PDA

View Full Version : Honda Ohtsu NOS tires $55 Chevron Tread

micahstclair
06-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Ok, I was here looking at the Hondaline accessories from the early 80's and saw a set of tires called Chevron, made by Ohtsu, They are just like the US90 Balloon tires that are very sought after, but they have a normal rim, 22x11-8, I thought they would be great on my US90 because I can't find a decent set of original balloons that are in my price range, SO I call my Honda dealer and ask about the Chevron tires, and at first he has no Idea what I am talking about, then he goes and looks in the "vault" aka storage closet, and he comes back and says, you won't believe this, I have 4 brand new Ohtsu Chevron tires, and the price..$55 ea. HE also said he has a NOS rear fender for a 110, which he said you can't buy anymore, DUH, and Ohtsu doesn't even make tires anymore, so I think I hit the jackpot, anyone use those Chevron tires from the Hondaline? How much do you think a set would be worth?

1upfront
06-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Good to see you've joined the 3ww forum:welcome:
I think you will have alot better chance of getting your questions answered here this site is wicked when it comes to trikes:)

super90
06-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Ohtsu dosent make tires anymore? Isnt that what all hondas come factory with? I know my honda shop has a full wall of ohtsu tires.

team-red-rider
06-16-2007, 04:34 PM
yes ohtsu still makes tires...

deathman53
06-17-2007, 10:07 AM
they discontinued alot of older model atv tires, I was told they are concentrating on truck tires or something instead of atv tires. Yes, ohtsu doesn't make alot of the orignal trike tires anymore and the only thing left of them is dealer and warehouse stock.

micahstclair
06-18-2007, 11:07 AM
So how do you buy them? I looked the internet over and got info about being sold as Dunlop or sumimoto, or some crazy thing like that, on the Ohtsu website I see nothing about atv? Maybe you have to buy them from Honda.

BigRedRunner
06-18-2007, 01:22 PM
So how do you buy them? I looked the internet over and got info about being sold as Dunlop or sumimoto, or some crazy thing like that, on the Ohtsu website I see nothing about atv? Maybe you have to buy them from Honda.

This is funny. I found these same tires while looking up something totally unrelated on Google. The ones I found are made by Carlisle and are called Chevron as well. I saw them and thought the same thing.... ATC90! Looks like I might be able to make a restoration of my childhood US90 after all.

micahstclair
06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi, yeah I found the carlisle tires as well, they are like the bridgestone version of the us90 tire, with on V, the Ohtsu tire original, and chevron that I found have more of an N shape, but those too would look sweet on a 90

BigRedRunner
06-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi, yeah I found the carlisle tires as well, they are like the bridgestone version of the us90 tire, with on V, the Ohtsu tire original, and chevron that I found have more of an N shape, but those too would look sweet on a 90

I think the Chevron would surely give the right look for the back. What do you think would work for the front?

micahstclair
06-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Obviously some kind of sand tire, but I don't know of any that would give the big wide balloon look. Let me know if you find something.

1upfront
06-20-2007, 12:50 AM
For your front tire you could do what I did, smooth front sand tires in for 11 inch wheel are no longer available so I took a used Kenda front max front tire a few 5 packs of fresh razor blades and a good pair of channel locks and started shaving off the knobs I just grabbed each knob with the channel locks lightly pulled and with the other hand carefully sliced it off,don't be afraid to change blades frequently, after you get started it gets easier and the key is to leave a small amount of the knob there, after you get all the knobs shaved you will need to use an air grinder to get what little is left of the knobs off and to do the final smoothing, I also removed the tire identification from the sidewalls with the grinder, now don't get me wrong this is a lot of work but well worth it. In your case you would probably need a 110 or 200s front wheel and tire but I don't know much about the US90 and what is compatible with it, also to shave a tire it must be mounted on a wheel and inflated.
I hope this helps you if you decide to go this route, oh and here is the end result of the tire I shaved:)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/lrdunlap/q2.jpg

BigRedRunner
06-20-2007, 01:33 AM
I feel like I'm hijacking this thread. I found Carlisle rib tires, but not in 22s! :( This one kinda has the right look. I think those tires were one of the most distinct features of the early ATCs.

Maico
06-20-2007, 10:47 AM
For your front tire you could do what I did, smooth front sand tires in for 11 inch wheel are no longer available so I took a used Kenda front max front tire a few 5 packs of fresh razor blades and a good pair of channel locks and started shaving off the knobs I just grabbed each knob with the channel locks lightly pulled and with the other hand carefully sliced it off,don't be afraid to change blades frequently, after you get started it gets easier and the key is to leave a small amount of the knob there, after you get all the knobs shaved you will need to use an air grinder to get what little is left of the knobs off and to do the final smoothing, I also removed the tire identification from the sidewalls with the grinder, now don't get me wrong this is a lot of work but well worth it. In your case you would probably need a 110 or 200s front wheel and tire but I don't know much about the US90 and what is compatible with it, also to shave a tire it must be mounted on a wheel and inflated.
I hope this helps you if you decide to go this route, oh and here is the end result of the tire I shaved:)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/lrdunlap/q2.jpg

Cool lookin' bike...but your front caliper is on the wrong side:D

micahstclair
06-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Yeah, it is hard to duplicate, but both of those are valid options. have you seen the ohtsu chevron tires, look at the Hondaline accessories ad in from the website under HOnda Brochures, you could use those in the back and then the carlisle chevron up front, it is more centered then the Ohtsu.