they haul butt too. between the srx and invader ltd 440 they are still taking down newer sleds. them old racing sleds are beast. i had a 9500 and i bet it might maybe hang with a ltd and srx. big maybe. but a stock 9500 i dont think could hang with em.

toocheaptosmoke
06-22-2007, 09:29 PM
they haul butt too. between the srx and invader ltd 440 they are still taking down newer sleds. them old racing sleds are beast. i had a 9500 and i bet it might maybe hang with a ltd and srx. big maybe. but a stock 9500 i dont think could hang with em.

ya, the ISR made that 15 year rule to keep the old sleds from beating the new ones :lol:

84honda200s
06-22-2007, 09:34 PM
lol yup some of them old sleds would haul butt. some could even be called scary fast i think. ooo yea sorry for jacking your thread. didnt mean to but when ever someone starts talking vintage muscle we just cant help it can we toocheap. lol

toocheaptosmoke
06-22-2007, 11:30 PM
ooo yea sorry for jacking your thread. didnt mean to but when ever someone starts talking vintage muscle we just cant help it can we toocheap. lol

yup, vintage sleds are addictive like trikes. :w00t:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/toocheaptosmoke/twista.jpg

RedRider_AK
06-24-2007, 01:09 AM
What I wanna know is, how were they able to haul that much butt, and yet have such crappy suspension...

84honda200s
06-24-2007, 01:35 AM
lol ive bin wondering that myself. i think they put all their resources into the gitty up and go. but man im telling ya them srx, invaders, and blizzards where some of the many fast vintage muscle. my dad had a jd500 that hauled butt. the poor thing had a busted speedo cuz it got maxed out all the time lol. there are countless old muscle but the ones i named are the most known.

toocheaptosmoke
06-24-2007, 11:10 AM
why you stand back from the track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu1VU5-gr9o

85hondaatc125m
06-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Wow, just got reading this thread, cant belive I missed it, some good subjects here. About putting the engine in a trailblazer, I have a Polaris cyclone and have a spare 503 rotax engine, I took the base off of the engine and lined it up with the empty frame(its currently just a roller, no engine trans ect. in it) and with a little andgle grinding the base would fit absolutely perfect because the frame, and the base are angled at the same degree, I was thinking about doing it until I though it would rip my tranny apart so quick I wouldnt know what happened, but if you look in the Mad-scientist liar of the forums a guy dropped a 2cyl skidoo engine in a trike, you might be able to get some idea's from that. And with the fast skidoo's, im not sure what you guys consider vintage, for me it is 1985 and under, if that is so I hear that the el tigre 6000 was the fastest stock sled. I got a Blizzard 9700, I hear they are crazy fast sleds too, and I cant wait to get it running and for winter to come. My neightbor has a newer(maybe 1990-95?) polaris indy 500 I think it is, I want to race him, see if my sled can hold its own against newer ones.

84honda200s
06-24-2007, 01:43 PM
yea them 9700s were dam fast off the line but ive herd their top speed needs some help. but thats why they made stiffer springs and after market clutches. you should be able to hang with the 500. but if its the 600 indy xlt special you may have some problems. but hook some juice up you have him lol.

im hoping to work on the quad this week. it will be a huge pain though. i need to cut and stretch the frame.

Jason Hall
07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
What I wanna know is, how were they able to haul that much butt, and yet have such crappy suspension...

The old sleds hauled so much butt, because they were light as hell & had big power from a small engine.

We have Ice drags at a local sportsmans club a couple miles from my house every year. In the 440 class the 77 SRX Is by far the king. They have one sanctioned race a year & 2 open no rules races a year. In the sanctioned races they make the SRX add weight (heavy rider HA HA), the SRX still kicks ass against the new sleds.

I love the pic of the MERC Snow Twister leaving the line. Them babies are RIPE Runners also.